Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Outdated Queen Songs (Sounds)

forum rss feed
Author

tomnever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jul 04, 20:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whisperer suggests in another post that TSMGO sounds outdated.

For me it didn't.
As "strange" as it could seems (as Queen is an 'old' band), ANY Queen song sounds outdated.

Even Hot Space songs sounds really HOT.

I guess (and think) that the production stuff on every Queen album was outstanding.

IMO, AOBTD is the best example. A lot of songs of that period sounds outdated (KISS' I Was Made For Loving You' is a good example : a very very very good song, but a studio production that is a bit too 'disco' and 'trendy' (over)dated...)

AOBTD sounds as it was produced yesterday : clear vibe, great and poweful bass sound... great vocals and guitars... cutting drums. A masterpiece.

Anyway, what do U think ? My opinion is that Queen didn't follow any trend, but anticipated it.

"Surrender to the city of the fireflies

Dance to the devil in beat with the band

To hell with all of you hand in hand"
Under Pressure user not visiting Queenzone.com
Under Pressure
Bohemian: 989 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 04, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that a number of songs on the first two albums sound very date indeed, but that was bound to happen as they were borrowing much of their style from Zeppelin.

I find it very weird, though, that the majority of their songs sound very modern, and are not dated in the least.

"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." - FM
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 04, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The start of Play The Game is awful. It's very 80's (as is the video).

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 04, 14:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't get me started. To my ears almost everything they produced in the 80s sounds terribly dated. I enjoy it the same way I enjoy going to a museum from time to time, but most museums become boring after you've visited them once.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 04, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lord Blackadder wrote:

The start of Play The Game is awful. It's very 80's (as is the video).

http://danno169.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/play-the-game.mp3

Problem solved! ;D

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 04, 23:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hijack My Heart sounds outdated to me. Also, God is Heavy sounds outdated. Those sniffles were so mid-80's.....

Man Made Paradise
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 02:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that well-programmed analog (=old) synths can sound better than any modern ones. Think of the `Action This Day` sax solo for example, much better and more human than any 2004 keyboard can do. Same for `Sail Away Sweet Sister` intro.

The only out-dated part of them imo (also Kiss and U2 and other bands) are the drum machines. `Staying Power`, `Action This Day`...

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 04:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm with Hank...
(Though a lot from The Miracle does stand the test of time and some from Innuendo does not, IMHO)

Freddie May user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 221 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 06:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

STL intro (Caaaaaan.....anybodyyyyyyyy find meeeeeeee somebodyyyyyy toooo loooooooooove) sounds really outdated for me :-/

Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 07:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess you all don't download all those Queenconcerts from the past? They're probably outdated even more, because look how Freddie's dressed and what about his hair!

In my view those who are complaining about Queen music being outdated, don't LISTEN to the songs (anymore). Just leave your Queencd's (or probably mp3's) in your pretty cabinet for 3 months and then start listening to them, and I mean really listening. You will hear new things.

New artists can still learn from that "outdated" music by Queen. And it will never be outdated for me.

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 07:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Both WORKS and AKOM in my opinion sound awful- they always did, but nowadays it's really evident... Dated badly...

Mayboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6181 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My mate thinks "The Invisible Man" sounds very 80s and outdated...i quite like it though

"I'm going up Buchanan Street

With a box of fireworks

And two bottles of

Tizer"

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rien, if I find something sounding outdated, doesn't mean I find it bad. And with outdated sounding, I don't know about the others, I mean mainly production-wise. Example: In the days Innuendo came out I found it a true masterpiece songwise and production wise. But now, when I listen back to it, the songs are still great but it's the production that makes it sound outdated. In this case for instance because of the electronic drum-sound or some synthesizers and samples. Those are 'sounds' that are outdated. The 70's Queen-stuff isn't outdated (again SOUND-wise), because it's just vocal, piano, bass, drums and guitar. Those instruments are still in use today and basically sound the same. That's why it can't be outdated in the sence of the definition I give to that word.

Am I making sence? ;-)

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 11:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I don't seem to get it then I guess.
"terribly dated, awful, boring, dated badly, does not stand the test of time"...

I have to look in the ASL-thread to see if the "complainers" were around in the early 70's or even 80's and are able to make those "outdated" remarks. Ah well, what is outdated to them, brings back memories to or even still surprise some others.

Perhaps I am a Stepford after all... :-)

Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This thread has baffled me somewhat. In 17 years as a Queen fan, I cant say as I think that anything sounds 'outdated', Queen havent made a proper studio album since 1990 so changes in technology ect ect.... But nothing really sounds outdated to me. This thread is a bit lame.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stepford Rien??? I think not my friend, Im with you all the way on this one!

Chom own mudder fukker.
Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is outdated, every decade has his own proporties (sound).
The 70´s got guitar and drums (more heavy) and 80´s got more synths and the 90´s got both of that. Ofcourse will one song sounds more outdated then another song. But thats the charism of the sound of a decade.
All it got to do with taste.

by the way Queen will never become outdated, only older.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

Rien, if I find something sounding outdated, doesn't mean I find it bad. And with outdated sounding, I don't know about the others, I mean mainly production-wise. Example: In the days Innuendo came out I found it a true masterpiece songwise and production wise. But now, when I listen back to it, the songs are still great but it's the production that makes it sound outdated. In this case for instance because of the electronic drum-sound or some synthesizers and samples. Those are 'sounds' that are outdated. The 70's Queen-stuff isn't outdated (again SOUND-wise), because it's just vocal, piano, bass, drums and guitar. Those instruments are still in use today and basically sound the same. That's why it can't be outdated in the sence of the definition I give to that word.

Am I making sence? ;-)

Believe it or not, you are!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 12:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you B_M_W :-)