Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 46664 Latino concert postponed

forum rss feed
Author

Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've just read on the Off. Queen Website and Brian's site that the 46664 Latino concert has been postponed.

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 18:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

postponed?

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 20:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Postponed.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
iron eagle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3793 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 04, 20:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

first on
then cancelled
then on again
then cancelled again

i know quite a few very disappointed people

i got a way with the boys on my block.. :-)

RogerTaylorNet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am indeed disappointed. I was about to book everything and combine it with a short holiday. It's a real shame it's been cancelled because it would have been important. I just would like a bit more details why. I hope they (46664 concerts) will put some infos on the website soon. Sorry for those who booked already everything and now lose a lot of money....

Shameless Advertising!

http://www.roger-taylor.net
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 05:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

- flight
- rental car
- hotel
- 2 weeks of vacation
- 120 euros for tickets - will I get the money back?

This is the last time I booked a concert with alleged Brian/Roger participation. Maybe it's not their fault but Jim Beach is the director of the concert and an organization of that caliber just should not team up with such amateurs. Queen and all the other stars who agreed to perform could not look more stupid now. A concert cancelled 3 weeks before it was supposed to take place for no reason given is sure a first off.

I do not want any google ads here.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 05:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry to hear that YV :(

If I were you, I'd sent a VERY pissed off e-mail to Brian's soapbox with as subject "WWRY musical - I love it!" then it's sure he'll read it.

I'm glad Niek & I didn't book anything.... The last news about it was that all artists would only perform 2 songs each... Now I'm a big fan, but paying 300+ euros in total to see B+R play WWRY/WATC once more - no thanks.

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hear hear Luca!! What a bunch of amateurs. We could have expected that they had learnd something from South Africa, which was also cancelled first time around!

Good thing they didn't send this message one day later or I would also have thrown a lot of money in the sea...

YourValentine

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I could send Brian an email just because he is available but this time it's sure not his fault (other than Dallas or the Lonnie Donegan Tribute), so it would not be fair to blame him for this.

I thought it would be very likely they play their 46664 songs plus WATC with Montserrat Caballé. There were other interesting acts on the set list, mainly my favourite Spanish guitarist Paco de Lucia.

Trips like that are always a good chance to meet some friends from the internet and there was already a nice group together - all people who spent all their money and their annual vacation for the occasion and will be bitterly disappointed now.

Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 06:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I´am sorry for you all, but the www.46664.com site got the same announce.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is really sad is that Brian has yet to make a comment on his Soapbox about this. Since it was announced, there have been posts about the Las Vegas WWRY cast, but nothing from him on the cancellation. A simple or brief confirmation would have gone miles for fans, but this continued silence is probably pissing them off.

DJ's the man we love the most
Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 18:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do not agree with you hangman. Nothing personal!:-)
You don't know why Brian hasn't responded, he is on a short holiday with his family, and perhaps he is sorting things out in the background.
He was deeply involved with the first 46664 concert. In this case it might be different, though I hear that Jim Beach is still managing it?

Btw I can believe he does not post all his messages or WWRY pictures every day by himself. Most likely he will provide the webmistress with an amount of material for a certain period.

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
QueenSite user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1191 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 18:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a long time since I wrote here. A few words: I didn't plan to come to see the 46664 gig, simply because in last months I've become a bit disillusioned about Queen. I mean, in the last 20 years I made lots of sacrifices to see them live, both as band than as solos. I really enjoyed Brian and Roger in Modena last year, but this Musical stuff and everything is getting really ridiculous. Brian is dedicating all his efforts to this, I understand it is lucrative, but, c'mon, I was in London two years ago in holiday and I didn't dream going to see the musical: why should I spend lots of bucks to see a bunch of youngsters covering Queen?
But anyway, about 46664 Latino, I don't think Brian and Roger have to be blamed, government over there is giving lots of problems to the organizers, I think they made their best efforts.
I didn't plan to go (as I didn't go the Zucchero gig in London) as honestly I'm quite tired of seeing Brian and Roger playing as backing musicians to shitty singers or youngsters. I quite regret the times when, as 10 years ago, Roger played gigs in very intimate venues in Italy (less than 500 people), or when Brian played for 100 fans in Rome in 1998, and so on. They didn't play the stadiums then, but at least we got some real music that was worth every sacrifice. Now I won't travel for miles to see Roger singin just a 1'30" edit of Radio Gaga and Brian getting excited while playing some guitar licks for people like Zucchero, who I frankly hate. And I wouldn't travel so far to listen to Monserrat Caballè.
I will be ready to travel again when Brian and Roger (together or on their won) will play again some REAL concerts that makes it worth.
I'm sorry for those of you who already bought tickets for the Latino show (the 46664 cause is great and must be supported), you'll surely get refunds.

http://utenti.lycos.it/queensite02

Please visit my site devoted to Queen! Lots of rare pix and memorabilia featured!
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 04:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fucking amateurs.

I swear I'm done. Bought tickets for Donegan tribute but Brian cancelled because he had a press conference in Vegas. Went to see SAS Band's 10th anniversary gig in England, hoping that Brian could get his arse from Dominion hopefully play at least one song but not a chance. Bought a bloody expensive trip to Spain, then the concert was said to be cancelled or postponed, then Brian announced it's OK and then it's postponed again. I know some of that they can't be blamed for but what the hell can they expect from the fans after all this?

I swear, no more of these "Queen" concerts unless they play in Germany, max. 100 km from my country.

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 06:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

unfortunately the show is now cancelled

Please visit my site devoted to Queen! Lots of rare pix and memorabilia featured!
Babel_esp user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 325 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 06:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is what I can add

SOURCE: http://www.los40.com (very reliable source!)
LINK: http://www.los40.com/articulo.html?anchor=l40actnot&xref=20040804l40l40not_2&type=Tes&date=

La versión en castellano del '46664' para recaudar fondos contra el sida, que tenía previsto organizar la Fundación Nelson Mandela en Benidorm el próximo 21 de agosto, ha sido aplazado debido a las diferencias económicas entre el promotor y el consistorio de la localidad alicantina. La direccióndel acto se queja de que el ayuntamiento "ha incumplido de contrato al no hacer efectivas las garantías bancarias económicas y financieras pactadas para cubrir los costes de producción del evento". Por su parte, el consistorio declara que los organizadores no han logrado el nivel de calidad del cartel de artistas, que prometieron en su momento.

['46664' latino concert has been postponed due to economical differences between the promoters and Benidorm's city council]

Por Agencias / los40.com Alicante (04/08/2004)
------------------------------------------------------------
El coordinador de Grandes Eventos del Ayuntamiento de Benidorm, José Amor, informó a los medios que los organizadores del show prometieron que en éste no faltaría ni una de las grandes estrellas latinas como Ricky Martin, Shakira, Chayanne, Alejandro Sanz o Luis Miguel. Sin embargo, al final no estaba confirmado "ni uno solo de ellos". "El concierto que se nos vendió en enero de la Fundación Nelson Mandela no se parece en nada al cartel que nos propusieron definitivo el 29 de julio. Se trataba de artistas de segundo y tercer nivel", argumentó el concejal de Benidorm.

[Major artists (al least for spanish public) such as Shakira, Chayanne, Alejandro Sanz or Luis Miguel aren't confirmed yet as it was promised by the organizers]

El concierto "46664 Latino" estaba inicialmente concebido por la Fundación Nelson Mandela, que organizó el primero en solidaridad con el sida en noviembre de 2003 en Ciudad del Cabo (Sudáfrica) con algunas de las principales estrellas internacionales, como un gran evento musical al que asistieran las primeras figuras de la canción latinas.

['46664 Latino' was ment to be a major musical event in which the biggest international stars were going to perform]

Estaba previsto que el concierto se celebrase en el estadio municipal de fútbol, con capacidad para 30.000 espectadores, y que tuviera un presupuesto de unos 3 millones de euros, cifra que ha ido reduciéndose paulatinamente ante la merma de calidad del cartel.

[The original concert was going to have place in the Municipal Stadium (capacity 30000 souls) and the budget was around 3 millon euros - amount that has been reduced as artists were unconfirmed]

La caída de artistas hizo que el pasado 29 de julio el Ayuntamiento comunicara al productor ejecutivo del concierto, Luis Alvarez, que no garantizaba el concierto, al considerar que no tenía la calidad inicialmente prevista y ante el hecho de que a falta de unas semanas solamente se habían vendido 600 entradas.

[The lack of some important artists was the reason why on 29th July the city Council announced that the event wasn't guaranteed at all given that only a few weeks to the scheduled date only 600 ticket had been sold]

QUEEN RULES!

"There's no return to conscience after the crazyness of a stormy love..." [HDS95]

Greetings from Spain
YourValentine

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 06:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Se trataba de artistas de segundo y tercer nivel"
there were only second rate and third rate artists....

"The lack of some important artists was the reason why on 29th July the city Council announced that the event wasn't guaranteed at all given that only a few weeks to the scheduled date only 600 ticket had been sold"

This is just disgraceful - 600 tickets!! I cannot blame Brian for being silent - what a terrible humiliating situation. It really does not matter much who is to blame, it's probably the worst fiasco in Brian's career- considering that Nelson Mandela himself announced the event. I really feel bad now for Roger and Brian, they don't deserve this, after all it was supposed to be a charity concert.

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 07:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The truth is that on the bill are second and third rate artists. I would never attend such a concert if it wasn't for Brian's and Roger's involvement. Even if it was outside my house. I really don't know whom to blame but I'm mad as hell. What did they expect, 30000 people going to see some Latino singers?

Compare with the artists Modena - Queen, Deep Purple, Pavarotti, Ricky Martin, Bono, Lionel Ritchie. What a HUGE difference.

Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 07:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is such a shame. Wasn't planning on going myself, but I can understand why people are upset/angry.

I don't think you can blame Brian or Roger really in this instance. Maybe Jim Beach has come accountability for promotional errors, but most of all I think it was the lack of big name artists. The artists announced may be well known in Latino culture, but I didn't really know many of them. Perhaps the Latino theme was wrong from the outset.

Zuchurro I only know from his record with Paul Young, but would not have remembered that had he not been at the tribute and played with Brian since.

Monseratte Caballe, ok could have been a nice touch for her to sing, but that wouldn't make me rush to expend the effort to get over there.

I think this was the problem. Not enough promotion and the wrong set of artists. Perhaps those 600 tickets were Queen fans who couldn't get to South Africa? Lets face it, Brian and Roger aren't going to be able to carry the gig on their own. If they had some more globally popular artists, I think the show would have sold much better.

I wouldn't be surprised if this re-surfaced later this/next year with a bill more like the SA concert.

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes, right. Moreover, Benidorm is really a strange choice, maybe in Barcelona or Madrid it would have been better. Anyway, sorry for the 46664 lesson but I hope Brian and Roger learn something from this, maybe a little bit more promotion for it instead of working their asses off for the bloody musical!