Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > I know the NME hate Queen but...

forum rss feed
Author

Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I looked at a NME magazine (it has glam rock on the cover, with Bowie and Queen and T.Rex)and inside it basically slates Killer Queen and Flick Of The Wrist (As a double A side single) saying Killer Queen trys to be funny and clever but isnt and Flick trys to be dark and is just awful. Something to that extent. Just thought id inform you guys.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NME, Rolling Stone, Spin...

It doesn't matter. THEY ALL SUCK!

Besides, they still believe that The Strokes and The White Stripes are the biggest thing since The Beatles.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
the oppositionist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 882 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NME suck. they really slagged off nearly every song by queen, saying they would fail, then of course they did well, which just proves that nme dont know what they are on about!

melinadeacon@queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When they slate songs like those above, it does make you wonder whether they're trying to preach to people. You know? Like trying to slate something all the time so folk won't go near it and just take their word for it.

I think they think they're some kind of authority on the matter of music! To show their power over people. Weirdos. The same thing happened with two films last year, Tomb Raider2 and Swept Away. Not great. True. But no-where near as bad as the critics said.

I'd rather listen to someone who presents a proper picture of the good and the bad. Rather than a one-sided opinion.

Peace,
Adam.

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The whole business of music critics is more about personal matters with the artists rather than criticizing someone for their true music talent.

Artists like U2 or Clapton could put out the crappiest album, and yet they'll always get excellent reviews.
And what can we say about 'The Beastie Boys' who Rolling Stone considers legends, and they're nothing but a bunch of untalented New York white kids obsessed with wishing to be black.

On the other hand the Queen albums from 'Queen II' to 'A Day At The Races', and also 'Innuendo' never got more than 3/5 stars. I guess there's too much homophobia going on

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What was it exactly that happened. Brian said they wouldnt go near NME ever. Even in the early days. So do you think that's why NME slaughter them whenever they get the chance?

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed MrJingles. I have never bought a music rag, Ive got loads of magazines with features on Queen but as for the NME, Rolling Stone ect...they can kiss my arse.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All those magazines just pick and choose their favorites, and they don't look at the others with open minds.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Sir Archie 'Tiffany' Leach user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1331 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do these critics actually have any influence? Do you know anybody who buys and reads this stuff?

Didn't the Pet Shop Boys used to be music critics and decided to show how it should be done properly? I'm still waiting.

Nancy Astor : "If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee".

Winston Churchill : "And if I were your husband I would drink it".
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 18:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir Archie 'Tiffany' Leach wrote:

Didn't the Pet Shop Boys used to be music critics and decided to show how it should be done properly? I'm still waiting.

Neil Tennant used to be part of Smash Hits. Not really a critic, more a reporter. Anyway he met that other bloke (heehee), Chris Lowe. I thought they were great up until 1990 and then things went a little too dancey.

Peace,
Adam.

Sir Archie 'Tiffany' Leach user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1331 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 04, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I stand corrected. The memory gets a bit hazy at my advanced age.

Nancy Astor : "If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee".

Winston Churchill : "And if I were your husband I would drink it".
ogre t raylot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 994 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 03:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is this the same magazine I bought and read that states that 'Queen are the best band of this decade' (being the 1970's) in NME's NATO review? - There are two sides to every story.

If you can't stand to read a bit of criticism or a joke about the band you are far too sensitive. Being a fan of Queen from the mid-seventies I've heard far worse comments about Queen than what was printed in the NME.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What magazine were you reading, ogre?? I've read at least one article that was very against Queen and especially Freddie. The "Is this man a prat?" article instantly springs to mind.

Sorry, but it wasn't criticism. It was pure dislike splashed across their pages. Like I said, a proper article should give good and bad points. Not just one-sided drivel.

I see they've done it again with the Darkness. They said the band were shit and wouldn't make it. And when they did, they wanted an interview. But the band remembered what NME said about them. They deserve all they get in those instances.

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 09:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm reading the Glam magazine of the NME Originals, which basically reprints articles as they appeared in NME and MM.

There are some barbed comments about Queen in some of it, but also good reviews as well.

http://www.nmeoriginals.com/archive.php?show=1090537200

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 09:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Sorry, but it wasn't criticism. It was pure dislike splashed across their pages. Like I said, a proper article should give good and bad points. Not just one-sided drivel."

I do believe the band got their 'revenge' in an article published in the NME on the 9th August 1986, when they invited David Quantick to the Budapest show and wouldn't give him an interview.

Krizzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1806 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally NME is a crap mag! THe only use for it seems to be if you are out of toilet tissue, sorry to be blunt but you Brit fans know I am right. Rolling Stone is trash as well and Spin, well don't even get me started!

Kriz ;o)

Long Live Queen!!!

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not wanting to interupt the NME bashing but....

If you'd had given it more than a cursory glance you would see that the Killer Queen/Flick of the Wrist review is a reprint from Melody Maker NOT NME.

Lord Blackadder wrote:

I looked at a NME magazine (it has glam rock on the cover, with Bowie and Queen and T.Rex)and inside it basically slates Killer Queen and Flick Of The Wrist (As a double A side single) saying Killer Queen trys to be funny and clever but isnt and Flick trys to be dark and is just awful. Something to that extent. Just thought id inform you guys.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 14:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, we went on what we were being told by the topic starter. But to be honest, so what? The NME folk do not like Queen and don't show any respect. The latter being the most annoying.

Peace,
Adam.

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 04 Aug 04, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They should just simply call that magazine... ENEMY

Posted: 05 Aug 04, 03:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's today's society all over - jumping to conclusions on heresay and half-truths.

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Well, we went on what we were being told by the topic starter. But to be honest, so what? The NME folk do not like Queen and don't show any respect. The latter being the most annoying.

Peace,
Adam.