Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen II - the demo recordings

forum rss feed
Author

The Left Testicle of Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 55 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's bound to be part of the boxed sets anyway (which Brian tells me will be released sometime in 2006 - six in total, one released every two months), but the Queen II demos are fantastic.

Brian told me that the album did not turn into what they originally set it out to be - the demos are a lot less metally, although they did always plan to have a storybook of songs.

There were 13 songs originally (6 on the white side, and 7 on the black), but one song was dropped off each side because of constraints.

Fantastic. It has a very live feel to it.


Brian May, I should say
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That sounds great!

BUT your username tells me that you are not serious :-(


Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
The Left Testicle of Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 55 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

What are the two songs which were dropped called? And who wrote them?


On the white side, originally written by Brian, was a song called "Deep Ridge".

On the black side, originally written by Freddie, was a song called "Surrender To The City". Of course, you will recognise this as a lyric at the end of "Black Queen" when it segues into "Funny How Love Is" - this was originally a separate song.


Brian May, I should say
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know, this just seems too unbelievable. Plus, I find it unlikely that there's been absolutely no mention of these songs in the past.

Wasn't there someone with a screenname Deaky's Left Nut? Any relation?


Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think anybody's being hostile. We're allowed to have our doubts, as there's not really any proof for or against him. But if what he's saying is true, then great, especially about the boxsets.


Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

The Left Testicle of Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 55 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you'll like "Surrender To The City", but they left it off because it was far too poppy for the album.

Brian and Freddie loved "I Can Hear Music", and "Funny How Love Is" was a blatant homage to the Phil Spector sound also.


Brian May, I should say
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 15:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is absolute bullocks (or should I say one testicle short of the full set?).

You have no idea what you are talking about - as the "Queen II" album is perhaps one of the most fairly complete studio sets. The only missing track is "See What A Fool I've Been" which appeared as a B-side anyway.

It is true some demos do exist - but only as incomplete/variations of the tracks we already know about.

I thought I would call your bluff in the last thread - as it was marginally possible - that you may have known what you were talking about.

Now, you expose yourself as either a fool or a liar.


"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
The Left Testicle of Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 55 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

This is absolute bullocks (or should I say one testicle short of the full set?).

You have no idea what you are talking about - as the "Queen II" album is perhaps one of the most fairly complete studio sets. The only missing track is "See What A Fool I've Been" which appeared as a B-side anyway.

It is true some demos do exist - but only as incomplete/variations of the tracks we already know about.

I thought I would call your bluff in the last thread - as it was marginally possible - that you may have known what you were talking about.

Now, you expose yourself as either a fool or a liar.


What have I done to deserve this?

Bohemian Rhapsody evolved over time - bits were left in, bits left out, and then the song was completed using the available elements.

If that happens with 1 song, it can happen with 13 (or 11 as it ended up).

SWAFIB was NEVER intended as a single and was recorded in downtime. Get your facts straight.


Brian May, I should say
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"What have I done to deserve this?"

Lied. Need I say more?

"Bohemian Rhapsody evolved over time... that happens with 1 song, it can happen with 13..."

No agrument... but you are still talking bullocks in this case, because I KNOW about the exact session, and your facts are NOT accurate. "Queen II" is almost as is. Infact, at a very late stage they had too LITTLE to release, so Brian had to revert to a very old 1968 demo.

"SWAFIB was NEVER intended as a single and was recorded in downtime. Get your facts straight".

I never said it was a single - I said it was "released" anyway. (Which it was). So you get YOUR facts straight.

You may think you can wind-up the guys in here, but you can't me.

Now go away and play with the traffic.




"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
The Left Testicle of Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 55 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 16:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

"What have I done to deserve this?"

Lied. Need I say more?


I have not lied about anything, so yes, you need say more.

John S Stuart wrote:

"Bohemian Rhapsody evolved over time... that happens with 1 song, it can happen with 13..."

No agrument... but you are still talking bullocks in this case, because I KNOW about the exact session, and your facts are NOT accurate. "Queen II" is almost as is. Infact, at a very late stage they had too LITTLE to release, so Brian had to revert to a very old 1968 demo.


I too know about the exact session, and I am sorry you are wrong about this. I'm not sure where you have got your information from on this, but why on earth would I bother to learn the entire history of Queen (including song lyrics and album structures) to lie?

The truth is that, as with Seven Seas of Rhye, Queen had other tracks that weren't finished that they were working on in the early days, most of which appeared on neither album (although SSOR is the only one acknowledged widely to have been in development, and of course is the only one to appear on both albums).

I think someone here is feeling like his nose is a little out of joint, sir.

John S Stuart wrote:

"SWAFIB was NEVER intended as a single and was recorded in downtime. Get your facts straight".

I never said it was a single - I said it was "released" anyway. (Which it was). So you get YOUR facts straight.

You may think you can wind-up the guys in here, but you can't me.

Now go away and play with the traffic.


Oh, put your dummy/pacifier back in your mouth, sir.

Don't you think that I know just a little too much to be a troll?


Brian May, I should say
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thomas are you guys one and the same?

Why are you appologising for someone who is blatantly miss-leading the board?

I am killing this deliberate misinformation before it spreads, and you question MY information?

This is a wind-up. Smell the roses. But I guess this thread sums up this board nicely, on the one hand you have someone like myself (whom you would gladly question) against an unknown with a dubious insulting name in the other.

While I do make mistakes, (and I believe only the Pope is infallible), I thought I may have cut a bit more clout than this!

And yes, my nose IS out of joint. I really can not believe that anyone on this board would accept that Brian would support someone with a name like "The left testicle of Freddie!"

If you are indeed as genuine as you claim - stand up and be counted - and stop hiding behind such a rediculous and degrading title!


"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
The Left Testicle of Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 55 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=#CC0000>hangman wrote:

But now we need more details: how do you know all that? Any more proofs?


Queen II is so over the top because they were put out by the relative lack of impact that the first album had, so in a sense they overdid the follow-up.

Myself, I love Queen II but having heard all 13 songs, it doesn't sound quite complete.

Seven Seas Of Rhye was cut down from around 4 minutes to produce the single version. The full version sounds fantastic, although the version I've heard doesn't sound as good as it could because it was not as heavily produced as the final version.


Brian May, I should say
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I find it hard to believe that a close contact of Mr May refers to himself as The Left Testicle Of Freddie!


Chom own mudder fukker.
The Left Testicle of Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 55 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

Thomas are you guys one and the same?


You're getting desperate now.

John S Stuart wrote:

This is a wind-up. Smell the roses. But I guess this thread sums up this board nicely, on the one hand you have someone like myself (whom you would gladly question) against an unknown with a dubious insulting name in the other.?


I know your nose was put out of joint. Pathetic.

John S Stuart wrote:

While I do make mistakes, (and I believe only the Pope is infallible), I thought I may have cut a bit more clout than this!


I don't know who you are, John, but I seriously doubt you know Queen better than me.

John S Stuart wrote:

And yes, my nose IS out of joint. I really can not believe that anyone on this board would accept that Brian would support someone with a name like "The left testicle of Freddie!"

If you are indeed as genuine as you claim - stand up and be counted - and stop hiding behind such a rediculous and degrading title!


ANYONE who knew the boys would know my username refers to a standing joke throughout the 80s.

I am standing up and being counted.


Brian May, I should say
Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe a strange thing but maybe Mr. Left Testicle is Mr. May Himself.

The Left Testicle of Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 55 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 16:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

omniroy wrote:

Maybe a strange thing but maybe Mr. Left Testicle is Mr. May Himself.


LOL! Not true, I'm afraid!

Certain people are interested in reminding fans that the Queen boxsets are still happening though. So, you could call me a shameless marketing ploy working on behalf of others. You could call me that!


Brian May, I should say
The Left Testicle of Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 55 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

And that joke is?


It refers to an unfortunate occurence which befell Freddie during the recording of "Soul Brother".


Brian May, I should say
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe John Stuart. He has a name, an email address, a history as a collector and contributor to the Freddie box and an excellent name in the Queenzone community and far beyond. I trust his word until I am proven wrong by a Queen release - but I doubt this will ever happen.


I do not want any google ads here.

Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is absolutely an interesting topic.

But Mr. Left Testicle could you prove that everything you said is the truth and nothing but the truth. Maybe you could put a snipped of Surrender To The City on the internet.

Maybe I would believe you, because otherwise you have got a really thick thumb.
Only many other zoners definitely don’t believe you.

I hope that you are speaking the truth



Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 04, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for calling me stupid (weet jij het beter dan) bt maybe you have got an better idea.