Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Innuendo on Fred Mercury tribute

forum rss feed
Author

Mercuryking user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 842 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Aug 04, 08:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn it sucked big time, no wonder they cut it out, that singer just sucks big time

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 04, 08:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like it. Way better than Zuccherro raping Las Palabras De Amor or Liza Minelli's WATC.

Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 04, 09:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hold it Pim, do not touch Liza! :-)
Sorry but I love Liza. Seeing her at the tribute was for me the third time I saw Liza live. And her being there was an amazing surprise for me. (Saw two concerts of her in The Netherlands)

But Innuendo? Plant did not follow the lyrics, but more artists did their own thing with the songs. I think Innuendo should've been included because this was a one-off for Brian, Roger and John playing it live. And I also liked Plant singing those Led Zeppelin lyrics woven into the Queen songs.

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 04, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Plant should've overdubbed the missing vocal. On the whole, I'm not a fan of overdubbing live stuff, but in this instance I think it would've been the right thing to do to include it, as I agree that the rest of it was great - it's just great to hear these songs live, even if Fred's not around to sing them.

Liza is Liza, and her version is very much her. If Fred was a bit of a fan, then I think it was a good decision to have her sing it. What the hell, it's all fun inn'it?!?!?

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 04, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don`t know why people critiscize so much this version. I like it. Well, some lyrics are missing but also that happens in GOFLB at Earls Court, or IAHL at Rock In Rio, so... and the music is fantastic.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 04, 17:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I completely agree, if Plant didn't like the live then do the overdubs. It's not like Plant hasn't done overdub material before; you might call all those Wille Dixon "Led Zeppelin" songs one big overdub.

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 04, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's criticised because Plant got it wrong by coming in too early after the chorus, by mumbling lyrics (because he didn't know them) and generally singing this great song badly. The point being, if you're paying tribute, maybe you should know what you're singing. If you don't, why sing it?
Once again Seb, you post the usual obscure lawyer rubbish about Freddie missing lyrics during concerts. Hardly the same thing. And IMO, easier to forgive. It just happens because, once you've done it over and over, it will occur.

Peace,
Adam.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 04, 19:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMO - the same thing. The Fred one - mistake, the Robert one - mistake. If Fred was going to sing IAHL or whatever, he should know the lyrics. And he did, he just forgot some of them. Not an unforgivable sin.

I like Robert`s performance. More than his CLTCL. And more than a lot of the crap of the tribute - Paul Young and more stuff

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
FreDRicca_MeRcUrY user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 307 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 04, 21:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what are u talking about it was much better than that horrid paul young radio ga ga version eh!

"I'm a wild flower. Somtimes looking quite wonderful in a collection of arrangement but also beautiful when standing alone.
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 04, 22:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes Seb, literally the same thing. But technically not. Therefore a grey area. Apples and Oranges if you will.

Peace,
Adam.

INXS user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 157 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 07:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I understand that people don't like Robert Plant's verison of Innuendo but I still enjoy listening to it, Brian, Roger and John did a perfect instrumental, sounded just like the album version. I was very disapointed when I found out that it was not included in the Freddie Mercury Tribute video which I bought back in 93, then when the DVD was released my hopes were up but than again it was excluded as well (as weel as the first half part of the show which I think is rediculous). Thanks Rien for the link to the Queen web page, I've always been wondering for years if I was ever going to see Robert Plant's performance.

Oh yes we'll keep on tryin'