forum rss feed
Author

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 15:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes..it was bound to happen.

With my being a newer fan I wanted to know what everyone's opinions were on this...what is the most difficult guitar solo by Brian in a Queen song?

I watched an unauthorized Queen documentary the other night and a man on it said that Brian had a huge reach on the guitar bc of his long arms and fingers. What I'm wondering is...does this have the makings for a difficult guitar solo, the "reach" or what does make a guitar solo difficult to play? How fast the song is? I have no knowledge about guitars. I just wanted to see what everyone's opinions are for which Queen song possesses the most difficult guitar solo, the hardest to play is what I mean.

Of course people might disagree on this and that's fine. I just wanted to see if the songs I thought had "difficult" guitar solos in were similar to what more knowlegable Queen fans or guitarists thought.

Shanks!!!!

:)

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have the guitar skills of Elvis (when drunk and lucky) so I'll say 'The Invisible Man'

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know much about the guitar, at least in the technical sense, but I think Dead On Time is probably pretty difficult.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

KJ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 171 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard the "I was born to love you" guitarsolo took a lot of time for Brian to complete.

I think I'll be Clint Eastwood

Jimi Hendrix he was good

Let's try William the Conqueror

Now who else do I like?
Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The longer your reach, the better off you are because you can cover more frets without having to move your hand.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But does that mean you can play more difficult solos or song? what makes the guitar solo difficult?

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 23:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What makes a guitar solo difficult to play?

That's an almost impossible question to answer, because it completely depends on which notes are involved, the speed, articulations, etc. A lot of things are involved mentally as well. For example, if a song is in a strange time signature, keeping your concentration while playing any guitar lick can make it more challenging right there. So it's really one of those questions that needs a more specific criteria to answer properly.

But I have to agree, the solo from The Invisible Man is probably the technically most advanced solo Brian ever recorded.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
jasen101 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 23:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the first solo from "stone cold crazy" can be quite tricky played at the same speed brian plays it.

I personally found playing the decending scale solo from "dead on time" to be harder than the one from "invisible man". "invisible" incorporates a style that the lead guitarist from metallica uses alot.

Freddie: "Yes, we'll have a great big cock fly over the crowd!"

Roadies: "Yeah! Great Idea!"

Freddie: "And it will fly into a great big mouth with a moustache!"

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The style in Invisible Man is called "tapping." It's very easy to do and is probably one of the first things a guitarist gets to learn when it comes to soloing. I've yet to bother about learning past one string! lol

Now, about what makes a solo good. Personally, I think it's about all the little quirks thrown in. Little bends of the strings, light or tough, aggressive picking, etc. etc. It's all down to the guitarists' personal style.

Peace,
Adam.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 08:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Basically stuff from THE MIRACLE is pretty technically advanced, more than on previous records...

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Theres no tapping in Invisible Man. Just chromatic runs

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 09:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken wrote:

Theres no tapping in Invisible Man. Just chromatic runs

I agree. I'm no great musician, but I can play a little guitar and it doesn't sound like tapping on Invisible Man. Tapping would be more like on Princes Of The Universe I think (trying to remember it in my head!). I would expect Invisible Man to be harder than Princes because of this.

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
jasen101 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

agreed. that's not tapping on "invisible"...rather more like reverse hammering on and scaling.

I love the tapping Brian does in the intro to "Gimme the Prize"...I think that's the closest he gets to Van Halen's style.

Freddie: "Yes, we'll have a great big cock fly over the crowd!"

Roadies: "Yeah! Great Idea!"

Freddie: "And it will fly into a great big mouth with a moustache!"

Somebody to loveeeee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 421 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think POTU has tapping. From the same album GTP may have it at the beginning though. Not sure.

Songs that definitly have tapping are One Vision and the brilliant It's Late. This to me is also the most difficult BM solo, as it takes a lot of technical skills as well as feeling (an element lost to "the lead guitarist from metallica"). TIM isn't difficult. It just takes a lot of practice.

Anyone know if the fast Resurrection part is tapping?

Well, tata.

I forgot my password again.
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Princes doesn't have tapping. only hammer ons and pull of from open strings (Which more or less has the same effect as tapping)

One Vision, It's Late, Gimme the Prize are the only Queensongs that have tapping I think (From the top of my head)

And Brian songs: Resurrection, Love Token, Rolling Over (I think), Business (I think)

Not 100% sure aobut the last two. I lost my Brian cds :(

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Catgoddess user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1142 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*hums theme to the x-files

No synthesisers
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 15:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops! I must be thinking of something else. Sorry.

Peace,
Adam.

Sebastian user is on Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As far as being difficult, I`d say his top one is Son & Daughter BBC Version. Also Put Out The Fire.

But obviously it depends on your personal abilities. There can be very technically skilled classical guitarists who can do the chromatic runs Steve Howe put in `Innuendo` (which is beyond Brian imo), but probably would have more troubles with something like Liar. Or vice versa.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dead on Time i would say

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
Virtuoso user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 806 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Bob on every terms of his response.And,of course there's no tapping or Legato on "The Invisible Man" solo.Like FC said, there's only some chromatic runs,not that it's hard if you ask me.

When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power,The World Will Know Peace