Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > When did Freddie tell the boys?

forum rss feed
Author

KJ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 171 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am sorry to bring up this toppic, but I was just wondering when Freddie told Brian, John and Roger about his healthsituation and all the possible consequences.

I guess Freddies health had a big influence on the others too. I do not think that "the cool '80s-Roger" was capable of writing a sensitive song such as Days of our lives in let's say 1984.

I think I'll be Clint Eastwood

Jimi Hendrix he was good

Let's try William the Conqueror

Now who else do I like?
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"was capable of writing a sensitive song such as Days of our lives in let's say 1984."

What about Beautiful Dreams?

Anyway - I think the band started to notice something was wrong while recording The Miracle. If I'm not mistaken Freddie had them all sit down and said "Look, you know what I'm dealing with and I don't want it to be a problem. I want to keep on working and making music as I always did" or something similar.

Sir B.A Baracus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 133 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If Richard had not erased Fatty's Personal and Private Diary of Freddie Mercury, you could easily research that answer for yourself..........

I hath soiled myself, methinks.....
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some people say that Freddie didn't tell them until like 1990 or 1991, but they all knew for quite some time that something was wrong and that he didn't want to be bothered. So they prefered not to ask any questions.

Another version of the story says that Freddie told them about his health condition when they all gathered together to record 'The Miracle' in 1988, but he made them promise him to keep it a secret and not tell absolutely anyone. I guess that only Jim Beach and the guys knew. They didn't even tell their families about what was going on with Freddie. All that Freddie wished was to not be bothered or questioned about his disease, and just keep working like nothing ever happened.

This 'theory' might explain why Queen put their egos aside and decided to credit Queen for all the songs from then on, instead of each individual member.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Krizzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1806 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It could not have been easy for FM to tell his bandmates and close friends the truth about his illness. But they were all getting a little suspicious after the marks on his face and for those that were close to him, on his legs.

But he knew he had to level with everyone. Like Peter (Phoebe) states in his book, it's never easy dealing with a devistating illness be it AIDS or cancer. I recommend his book by the way if you can find a copy, it's a very honest account of FM's life from one who handled his day to day life.

Phoebe is a very honorable man and many ppl who knew FM respect him as a person too. A real nice man, a real human being with a huge heart.

Kriz ;o)

Long Live Queen!!!
Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought they all knew that '86 was going to be the last tour.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 04, 22:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Krizzy wrote:

But he knew he had to level with everyone. Like Peter (Phoebe) states in his book, it's never easy dealing with a devistating illness be it AIDS or cancer. I recommend his book by the way if you can find a copy, it's a very honest account of FM's life from one who handled his day to day life.

Phoebe is a very honorable man and many ppl who knew FM respect him as a person too. A real nice man, a real human being with a huge heart.

Kriz ;o)

I'd like to get the book so I can find out for myself... :) What would you say is the easiest and cheapest way for me to get the book? I certainly won't find it in any store on this side of the pond, will I?

Bob The Shrek wrote:

Nope, but we're pretty sure Freddie knew.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 03:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think he was ashamed of his disease, I think he was probably having trouble dealing with the reality of it, not to mention the reality of his life being cut short.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 04:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who knows? He could have been diagnosed with cancer in 1992, lived another 3 years then died. Then Made in Heaven would have been released in 2000. I like it.

I can't remember where I read it or if it's even factual but I remember Freddie cutting himself quite severely and not wanting anyone to help him seal the wound.. IN MAGMA!

Ignore that.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Krizzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1806 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 08:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To Sir GH:

Check Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble.com for individual sellers. I am sure it was reprinted but exactly when I have no idea:

Check link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-3442713-3689737

Good Luck!

Kriz ;o)

Long Live Queen!!!
Brianmay1975 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brianmay1975
Bohemian: 608 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 08:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bob The Shrek wrote:

No, they didn't know it. Brian said in an interview on VH1 Legends about Knebworth Park'86:
"We didn't have a sense of anything coming to an end then"... But I think in '89 they all knew it, otherwise I can't figure out why they credited all Miracle songs as Queen's. And, besides that, at that time, the disease was obvious on Freddie's face.
Btw, isn't Was It All Worth It (written almost entirely by Freddie) very interesting? As if Freddie asked himself whether devoting his life to the music was really worth it or no. And "yes it was a worthwhile experience". That's the way he wanted to make peace and accept his destiny, I guess...

I LOVE QUEEN!

"My guitar was my weapon and my shield to hide behind" (Brian May)

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The incident with Freddie cutting himself happened with Barbara Valentin (don't know if she's telling the truth). She mentioned that once Freddie was shaving and he cut himself. Barbara then went to wipe the blood of his face and he had a tantrum and he told Barbara to get away from him.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By 86' Freddie might have not known anything.

I think that what made him realize that he might be ill was the fact that a lot of his ex-lovers were carrying the disease.

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to Phoebe's book, Freddie found out in 1987 he had AIDS.

jasen101 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 23:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know Freddie began to seriously suspect he had HIV in late 1985 when he suddenly left Munich for good.

There was a report that he was having blood tests throughout '86. (he was even spotted at a harely street clinic that was known for giving AIDS tests. I have been through an AIDS scare myself...I believe Freddie's doctor would have picked it up in late '85 and probably told him that just the one test was not conclusive. He probably had 3 or 4 follow up tests throughout '86 and probably his doctor told him with out a doubt that he was definately infected in early '87.

Freddie: "Yes, we'll have a great big cock fly over the crowd!"

Roadies: "Yeah! Great Idea!"

Freddie: "And it will fly into a great big mouth with a moustache!"

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 01:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Krizzy wrote:

To Sir GH:

Check Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble.com for individual sellers. I am sure it was reprinted but exactly when I have no idea:

Check link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-3442713-3689737

Good Luck!

Kriz ;o)

The link doesn't work, but thanks for your help! :)

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I remember Freddie cutting himself quite severely and not wanting anyone to help him seal the wound.. IN MAGMA!
Ignore that."

LMAO :)

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
queen_forever_87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: "I'd like to get the book so I can find out for myself... :) What would you say is the easiest and cheapest way for me to get the book? I certainly won't find it in any store on this side of the pond, will I?"

I think you can try www.bol.com....they have a lot of stuff....only I don't know if they deliver in Canada too.....
I hope this helpes....

I wish you good luck finding the book!

"Fuck them darling, if they just don't get it!"

Freddie Mercury

AG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the fan-convention message from '86, John says something about the forthcoming Magic tour, that this was going to be their last tour in a very long time.

I lift my head and smile for everyone - Lost Opportunity
KJ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 171 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 08:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not sure which one of the bandmembers said that it was starting to get a little boring to go in the studio, make an album and then tour around the world. I think it was Freddie?

Anyway, Roger certainly seemed to miss this "boring routine" as he founded The Cross to tour with.

I think I'll be Clint Eastwood

Jimi Hendrix he was good

Let's try William the Conqueror

Now who else do I like?