Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 90's solo work that could haven been Queensongs

forum rss feed
Author

KJ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 171 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 07:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Listening to Brian and Rogers 90's solowork, I can imagine some of the songs could be on a Queenalbum. Of course, with a few adjustments (vocals of Freddie). For example:

Back to the light
------------------
Resurrection
TMLWKY (obviously)
Driven by you
Let your heart rule your head
Just one life

Happiness?
------------
Happiness
Foreign sand

Another world
--------------
Business
Why don't we try again

Electric fire
-------------
Pressure on
Believe in yourself (Imagine Freddie singing this one wow!)
Surrender

I think I'll be Clint Eastwood

Jimi Hendrix he was good

Let's try William the Conqueror

Now who else do I like?
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I could only imagine Freddie belting out Resurrection... :|

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 07:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well this has nothing to topic but I believe that Roger could sing 'I Can See for Miles' to a freakin' T. Or an R.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting topic.

Another World:

Why Don't We Try Again
Cyborg (It sounds kind of like Machines)

Back To The Light:

Just One Life
Back To The Light
Ressurection

For Roger, it's harder for me to picture, just because his voice is more of a contrast to Freddie's, but I think Believe In Yourself, Happiness, Beautiful Dreams and Touch The Sky could work.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 16:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Resurrection`s drum performance is beyond Roger. Perhaps he could have played all the parts and all the toms and the cymbals equally, but the energy and the quality would be considerably lower, and that`s the soul of the song. But, in that one, I guess Fred would do much better the low vocals and John would be great on bass instead of the synth. I`m happy about the rest of it (drums, vocals, guitars and keys).

I think Why don`t We Try Again would have been nice, but it should receive a Queen treatment: Freddie`s piano, John`s bass... in fact for several Brian`s songs I`d put Fred at the piano and John at the bass but leave the drums to Cozy and the vocals to Brian. Nothin` But Blue for example (it already has John`s bass, and perhaps Fred in backing vocals would be great if he did them as an angelical choir like in White Queen).

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 01:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I definitely like this topic! I don't have anything to add to it... but it's nice to see a topic with an original idea and some really good replies.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 01:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always wanted to hear Brian riffing away on Nation of Haircuts, and to hear Bri, Roger and John play On My Way Up in the style of '39.....

Man Made Paradise
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would have loved to hear the band tackle 'Back To The Light', 'Just One Life', 'Why Don't We Try Again', and maybe even 'Rollin' Over' (even if it's a cover).

RMT Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
RMT Fan
Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 05:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thing I am sure of, Two Sharp Pencils would do no difference - Freddie or Roger ;)

---

http://rogertaylor.info

The Free Online Roger Taylor Fanzine "Manipulator"
RMT Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
RMT Fan
Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But really, if it was for 90's work, we could surely find sth suitable. My dream would be No-one But You sung by all three members :) But again, it
's not their solo work, but would do well I think.

There is just one song Freddie wouldn't sing - Old Friends... song for himself? ;)

And for me, he wouldn't suit Nation Of Haircuts.

---

http://rogertaylor.info

The Free Online Roger Taylor Fanzine "Manipulator"
syncursor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 179 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 05:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nation Of Haircuts is definately Roger, I agree. He has more attitude than anyone else in the band and I just can't picture Freddie singing that or Nazis 1994. Foreign Sand would have been a good Queen song, I think. Tonight would have been good, too. I can imagine Freddie singing it in the style of One Year Of Love. Less soothing to the ears and more strong and emotional. Could have been interesting.

"I'm a greedy bitch!"
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 08:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why Don't We Try Again sang by Freddie could be beautiful...
SLOW DOWN performed by queen could be fun, same goes for ROLLIN' OVER (killer track, IMO) or CHINA BELLE...
LOVE TOKEN with Freddie's voice could be great as well... Although I really think Brian made a good job with it.

And last but not least- Driven By You; could be an excellent single for Queen!!!

Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 09:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was actually listening to Another World yesterday and was thinking Fred would've nailed the vocal so well. not that Brian's bad, but I could see Fred's voice fitting it and being much stronger

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another world would be beautiful with Fred`s piano and John`s bass, I agree. I think Love Token could work great with Fred & Brian, Fred & Roger or Roger & Brian doing it (since most of time it`s being sung in two-part harmony)

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.