Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Scans and info about Greatest Hits - WWRY Edition - Best Buy version

forum rss feed
Author

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://members.cox.net/breakfree/ghwwry.htm

Scroll down there for the scans.

Okay, well the DVD is nothing to be excited about. It's just GM & Queen from the Freddie tribute doing 'Somebody To Love', followed by Elton & Queen doing 'The Show Must Go On' from that ballet thing. :-P Excellent quality but that's to be expected from a 10 minute disc.

There's not even a menu.. it just plays 1 title with 2 chapters. It's full frame (but TSMGO is letterboxed) and PCM sound. No credits or anything either, other than copyright notices. Runs 10:16. I was hoping it might say 'from the forthcoming 'Greatest Video Hits 3', but no such luck.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awww, We ARE losers! :'(

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 12:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL. I meant to say 'tossers' or 'rotters' :-P

Okay, I'll be happy to answer any questions. Now I need to make my listening copy of the CD :)

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can live without the ballet video. I can wait until november for the Milton Keynes DVD. I definitely will not be wasting money on this recycled stuff. This is worse than Greatest Shite III.

Anyway, thanks for the info Jeffrey - it saves me a trip to Best Buy.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's a huge waste when they toss in these bonus DVDs that are so minimal in content. A lot of artists are releasing entire video collections as bonus discs with their greatest hits CDs. I would have paid twice as much if they'd included a DVD of some otherwise unavailable videos.

As for the 2001 remastered sound, The Platinum Collection (U.S. version only since it came later) has the 2001 remasters of hits 1 & 2, I'm 99.9% sure from comparing.

I do like having the original single mix of the car song.. and it sounds fab. Though I'm going to go against popular opinion here and say that the MK tracks sound a bit muffled, and Freddie's vocal on TYMD sounds kinda distorted. But they're still decent.

The booklet is so-so. The promised "new liner notes by the band" aren't there. The notes are different than the usual ones, but even shorter and not worded in any way that would indicate it's Brian or Roger talking. And the photos.. LOL.. aside from the one on my site, there's a tinted version of the Queen II inside pic, the usual Queen II cover pic, the SHA cover and that's all.

But for $12 it's not bad :) People pay more than that for scratchy singles just to have a certain version of a song.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really wanted to have Greatest Hits 1 with the ACTUAL cover (and tracklisting for that matter) so, Buying this wasn't a waste for me or my collection. I think I can do without the DVD though. I HATE Elton's versions of The Show Must Go On. ;P

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, me too.. it's just not the same when it's part of a 2 or 3 disc collection :)

I still want the original US version remastered though. I recently bought the vinyl (for $3.25), supposedly in mint condition.. should be here soon :)

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 15:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just realized it has a CD Rom track:
http://members.cox.net/breakfree/art/ghwwry/cdrom.gif
The only thing it does is lead to a page at Hollywood Records which isn't there:
http://hollywoodrecords.go.com/ecd/queen-ghwwry.html

Nice work, Hollywood :-P

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder what they have planned. If anything. :)

Peace,
Adam.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a joke

The Bonus disc includes videos for George's Somebody To Love and Elton's The Show Must Go On from the Bejart Ballet.

Now, what makes this a joke is the sticker listing the vids as STL and TSMGO (no mention of George or Elton) and saying that they have never been commercially released. Problem is, of course, that STL with George and TSMGO with Elton were released on the Greatest Hits III video that came out a few years back. These are not new or "never released."

Either Best Buy or (more likely) Hollywood Records screwed up and lied.

DJ's the man we love the most

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 18:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They lied about the 'unseen photos' and liner notes 'by the band' too, but these things happen :-P

Maybe we'll get an extra special version for the 25th anniversary of Greatest Hits in 2 years. I can hardly wait for that!

rhapsody__87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 971 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 04, 23:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm mad. I was all excited, sped to Best Buy after camp to get this GH deal and like everyone else said, the DVD was no big deal. It said it included TSMGO and I'm like, "oooh the montage video!! Score!"

Of course we had to have Elton John. Of COURSE. Although the one thing I like about the STL video is that there's some different angles than the concert. Right after the audience sings "looooooove", Brian's face erupts into this huge smile and you just don't get that on the DVD (as in, the concert).

...Erica*

"I don't judge others. I say if you feel good with what you're doing, let your freak flag fly."

--Sarah Jessica Parker

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 00:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All I can say is that the MK DVD better be good to wash this awful cash-in taste out of my mouth.

wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blah, Thank god I didnt go buy it

MY GOD spell it write.

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe it's not for everyone, but think about it.. for $11.99 you get the 2001 remaster of Greatest Hits, nice new packaging, 3 tracks which are new to CD and two videos on DVD which might be a little silly, but they're free.

goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually a lot of younger fans probably would have *wanted* the DVD version of STL with George Michael (it was a hit after all)...so I think Hollywood/Best Buy just screwed themselves by not properly printing that on the label :) They should have put in large type that the package contains BOTH versions of STL....

Anyway did anyone notice how clear the intro to Bohemian Rhapsody is now? I thought my truck's stereo was just having a good day, but then the booklet said there used to be a hum in the background that they removed.

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My fault for starting a new topic but posting in the other also.. LOL, sorry :-P

Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 21:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, gang...it's the WORST Queen re-re-re-re-re-release to date. The sound on the DVD is bloody awful...and the CD itself is a huge joke. I tried it on digital and analog speakers and it sounds the same...muddy, heavy and too awful for words.
I'm really, really ashamed of Hollywood Records taking advantage of the US Queen fans this way ("never-before-seen", "rare", "bonus tracks" ---YAAAH! Elektra or Capitol could have done a more than decent job on it.)
It leaves one feeling like they opened a small package on Christmas morning hoping to find keys to a Jaguar...and ending up with a Yugo...

Adam Unger (QueenVault.com) user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Unger (QueenVault.com)
Bohemian: 347 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just ripped the CD into mp3 format and there were clicks here and there. Is the CD copy protected? The disc was completely clean.

Adam

QueenVault.com

Updated October 2, 2016

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 00:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4031527558&rd=1

It's insane.