Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The new Milton Keynes CD/DVD

forum rss feed
Author

icmrocha (The Man From Planet Marzipan) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey guys, i used to have an account here as ICMROCHA but i don't know... i had some sort of problem with that... so, i had to create a new account... odd isn't it???
Well, now let's go to the serious part heheheh
Do you guys now if there's gonna be any overdub on the CD/DVD of Milton Keynes?? Of course Freddie is not working with it, but i mean, audio from some other Hot Space tour concert or anything...
do you guys know anything??

"The years have been unkind...

but kind enough!"
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 08:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm pretty sure there are gonna be overdubs- I don't believe we'll hear Fred's squeak during FAT BOTTOMED GIRLS or Brian's mistake during Brighton Rock Solo... Probably they'll patch it up here and there... Nevertheless- it's gonna be SOMETHING!!! Something much bigger and better than Wembley...

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 08:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yeah!! i really think that it's gonna be MUCH bigger than wembley... i'm really expecting this one.... it's just that.... well, i really would like to hear the guys as they were..... Humans, with the right to make some mistakes... what you think?...
Does this concert have other mistakes? i have the bootleg but i haven't heard it in a long time

but kind enough!"
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

:=[Tom Cat]=: (former ICMROCHA) wrote:

Do you guys now if there's gonna be any overdub on the CD/DVD of Milton Keynes??

Has there ever been an official live Queen release without overdubs?

DJ's the man we love the most
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 04, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Live Magic was definitely clean. All that was done to those tracks was multi-track mixing. I can assure you of that.

The only strange thing is at the end of Break Free, where on "Free"... it seems like a cut, but the ending is also from Knebworth.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
artist_nine user not visiting Queenzone.com
artist_nine
Bohemian: 124 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 03:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would disagree about Live Magic being clean of overdubs.

For example, A Kind Of Magic is clearly taken from the Budapest concert. However, the end bit "will soon be will soon be..." sung by Freddie is overdubbed (or taken from another concert). On the VHS Live in Budapest you can hear Freddie singing the part very low, but on Live Magic Freddie magically gets his voice back and sings much higher.

Could anyone confirm this, or am I wrong?

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 05:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's taken from another concert yes. Same with Live Killers were also some songs are being patched together form different shows...

[StArMaN] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 05:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is not an overdub, this is an editing. Ok they cheated a bit, but there is no proof that somthing was re-recorded.

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This topic of overdubs comes up a lot lately and I have to say I'm torn. On one hand it would be nice if they'd keep the shows as original as possible, warts and all, but I do see how when the time comes for release, they're gonna want to fix things up here and there to make a more pleasing release and hide embarrassing flubs.

The only thing that's certain is they're gonna continue to do this. The best you could hope for is to perhaps let Brian know that this is a concern and encourage them to keep it as minimal as possible.

I've just searched Brian's site and can't find any letters or comments about this.. anyone know if he's addressed the issue before, or perhaps he doesn't want to talk about it? :)

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Non-overdubbed live-albums by any artist are exceptions! Some artists dub more then others but 95 out of all official live album by any artist ever released has at least some overdubbing.

(and yes, edititing is something else!)

Daz85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1802 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 06:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you want an example of a really overdubbed live album, then check out Guns N' Roses "Live Era '87-'93" release. Most of the vocals were re-recorded by Axl in '99! There are also new guitar parts too. According to ex-bassist Duff, the overdubbed were done to stop the album sounding like a bootleg!

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 06:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Or take the Randy Rhoads Tribute album by Ozzy Osbourne! Recorded in 1980 completely overdubbed (ALL vocals) in 1987.

But I understand; this show was the only live-recording of Randy Rhoads. When Randy died Ozz wanted to leave his fans something and this was the only thing that he could give. But if you listen to the original live-recording you hear why the overdubs have been done. Ozz was barking at the moon indeed ;-)

EddieVanHalen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 06:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some guitar parts on One Vision were in fact overdubbed on the Live Magic album, for example in the region between 1:42 and 1:46, there's a slight variation in that lick which can't be played live by only 1 human.

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 07:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hummm but still... i'm not sure about having that albuns overdubbed..... for example, i have got "It's Late" from Vienna '78 (or Montreal, i'm at work now, can't remember heheheh)... so.....
Freddie's voice is on a pretty bad shape on that song... you know... if Queen would EVER gonna release this concert, they would try to overdub it, or not release it at all, because of that... but IMO, it loses all the magic.....
simplifying: for me, the concerts with slight mistakes are the best.

but kind enough!"

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For big time fans yes, no problem with hearing little 'charming' mistakes or whatever you want to call them. But Queen really seems to promote stuff heavily and aims for a bigger audience so I would imagine they're concerned that some new fan might pick up a live show and get a bad impression of the group. Just a theory.

RMT Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
RMT Fan
Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Or maybe they do overdubs because they are Queen, so no room for any mistakes ;P

---

http://rogertaylor.info

The Free Online Roger Taylor Fanzine "Manipulator"

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 09:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, i'll take the first theory, EH...
maybe they're too concerned that people would think that they were lousy at ther concerts or something hehehe...
but couldn't they release just ONE show without overdubs?...
I vote for Knebworth... maybe it's WORTH buying it.. (hahaha what a HORRIBLE joke)

but kind enough!"

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 09:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL :) Yes, Knebworth would be a good one to leave alone.. since it's the last it should be a wholly accurate record of the show, right? But sadly they'd probably go the other direction and say that since it's the last, it has to be PERFECT. You can't win :-P

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 10:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Someday... hahahahahhaha
Well, we (Queen Fans) could open our own record company to make better uncut bootlegs hahahahaha

but kind enough!"
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 04, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DVDs have multiple audio streams - why not have an "original" stereo warts and all mix, and a shiny 5.1 overdubbed one?