Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Hot Space has its merits.

forum rss feed
Author

syncursor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 179 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 02:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, I know I'm gonna get stones thrown at me for this one but I really want to know: What is so wrong with the "Hot Space" album that it turned away so many "Queen" fans? I can understand that some of the funkier numbers were Queen treading new ground but I'd say the majority of this album still sounded very much like Queen and was really only a natural progression from styles that were already introduced on "The Game". Here's what I really like about this album:

Staying Power: Great bass, killer vocals and the Power! Power! Power! segment is exactly that.

Dancer: Funky, I agree, but again, really strong vocals and some great screaming guitar. Not what you'd hear in any other artist's funk song for the time.

Back Chat: Good rhythm. 100% Deacy-writing here. More screaming guitars and Freddie seems to really enjoy this one, making it another great vocal performance.

Body Language: The one everyone loves to bash but I think the humour sells me on this one. I remember my mother saying "Bohemian Rhapsody was a beautiful song so how could he write such trash?" Trash meaning the song's subject matter. She did find it funny. Maybe not the best choice for a single but witty in the same vein as, say, "Don't Try Suicide".

Action This Day: You can't help tapping your feet to this one. Between the constant drumbeat and quick vocals, this song only slows down for the few seconds towards the bridge when Roger throws in the very "Fun In Space"-style synths. Just a fun track, really.

Put Out The Fire: No funk, just rock. Not as heavy, but has similar elements to "Hammer To Fall" and no one complain about that.

Life Is Real: Another Freddie ballad. Sung well with strong emotions. Not worth complaining about.

Calling All Girls: Better choice for a single. Good pop elements to it. Gets stuck in my head sometimes so the formula worked.

Las Palabras De Amor: The best choice for the single but released after the damage was done. Good harmonies and all around pleasing sounds, in a nutshell.

Cool Cat: I always liked this one. Good driving-late-at-night-under-the-city-lights kind of song, if you catch my drift.

Under Pressure: I don't even need to explain this song's merits since most of us agree on this as a classic.

So, there's my 2 cents. I've got my shield up so "Back off, keep cool and learn to change your ways." :D

"I'm a greedy bitch!"
[StArMaN] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm also one of the defenders of this album. The songs themselves are very good IMHO. The only big thing I've got against this album is The lack of consistence of the production. Some tracks are top class (Calling all Girls, Under Pressure, Staying Power) but some are quite awfull ( Back chat and Dancer) with over-saturating vocals and guitars, some problems with drum-machines here and there.

Musically wise, Dancer is very very close to Imagination "Music And Lights. But the latter have an exellent sound according the time of its realease. The Queen/mack team surely had some trouble in producing the funky tracks of this album.

The 2003 remaster of Hot Space is my next purchase. I hope The album has gain in power and clarity.

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 08:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used to jump on the Hot Space band wagon until I heard the entire album. Now I quite like it. Especially Dancer.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
[StArMaN] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 08:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dancer is an excellent one :) but could be better :))

sasss user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i like this album too. cool cat and action this day are my favorits.
by the way do you remember that britney spears song with the word action in it. don't really know how it's called. i think she should get a call from mister taylor's laywers... hihi

o dear...
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ofcourse it's great. Everything Queen did is wonderful and heavenly

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
icmrocha (The Man From Planet Marzipan) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 09:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, i really love Hot Space, and this is not a complaining about it, but: In my opinion, maybe if they changed the positions of the tracks, people that don't like the album would have got another view of it... what do u think?

"The years have been unkind...

but kind enough!"
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 09:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Hot Space quite a bit. Start to finish.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot Space has always been one of my favourite albums. It gets too much shit for nothing. Although it wasnt typical Queen at the time, the production is superb. A fine album.

Chom own mudder fukker.
rhapsody__87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 971 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Hot Space. There was this one week where it was all I'd listen to... that was a fun week!

...Erica*

"I don't judge others. I say if you feel good with what you're doing, let your freak flag fly."

--Sarah Jessica Parker
the oppositionist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 882 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is the only topic where i really put on a stepford cap. I love Hot space for the reasons youy guys have mentioned above. only i dislike life is real. bit crap to me!

melinadeacon@queenzone.com
BornToBeKings user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I personally think that Dancer is great! Freddie yelling "Hot space, let's go!" just before the riff picks back up is one of the highlights of the album.

The album itself is a big reason of exactly why I love Queen: it's a great example of their boundless variety and fearless creativity.

Got a fire down below/I'm just a regular dynamo
Brianmay1975 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brianmay1975
Bohemian: 608 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I first heard HS, I hated it. But then, it grew on me. I love the way Queen tried to get a new sound. Good experience...

syncursor wrote:

Dancer: Funky, I agree, but again, really strong vocals and some great screaming guitar. Not what you'd hear in any other artist's funk song for the time.

Funky indeed, but it sounds somehow like a rocker. Very interesting combination of disco and rock, though a bit unusual... but then again, Queen are known as the band who put together in a song both opera and rock, aren't they?

Put Out The Fire: No funk, just rock. Not as heavy, but has similar elements to "Hammer To Fall" and no one complain about that.

One of my favs. After all that funk, listening to a rocker gives you a fresh breeze...

Life Is Real: Another Freddie ballad. Sung well with strong emotions. Not worth complaining about.

Very Lennon-style, however. If it were better known by hte general public, newbies would have asked if Queen covered John Lennon's LIR (the way they ask about CLTCL) :)... I especially like the "Life is a bitch" line. It's funny.

Las Palabras De Amor: The best choice for the single but released after the damage was done. Good harmonies and all around pleasing sounds, in a nutshell.

My fav song written by Brian. It's sooo gentle and bright, I dunno, it just gives me such a beautiful feeling. Splendid guitar harmonies on this track. You're right, the best choice for the single...

I LOVE QUEEN!

"My guitar was my weapon and my shield to hide behind" (Brian May)

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think Hot Space is bad at all. Even Cool Cat, which I used to skip for the longest time, has grown on me. Back Chat is great, too, with an amazing guitar solo. It's definitely not Queen's best album, but I think holds it's own.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Hot Space. In the top five Queen albums, I think.

Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It has some good songs on it, namely,
. Action This Day
. Put Out The Fire
. Life Is Real
. Las Palabras De Amor
. Under Pressure

But I think it has some bad ones too. More bad ones than any other Queen album. Still a good album though.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
siljeoen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1313 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot Space is a great album!!!

Queen Rules-Rock On!!!

...I`m Lord of all Darkness,I`m Queen of the night...
Matti user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1619 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's great too. I really like it. It's different. :)

Total Blam Blam
Brimon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 571 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only thing that I really disliked about the Hot Space album was the lack of proper photos. I was so disappointed when I took out the inner sleeve to find it had the same images as the outer sleeve, but hey life goes on.

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 04, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the album, but I think the cover is great. It really grabs your attention with the bright colors. Brimon's right, though; I always thought it was a bit strange that it was almost exactly the same on the inside cover.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.