Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Did anyone ever feel like 'Made In Heaven' was overshadowed by The Beatles?

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Aug 04, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Back in November 1995 both Queen's 'Made In Heaven' and 'The Beatles - Anthology' came out almost at the same time, and although there was huge anticipation for both from the fans, it still seems like the media focused almost entirely on The Beatles Anthology.

Both albums came out with their own specific documentaries, and unlike 'Champions Of The World', the Beatles Anthology documentary was broadcasted on almost every single country in the world. 'Champions Of The World' got a lot less attention.

Does anyone feel like Queen picked the wrong time to release 'Made In Heaven'?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 04, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow! I was thinking about this just YESTERDAY! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Mr Coolest Cat user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr Coolest Cat
Bohemian: 908 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 04, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was aware of the Beatles anthology at the same time, but i was only interested in the Queen album, so thats all i was really concerned with, and Made in Heaven went on to become one of Queen's best sellers.

There must be more to life than this.
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 23 Aug 04, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read once that 'Made In Heaven' is Queen's best selling studio album.

Is this true?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 04, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is the best selling Queen studio album indeed. To be honest, I wasn't really surprised that the Beatles got more attention. They WERE a lot bigger than Queen after all.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 04, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

true

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Banquo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Banquo
Deity: 2636 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 04, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Anthology film is a thousand times better than Champions of the World. The Beatles are in a league of their own so it came as no surprise to me.

Guess who's back?
Somebody to loveeeee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 421 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 04, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If only Queen had been formed ten years earlier.

Then again... without The Beatles and Jimi and all, would Brian ever built his guitar, would Freddie become the outrageous (sp?) person that he was, would the four of them ever meet and would I be writing this crap today?

I forgot my password again.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 04, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Moreover if Queen had been formed 10 years before, John would be just 10

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 04, 19:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Beatles still probably would've raped them in record/single sales..unless..Bohemian Rhapsody was penned before...well..all The Beatles #1's. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! hats.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 04, 21:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a shame really, "Made In Heaven" totally blew away the cheap sounding "Free as a Bird" (and that other song, whatever it was called.)

The Beatles benefited from great promotion (and yes, the "Anthology" doc is light years better than CotW but....the Beatles doc had a LOT more more to offer with hours and hours of stuff. Queen's was what, 2 hours long?)

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 04, 21:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dream of the day when we get a 10-hour documentary on Queen's history.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 24 Aug 04, 03:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

How about- I dream of the day when we get an Anthology Box..

C'MON GUYS!!! Made In Heaven is just an album (regardless of the whole story surrounding it), whereas ANTHOLOGY is a huge box set, full of amazing out-takes, demos and all. If Queen released box set in 1995 and were overshadowed by Beatles- than would be the case. But the way it happened- ANTHOLOGY release was more significant than a Queen album (I'm talking general audience, not Queen fans...) You're comparing release of a huge Box Set to the release of an album... Wait till Queen release their ANTHOLOGY and hope it's going to be half as good as The Beatles one... I don't mind it being twice better, actually... Maybe in 2050...

Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 24 Aug 04, 04:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Michael Allred wrote:

It's a shame really, "Made In Heaven" totally blew away the cheap sounding "Free as a Bird" (and that other song, whatever it was called.)

"Free as a Bird" wasn't that great, but "that other song," "Real Love" was better than pretty much everything on Made In Heaven.

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 24 Aug 04, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I sincerely hope my kids enjoy the Queen box set. Maybe they can visit dads grave once in a while to tell me how awesome it is.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 24 Aug 04, 07:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lord Fenderro (a.k.a. Fenderek) wrote:

Lester Burnham wrote:

How about- I dream of the day when we get an Anthology Box..

C'MON GUYS!!! Made In Heaven is just an album (regardless of the whole story surrounding it), whereas ANTHOLOGY is a huge box set, full of amazing out-takes, demos and all. If Queen released box set in 1995 and were overshadowed by Beatles- than would be the case. But the way it happened- ANTHOLOGY release was more significant than a Queen album (I'm talking general audience, not Queen fans...) You're comparing release of a huge Box Set to the release of an album... Wait till Queen release their ANTHOLOGY and hope it's going to be half as good as The Beatles one... I don't mind it being twice better, actually... Maybe in 2050...

C'MON! Made In Heaven is QUEEN!!!

I'd rather take one new cd of Queen remixes than 100 cd's of ultra rare Beatles stuff.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 24 Aug 04, 08:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whisperer wrote:

C'MON! Made In Heaven is QUEEN!!!

I'd rather take one new cd of Queen remixes than 100 cd's of ultra rare Beatles stuff.
Yeah- but I wasn't talking about stepfords- I was talking about general audience... :)

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 24 Aug 04, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure most people here who also like The Beatles, saw the release of Anthology about as important or almost as important as the release of 'Made In Heaven'.

After The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, I thought that Queen were just done and over, and I was just overwhelmed to find out that Queen was going to release a new album with new songs recorded before Freddie's death. Later I found that not all of them were completely recorded after the Innuendo sessions, but nevertheless I was very happy to hear something new and fresh from Queen. They did an excellent job putting all those pieces together, and re-working on all those songs to make them sound way much better than the original versions.

Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 24 Aug 04, 08:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Made In Heaven got to number one. Anthology One didn't (in the U.k). Maybe MIH kept it off the top spot.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Virtuoso user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 806 posts

Posted: 24 Aug 04, 09:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In 95',They had the 5th best selling album in the UK.

When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power,The World Will Know Peace