Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Were Queen better when they proudly boasted No Synths??

forum rss feed
Author

muttley15 user not visiting Queenzone.com
muttley15
Bohemian: 149 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally I love all Queen music (except you don't fool me) but there may be a case that there musicianship was far greater when everything was acheived using REAL instruments.

listen to the breeze, whisper to me please, don't send me to the path of nevermore.......
Albyboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 375 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMHO yes, absolutely true... Nothing is like listening to a complete orchestratiion made up of just guitars, bass, piano and drums without all those tricky synths... Anyway, it is to be said that a band, for keeping on being successful, has to be constantly up-to-date and so here the "modern" instruments turn out to be absolutely necessary...

Albyboy

And the light, turn then off my friend... And the ghosts... Well just let them in... Cause in the dark it's easier to see...
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the No Synths era better, mostly because my favorite albums are from then, but also because the music just seems more real. But they just needed to keep up with the times, and synths were popular.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

brianburnsdavid user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 30 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 14:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the albums of the period before the synths the most, but de albums of the 70's are quite different from the 80's albums, I like both, but I like the albums without synths more (exept The Miracle and Innuendo)

I think the millionaire waltz is the most Queen gay song.
Into La Ment user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 160 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 19:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't like '80s Queen much, so I obviously prefer their non-synth work.

Not that I have any real 'issues' with the usage of synths in general, I just don't feel they augmented Queen's music in any real way.

Previously known as 'Poodle Permed'.
Albyboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 375 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 20:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Into La Ment wrote:

I don't like '80s Queen much, so I obviously prefer their non-synth work.

Not that I have any real 'issues' with the usage of synths in general, I just don't feel they augmented Queen's music in any real way.

...Something tells me you are a Cure fan too, aren't you?
Absolutely love Bob (as an artist, it's clear :)), but I can hardly find a British band I don't like...

Albyboy

And the light, turn then off my friend... And the ghosts... Well just let them in... Cause in the dark it's easier to see...
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think they got a bit lazy after The Game, just listen to the stories about The Millionaire Waltz, and Bohemian Rhapsody, the stories where the guys spend weeks and weeks in the studio's for just overdubbing vocal and guitar parts.

There are so many songs in the later era which would've sounded great without those awful synths. I Want it All for example, and even Innuendo would've been great without those damn keyboards.

So sad it ends....

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 20:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

btw, somehow I do love the synth. But not when it's used to make a popsong like Invicible Man. Or when it's used in hard rock songs, when they easily could've done without (or being replaced by guitar/vocal harmonies) Like I want it all, or Hammer to Fall.

In Hammer to Fall I have no idea why they put synths in it. It doesn't add anything at all.

I like synths when it adds something nice to the song, or sets a mood. like in Mother Love, or even The Show Must Go On

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
SergeantPepperDG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1725 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 20:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In general, I enjoy 60s and 70s music the most. So in my opinion, Queen definetely was at their peak in the 70s. Their 80s material was still (mostly) great. In fact, I didn't like ANY 80s music before I discovered Queen.

Kay Adams Corleone- The ultimate desperate housewife
Into La Ment user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 160 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 20:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

albyboy wrote:

...Something tells me you are a Cure fan too, aren't you?
Absolutely love Bob (as an artist, it's clear :)), but I can hardly find a British band I don't like...

Hahaha... what impressive powers of deduction :oD Indeed, I'm just a bit of a Cure nerd, to say the least.

And, if I were ever to bother with a band list, the majority of the names on the list would be British.

Previously known as 'Poodle Permed'.
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6374 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 21:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No synths of course ... but not just because of no synths. From the Game onward Queen decided to have coherent straightforward singles oriented albums. I believe Freddie had a quote concerning this. Of course, Queen were still very good in the Synth era, but several things were missing:

The three layer vocal harmonies virtually disappeared in the Synth era.

Freddie's piano generally appeared less, and was less prevalent.

Brian's "Patented" layered guitar sound appeared less frequently.

Brian's acoustic songs appeared less frequently.

The use of different unusual string instruments (harp, ukulele, various Japanese instruments, electric piano, kazoo, banjo etc) disappeared in the Synth era.

Freddie no longer wrote unusual music with drastic tempo, mood and intensity changes (like MotBQ, BoRhap, tMW and BiRace).

Queen after the No Synth era, generally took fewer risks and were more of a singles oriented band.

Finally, I need to plug my old survey of 30 zoners - which strongly suggests in one of the graphs that the No Synth era was clearly better.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 21:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken wrote:

I Want it All for example, and even Innuendo would've been great without those damn keyboards.

Damn... Probably two of the best there, Fried. IMO I think Queen were one of the few bands that made good use of keyboards. Of course, a track like say, Coming Soon, is a different matter.

Peace,
Adam.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 21:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very good points, B!

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 21:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a question. In Get Down, Make Love what is the sound at the end? The sound which reminds me of Space Invaders for some reason.

Anyway I would dare say so. Most of their successful albums came from the 70's (that's not to say they didn't have any outstanding performances in the 80's) but I guess it's a matter of choice and taste.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
joeyjojo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 396 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes.

twowaymirrormountain user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 22:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

While the first four records are my favorites, I really like the Flash Gordon soundtrack. There are lots of synths on that.

I think what I like about the earlier albums is the attention to the order of the songs as well as the non-cyclical nature of Freddie's songs. IT seems to me that later albums teneded toward a more normal, verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chorus style of songwriting.

I personally have nothing against synthesizers. I especially like them when they have their own identity, as opposed to sounding exactly like some other instrument.

DK
syncursor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 179 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 22:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with twowaymirrormountainman. Brian would never have picked up the guitar again if he tried to make that soundtrack with multi-layered guitars. I don't think Queen abused synths, but I'm glad they used them or they would have definately continued in the same vein and just become another rock dinosaur. That's boring. I hate bands that don't change. Look at how much AC/DC sucks, for example. They've been re-recording the same song for 30 years.

"I'm a greedy bitch!"
joeyjojo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 396 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 22:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Look at how much AC/DC sucks, for example. They've been re-recording the same song for 30 years."

They're forumlaic, but it's a good forumla, and there's enough talent in that band to keep it fresh.

Not that Queen couldn't have done the same...however, Queen just wasn't forumalic. They liked diversity in their music and it was probably only natural that they veered off in the early 80's. By the late 80's I think they came to terms with their original 'roots' as a band.

So, while I don't necessarily care for a lot of what they put out in the 80's, it certainly wasn't bad music, nor do I knock them for giving it a shot.

Still, very little compares to their early stuff.

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 23:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Makes no difference to me. There's good and not as good in most of the albums. Without syths, my beloved "I Want to Break Free" certainly wouldn't be the same. A real guitar solo wouldn't hurt, but the beautiful extended/single intro would be lost.

And a song like 'Machines' really requires synths to get its point across.. Going back a bit, the beautiful, swirling keyboards of 'Las Palabras De Amor' are nice to have, and many later tracks are just perfect as they are.

I pretty much agree that their use on 'The Game' wasn't very brilliant and sometimes quite annoying. But that was the first and they had to jump in somewhere and learn what worked best. I think they did eventually :)

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 04, 23:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

True. Machines couldn't have been if there were still 'No synths'

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!