Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > New Fan Song Added: Love of My Life by Rafael Cortes + MJK

forum rss feed
Author

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Sep 04, 02:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's decent. The vocals could be a little bit gentler, but good job hitting the higher notes.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 04, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You'd hope that people would actually check that they've sung the whole song in the same key before submitting their recording to be heard by possibly hundreds of people.

I'd like to be able to commend the effort really, but it's pretty much inexcusable to have the singer suddenly lose the key so drastically in the middle of the song and not regain it in the slightest.

Disappointing, shall we say.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 04, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It started off very good, but then it`s way off key, and that`s something you can`t excuse by saying "we don`t have millions of dollars worth in equipment"

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 04, 10:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another great MJK release! We can only hope that, like the last MJK release, it's removed by the author.

Yikes... I mean, why?? Ok, safe to say we know the performance was bad. The noise over the guitar and vocal was also bad. And the -singing in my toilet- thing was very annoying!

And just one last thing. At the end of your track, please don't say "thank you." :)
Did anyone else cringe at that bit?

Just one last thing. A good point, no less. The last bit of guitar around the "thankyou" bit was actually decent.

Peace,
Adam.

Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 04, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only thing I can think of was maybe this was live or something? Because otherwise...not so good. Not good even if it were live, but at least it would explain why they couldn't do another take.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 04, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Terrific post Adam!

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 04, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But as Sebastian said, It started off pretty good

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 04, 00:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Another great MJK release! We can only hope that, like the last MJK release, it's removed by the author.

From another thread:

Adam Baboolal wrote:

The reason I posted what I did was because if you don't like musicals/theater, what's the point of commenting in this thread about a musical? It kinda defeats the point because we already have a good idea of what you'll say.

I am not trying to pick on you, Adam, but I ask with all seriousness: Can the same theory that you posted in the Musical thread not be applied here? You do not like MJK's songs, so is there much point in posting?

DJ's the man we love the most
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 03 Sep 04, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry Zeni, no, it can't. You see, musicals/theater are a genre, but an individual's creative talent in these covers, are their own unique output. And therefore, you never know what you're gonna get with the covers. Like I said, it's not all bad, e.g. the beginning and the end parts.

Yes, just a little picky Zeni. But I don't care. :D

Peace,
Adam.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 04, 08:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Terrible, sorry... With Adam on that one...

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 04, 18:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also think it's very bad. Cortes and MJK working together? That's like asking for double the trouble!

I'm sorry, but the quality of the song (performance and sound-wise) is absolute shit.

I agree with whoever said that people should check that they've sang in the right key for the WHOLE song.

And the guitar hardly sounds even like the way Brian plays it live. It seems the person was making it up as he went.

And this sounds like it was recorded with Sound Recorder at the lowest setting.

Over all, I don't think this merits even 1 out of 5 for a rating.

And "thank you" at the end of a song?! I'm sorry, but in my opinion that's just gay

Btw. hopefully, like I said a few months ago, I SHOULD be recording "No-One But You" / "Solo Por Ti" (both versions) with my friend Sebastian (not OUR Sebasatian, mind you), sometime in October. I still need someone to play piano and someone to sing Roger's part on the English version.

Also, does anyone know where I can download and print out piano chords for NOBY? I would really appreciate some help with this, thanks!

Ogre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 282 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 04, 19:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shades of Freddies millions and bananaman on this one I think.
I do like to hear other people play the lads music (when it's played something like), but this one is a thumbs down for me.

What the hell we fighting for?
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 03 Sep 04, 22:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inu, if you're seriously going to record NOBY and it's seriously going to be good - I'll gladly do the Roger part.

Peace,
Adam.

SomebodyWhoLoves user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 842 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 06:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I laughed so hard listening to it. And reading the comments here is also very funny. I feel sorry for Rafael but the whole thing is very comical.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn, is this singing? It's crap. I laughed at first, but its actually pure shite.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Word of the wise to anyone attempting to do any cover - YOU NEED TO BE TALENTED! It's not called The Stage of Champions for the f*ck of it!

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 13:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

While I never really paid attention to most of the fan covers, the reaction this one got piqued my interest. So I checked it out, and while it's not the greatest performance in the world, it's also not the worst.

I reckon most of the people here who have such harsh words against it have some of their own stellar performances to share, hm?

BornToBeKings user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So that's what it would sound like if the unholy offspring of Billie Joe Armstrong and Ricky Martin recorded a version of LOML. However, it still doesn't top the entertainment value of the Special Olympics All-Stars on MJK's rendition of WWRY.

Got a fire down below/I'm just a regular dynamo
NoOneButMe user not visiting Queenzone.com
NoOneButMe
Bohemian: 245 posts

Posted: 05 Sep 04, 22:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, guys, it is so good to know your "expert" comments about this version, but I think this goes ahead all of you, talented instrument players and singers.

This was a collaboration between two fans that love Queen music and would like to do something to show their loyalty for the group; I know, this is not the best performance ever, but I really know that was done with the heart of a real Queen fan.

Yes, it started so good with a recording of an instrumental version of LOML and then recording the lyrics over the guitar. Yes, it is a proyect between two Queen fans from different countries that joined their love for the group to show the rest of you that there are things that can be done when you want to do something with love. Yes, we are not professional guitarist player or singer, but, what I surely know is that we are PROFESSIONAL QUEEN FANS.

So this is a result from two guys that just wanted to hear their limited but sincerely and true talents without the use of any software, hardware and millions of dollars in equipment as most of the songs submitted in the stage are recorded, I think. We don´t want to get the Ivor Novello or Grammy Award fot the best song in the Stage of Champions. In fact, there are no limitations on the quality of the songs that must be uploaded here or for selecting the songs that would be in the final track list of an official Queenzone CD. So I think that if your critics go over the effort of some other fans to upload a song here, then you are disturbing the goal of joining a great group of Queen fans from all over the world, with different views of the music we´ve been hearing for so many years.

I like almost all the versions that are uploaded here, our rendition does not have less merits than yours, but with all that talent you breath away I encourage you to record a new track, with a multi country support and surprise us, the less "talented" fans with a professional recording, if you can. We have done the first step.

By the way, this song was recorded before The Stage of Champions was createad, so we did not want to be the best song, we just recorded it for fun and FRIENDSHIP, and now we want to share it with the rest of the Queen fans that would appreciate this effort. Finally, if you are starting a competition of the best song over here, then you must show the rules and then start talking and criticising our work, not before.

Thanks a lot to Richard for this space and uploading our work. Thanks to MJK for asking me to record his voice over my guitar. Thanks to all the Queen fans that would acept this work as
PROFESSIONAL QUEEN FANS.

Sincerely but sadly....

RAFAEL CORTES

Only the good die young !!!
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 04:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I personally don`t believe in talent. Could the singer do the whole thing good if he tried? absolutely. Then why didn`t he? I mean, I don`t mean you have to step up the Extreme or the Queen or the Scorpions version. But, to have it all sung in the correct key would be totally acceptable. The way it is, it`s not

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.