Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > me against the darkness

forum rss feed
Author

akan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

why do the people compare the darkness to Queen?
don't take offence but i think that who thinks the darkness are the new Queen didn't understand the musical logic that Queen used.According to me the darkess are only a band of people that think to know how to exploit on the Queen POP-fans despite their music doesn't seem ispired at all by Queen either,I really don't understand why you prefer darkness to play with Queen instead of Robert Plant, or Foo Fighters, so tell me why you want to see a shit singer like the one of the darkness singing bohemian rhapsody

Wayne Gretzky user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 09:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Justin Hawkins is NOT a shit singer. Why I want to see him instead of Robert Plant? I'm not saying that Plant can't sing, but he's not really a great singer.

Don't run into the long grass!

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ROBERT PLANT ISN'T A GREAT SINGER???????????are you joking?????did you ever listened to him singing?did you ever listened to some somgs from by a band called LED ZEPPELIN?he was freddie mercury's favourite singer, maybe his performance of Innuendo at the freddie's tribute may be not too beautiful, but how can you say that robert plant isn'ta great singer?he and freddie are the best singers in rock music history.
listen to 'Since I've been loving you', 'Heartbreaker', 'Dazed and confued','Whole lotta love' and you'll see a little example of robert plant vocal technic, he could express the emotions of Queen music like a few existing rock singers for sure

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I have heard those songs, and, yes they are quite nice. But he's not much of a singer live.

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

your an ass!
stop shitting on The Darkness and get a life dude!

i hate wankers *sigh*

Killed by drones.

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Just to remind you, Freddie couldn't do 'Immigrant Song' live. He didn't manage the screams and some of the vocals."

When did we start to talk about Freddie? Wasn't this about the Darkness?

"If you only heard him at the FM Tribute Concert (which you clearly have), don't make such stupid comments which make people estimate your IQ even lower than it actually is."

I have heard more of him live than just at the Tribute concert. So now you start insulting me just because I don't like Robert Plant? Did I insult you?

I heard "Stairway To Heaven" live a few days ago (don't know if it was "How The West Was Won") and on that song he couldn't reach the high notes. I'm shure Hawkins would have managed to do it.

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL

Eirik Drange user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

to start of with; I like the Darkness. these days, they are probably the best new rock band (or band even) around
I think they have produced some good songs - and judgning from a live gig I saw on tv - they know how to play as well

But to start comparing Justin Hawkins to Robert Plant???
Get a grip, man!! or get a q-tip.....

Hawkins is nowhere NEAR Plant. to suggest Hawkins can match Plant, or sing better is just stupid

Plant is probably THE best rock vocalist in history (only one FM comes close IMO) - and that's coming from someone who's not THAT big a fan of Zeppelin

Sure Hawkins can hit some high notes. But I bet everything I own that Plant when he was as old as hawkins is now could do alle the same things with without problems.
and what's more impressive; the notes plant can hit today, at 55, is astonishing.
I saw him live last year - and it was shivers down the spine for 2 hours straight. you have no idea how his voice filled the room. I can only imagine what it was like 20 and 30 yrs ago...

and another thing; screaming some high notes seem to be the only thing Hawkins is good at. apart from that - his voice is medicore!

- Plant on the other hand has big range - and the sheer power and craft in his voice speaks for itself.
there is little or none power in what hawkins does

and btw; the darkness gig I saw live - hawkins didn't hit the highest notes on all the songs at all!! and he's what? 30?

by suggesting that hawkins is a better singer than plant, you insult everybody with a set of ears in order. or ONE ear in order.

Eirik Drange user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and you think Hawkins would have done a better job on the high notes in Stairway.....
jesus christ....

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Robert Plant USED to be a very good singer back in the days of Led Zep. His voice is acceptable today, but not as good as it used to be.

And Taylor Hawkins is nothing but a Freddie Mercury wannabe.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
the-rock 4283 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the darkness:

i saw them live on the frequency festival, and found them kinda boring.

too formulaic and too "ironic" or whatever. an imho too guitar oriented. --> overrated.

to compare them with some poeple's favourite enemy, namely robbie williams, i have to say that his concert was much more entertaining and enjoyable , and in a way closer to the experience of a queen show than a "the darkness" concert.

so this opinion is mine, and nobody has to follow it. ok. (btw im not somethin like a newbie - despite a low number of posts - but i prefer to read instead of writing evey though i have)

joined queenzone.com in december 2001.

the reader-type, so to say...
Giacco 73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm going to see Darkness tomorrow evening at "Indipendent Day Festival" in Bologna,Italy,near my home town,so I can judge by myself.I admit I'm very curious to see them play live,as a whole Band and not only for the vocal abilities of Justin Hawkins.I think they're the sum of their influences right now,of Queen,AC/DC,Thin lizzy,Aerosmith.Like Queen at their beginning,which brought in their sound influences of Beatles and Led Zeppelin.(By the way,I love the fact that Queen didn't brought in their sound too much blues influences,which after a few listen i get bored with,contrary of tons of other great bands like the same Led Zeppelin).But with one big difference.Queen kickstart with their own musical personalities delivering from the beginning a brand new,caracteristic sound and not a mere carbon copy of their favourite Bands.That'why they are still surviving.Originality is the key of everlasting success.I like Robert Plant voice,is like a Primal Scream.In fact,I'm very into Hard Rock and Heavy Metal.But if you wanna go with high screams I prefere Ian Gillan of Deep Purple,which i place 3rd in my favourite poll sigers of all time and the icredible,incomparable and out of this world vocal range of Rob Halford of Judas Priest,which by the way is a Freddie and Queen fan.I saw him in Judas Priest reunion tour,he is 53 years old and live is still amazing.I'll tell you how are Darkness live after tomorrow.

Freddie Mercury.

A wonderful human being and simply the greatest singer,performer and composer of our times.
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Robert Plant can't really do any wrong according to me because of Zeppelin, no matter what song he songs. And so far The Darkness havn't offended me yet. Their songs are really good. The comparisons come from what he wears on stage and because they are rather outrageous...

And neither Plant nor Hawkins are shit singers.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
LiarLiar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 35 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ROBERT PLANT IS ONE OF THE BETS VOICES OF ROCK AND ROLL EVER....

The singer of The Darkness is just a fledgling beginner.

Let The Darkness do their own music if any, Queen is Queen and nothing else but that. Period.

BornToBeKings user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't believe the hype. I am a fan of The Darkness, but the only thing they have in common with Queen are the catsuits worn by Justin Hawkins.

Got a fire down below/I'm just a regular dynamo

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 15:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Eirik Drange wrote:

to start of with; I like the Darkness. these days, they are probably the best new rock band (or band even) around

i think that the BEST band of our days are the mars volta which really created a new music way, darkness should envy them, and for some reason i kinda think that mars volta are the 'new' queen

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BornToBeKings wrote:

Don't believe the hype. I am a fan of The Darkness, but the only thing they have in common with Queen are the catsuits worn by Justin Hawkins.

i admire your post, finally someone that says that the darkness have nothing to do with queen

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know why everybody's so offended by The Darkness. Just because they were influenced by Queen doesn't mean they're ripping them off. They drew their influence from a lot of older rock bands; Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, Aerosmith, and yes, Queen. I've always thought it was great that they were fans of my favorite band; I think it shows that they have good music taste.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 15:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

no one is offended by the darkness, i don't understand why a lot of people compare them to queen which have nothing to do with the darkness and voted them to team up with queen in the weekly poll

Libor2 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Libor2
Bohemian: 661 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 04, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Robert Plant is exceptionally good singer, one of the best voice in rock history. And it’s not only in vocal range (btw his vocal range today is really narrower comparing to Led Zeppelin era - but it’s the matter of age amongst other aspects), but he has fantastic music feeling and vocal dynamic when he sings.

And then: I’d say I like Darkness. I enjoy their music - it’s fresh, guitar oriented, fine. I don’t wanna say it’s something new, but who could find anything new in music today. And in Darkness music you can find they are influenced with AC/DC, The Cure, etc. etc. and - with Queen (some guitar solos on ’Permission to Land’ are almost obvious).

I agree Hawkins vocal is a little bit strange - you can like it or hate it - I think there’s nothing between. But after all I think Darkness music is closer to Queen (speaking about live performance) than LedZepp. Sorry but I can’t imagine Robert Plant singing Queen - it’s simply not his music style. And Robert performance on FM Tribute was not good (saying it diplomatically) and he wasn’t happy with it either I think.

But now it's time to be gone - forever...