Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > John's bass

forum rss feed
Author

Hugo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

although there are some sites about Johns bass guitars and equipment, I'm wondering what kind of 5 string bass he used on songs like Headlong and I'm going slightly mad...can anyone supply information?

thanks

Hugo

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 13:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm, I don't think John used 5-string basses. I could be wrong though


"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 19:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Unfortunately there are no photos or footage of those sessions (or there is material, but not enough) to know. I would imagine he`d use a Fender V, but it could easily be something else


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 19:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I caught you a delicious bass.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
SergeantPepperDG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1725 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's so annoying that those are spelled the same way. I never know when people are talking about fish or musical instruments.


Kay Adams Corleone- The ultimate desperate housewife
Matti user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1619 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw one of John's basses (ah! sp?) at the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame last month.


Total Blam Blam
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 19:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SergeantPepperDG wrote:

It's so annoying that those are spelled the same way. I never know when people are talking about fish or musical instruments.


Well, when they are 'talking' it should seem pretty obvious. :-P


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
MayFan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 202 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've often wondered the same thing. Maybe he just D-tuned his four-string. I'm thinking that's what he did on Fat Bottomed Girls.


..got my mind on my money and my money on my mind....
SergeantPepperDG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1725 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yeah... I'm not thinking straight right now. I'm having chocolate withdrawl at the moment.


Kay Adams Corleone- The ultimate desperate housewife
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Man, it seems like everybody is addicted to chocolate these days. It's like [insert banal addictive drug here].


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For some reason, I didn't know 'bass' was said like 'base', at least when you're talking about the instrument, until someone finally corrected me.


Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

SergeantPepperDG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1725 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:

Man, it seems like everybody is addicted to chocolate these days. It's like [insert banal addictive drug here].


Well, I was just thinking about chocolate because of the chocolate topic in the personal section.


Kay Adams Corleone- The ultimate desperate housewife
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 19:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SergeantPepperDG wrote:

Music Man wrote:

Man, it seems like everybody is addicted to chocolate these days. It's like [insert banal addictive drug here].


Well, I was just thinking about chocolate because of the chocolate topic in the personal section.


I think I skipped that thread because the intro was too long. I'll read it now.

I think of chocolate like I think of Pringles. They are really great, but there's no initiative to eat them, and thus no real cravings for them. But once you start, it's great.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 19:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:

SergeantPepperDG wrote:

Music Man wrote:

Man, it seems like everybody is addicted to chocolate these days. It's like [insert banal addictive drug here].


Well, I was just thinking about chocolate because of the chocolate topic in the personal section.


I think I skipped that thread because the intro was too long. I'll read it now.

I think of chocolate like I think of Pringles. They are really great, but there's no initiative to eat them, and thus no real cravings for them. But once you start, it's great.


No no no...it's, "once you pop, you just can't stop."

Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 19:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Music Man wrote:

SergeantPepperDG wrote:

Music Man wrote:

Man, it seems like everybody is addicted to chocolate these days. It's like [insert banal addictive drug here].


Well, I was just thinking about chocolate because of the chocolate topic in the personal section.


I think I skipped that thread because the intro was too long. I'll read it now.

I think of chocolate like I think of Pringles. They are really great, but there's no initiative to eat them, and thus no real cravings for them. But once you start, it's great.


No no no...it's, "once you pop, you just can't stop."


I was thinking about that for a while and just decided not to go with the Pringles motto. It was a decision that took a lot of consideration, and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
MayFan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 202 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ya gotta love how a thread about 5-string bass can turn into chocolate and chips! lol


..got my mind on my money and my money on my mind....
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:I was thinking about that for a while and just decided not to go with the Pringles motto. It was a decision that took a lot of consideration, and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.



You magnificent bastard.

Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 20:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Music Man wrote:I was thinking about that for a while and just decided not to go with the Pringles motto. It was a decision that took a lot of consideration, and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.



You magnificent bastard.


That's me! ;-)


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
SergeantPepperDG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1725 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 20:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I went through a Pringles phase, now I think they aren't so great. For some weird reason, I'm not a big fan of potato chips anymore (even the real ones). I love CHEETOS!


Kay Adams Corleone- The ultimate desperate housewife
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 04, 20:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Theres nothing better than Cheese doritos


Chom own mudder fukker.