Bohemian: 194 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Sep 04, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Starfleet

MayFan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 202 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 04, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Satriani was not in Starfleet. That was Eddie Van Halen....

..got my mind on my money and my money on my mind....
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 04, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

they played live together a couple of times.

And Brian got an Ibanez from Joe and used it on nothin but blue

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 04, 23:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken wrote:

Always gotta know everything, don't ya? :)

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 03:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

FriedChicken wrote:

Always gotta know everything, don't ya? :)

I knew that. Its in the BTTL sleeve notes!

Chom own mudder fukker.
akan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 03:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think that satriani style is a little ispired by brian may but oviously it is a new style:they played togheter a couple of times, in seville in '92 and in london in '98 on a g3 concert:for sure one of my dreams is attending the g3 concert with satriani, vai and brian may.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 07:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There`s no way Brian would be in a G3 with Joe and Steve. It`d be like a G3 of singers Pavarotti, Domingo and Kurt Cobain :)

PS: I don`t mean Kurt sang bad, but he`s light years inferior to the others

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the seville concert was great, i think that they sound good togheter despite brian is not a guitar hero like satriani and vai, but for sure brian has more groove live than satriani and vai

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 07:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian did play on those G3 concerts a couple of times

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed, and besides I've seen G3 gigs with guests that were much much much more further adrift. Besides I do think Brian would fit the 3 if he just wrote some more instrumental guitarstuff. (Which he should do anyway ;-)

Little_Queenie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 558 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd really like to see them play togehter again. Saw that gig at Seville, and they sounded great!! Brian could really fit in, although I know it will never happen.. Too bad, they're my three faveourite guitarists.

Give me a good guitar, and you can say that my hair's a disgrace, oh, just find me an open car - I'll make the speed of light out of this place...

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hendrix jimmy page and brian may the perfect g3!

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Satriani is boring btw

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To me, Brian is one of the greatest guitar players out there. Being a great guitar player doesn't mean burning up and down the fretboard with every arpeggio possible. Too many guitarist have come and gone doing that. What Brian has is a real knack for play for the song. Listen to "Who Wants To Live Forever". All that nice, soft touch stuff he does under that song is all apart of creating the mood of the song. All the guitar "layering" that is his signature sound is done for the purpose of the song. And when he does have a "solo", he plays from his heart. That is what makes Brian a legend.

Libor2 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Libor2
Bohemian: 661 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 18:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with MayFan. Guitar skills are not only speed of playing. Brian certainly couldn’t fight from this point of view with Vai or Satriani or many others. But another important things are sound and style of playing (ie. buiding solos, melodies etc.). And Brian is perfectly comparable with anyone on these fields.

Another good example of this could be Dave Gilmour. His sound and some solos are amazing and very well known. But speed of playing guitar was never his strong side. And why should be. He is in the first league of guitar players anyway. Same for BM.

But now it's time to be gone - forever...
Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Satriani and Vai themselves would certainly rate Brian to be in their league. Aren't they the most qualified to judge?

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 19:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I`d like to hear or read when or where did they say that. If so, they`re just being nice imo.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Virtuoso user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 806 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian did say he had a lot of admiration for virtusos.And no,Satch's not boring...at all.

When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power,The World Will Know Peace

Posted: 15 Sep 04, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

I`d like to hear or read when or where did they say that. If so, they`re just being nice imo.

Dude, they say it ever time they pick up the guitar. If you can't hear the influence May had on their playing, you are not listening. Even John Petrucci from Dream Theater, who is most definitely in Vai and Satch's league, comments on Brian's influence on his playing.

Polar Bear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1075 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 04, 00:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I find it rather strange that one would doubt the prowess of Mr May in comparison to Vai, Satriani et al.

I have read on numerous occasions that Satriani considers Brian to be a big influence, what's more is that Brian is able to play with great technicality when required, 'invisible man' for example, considering that is Tremolo picking I'd have to say that it's fucking impressive.

Once you factor feeling and touch into the equation, Brian is more than jsut in the legue of those guys.

Saying that Satriani was 'just being nice' shows a remarkable amount of naivety on your part Sebastian. One would assume witht he amount you think you know you'd have picked up on Brian's immense skill, he'd more than hold his own in a G3 style environment, however whether or not he'd want to is another matter entirely.

There is an old saying that the making of a guitar legend isn't just in the notes play but in the notes that you don't play. I think you'll find Brian fits into this category nicely.

can i go to lunch now?