Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Why not use MP3 instead of Flac ?

forum rss feed
Author

Biggest Band On The Planet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 325 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just what is the point in using Flac for bootlegs ? the sound Quality is already crap anyway I think we would be better using MP3 for bootlegs.

"The Beatles were the first but Queen were the best"
Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, but this subject is discussed a million times here.
With flac you don't lose quality and with mp3 you do lose quality.

You could expect some rude answers with this question.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

not wanting to stir up a hornets nest
but...........if you encode mp3 @320 you have near cd quality...i've listened to 320 mp3s and flacs and can't tell the difference - but have to admit that out of advice - have kept the boots in flac format

go deo na hÉireann
Biggest Band On The Planet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 325 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But my point is the Quality of these bootlegs is crap anyway so why use flac ?

"The Beatles were the first but Queen were the best"
BrianHMay user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you can convert your flac files to shitty mp3

"We give him the biggest send off in history".
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I understand your point, but even if you don't always hear a difference, it's there. And I think it's actually more important with stuff that's lower quality to begin with... you want to preserve what's there as much as possible.

Let's say someone took a show from mp3 and put it on CD. 5 years from now they're the only one who has this show on CD. So they extract it and share it as mp3 once again. The quality would suffer greatly from being so heavily compressed.. twice.

Most of these shows will never see an official release, so it seems obvious to me to try and keep them at the best possible quality for others to enjoy.

Of course not everyone can download such big files, but that's just one of those things in life.. should everyone get lesser quality stuff just because a percentage can't download high quality? I don't think so.

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 13:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Somebody said in another recent thread that zipping ".wav" files would make them the same size as ".flac" files. Is that true? If that is the case, why use ".flac" anyway?

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, there's no need to call anyone a fool for simply asking a question about something he heard.

I tried this with 'You Don't Fool Me' from 'The Eye' since it's the biggest wav file:

Original wav - 59.8 MB
Zipped (maximum) - 55.8
Flac level 8 - 42.5
Zipped flac - 42.5 (no change!)

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 04, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Evangp, I won't treat with direspect as you did to me. You are officially declared not-existant from now on. You won't hear from me again. So long, invisible man.

Keep Passing the Open Windows
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 04, 23:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed. Show some respect, Evangp.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 04, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think most people lost there respect. As i watch to al the answers that people give to each other.
This is a QUEEN site and we are here because we like the same thing....
Why being so cruel to each other when someone asks a question.

j0ck3 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 04, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sharing MP3 and then convert it to flac by yourself would be a good idea. But thats just my opinion and I actually downloaded Osaka 82 from here and I found a different version in MP3 with a lot better sound quality.

I prefer MP3 cause it goes about 4 mp3 concerts (with a bout 128k quality and 22+ songs) on 1 flac concert. And flac makes your shares look a lot bigger than they actaully are at the hub

Libor2 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Libor2
Bohemian: 661 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 04, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EVANGP, I don’t think it’s really necessary to be so rude immediately. It isn’t crime to ask. I understand that such question would have been here many times before. But not everybody is computer and sound expert.

Sorry to say so, but you sounds very harsh sometimes, without any apparent reason.

But now it's time to be gone - forever...
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 04, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you fail to take a few things into account here

1. he wasn't trying to trick people - he said the mp3 version he downloaded was better quality than the flac he got from here - it doesn't matter what YOUR ranking is Mr deity, show some respect... it is possible that an m3 version could sound better - if the original source files were of differing quality
2. a shit original recording - will always become a shit flac
3. mp3 @320 is according to various forums - the level to record music at to prevent loss
4. he asked a question - that was all....
5. do you talk to your everyone like that?

go deo na hÉireann
Ogre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 282 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 04, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To take an mp3, then convert it to flac, and upload it for people to download as flac would be a crime in my opinion.
This is what some people obviously do.
Yes, mp3's have there place in the audio world, but to get the best possible sound it should be wav or flac and stay that way..

What the hell we fighting for?
Libor2 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Libor2
Bohemian: 661 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 04, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color ="orange">The Ogre wrote:

To take an mp3, then convert it to flac, and upload it for people to download as flac would be a crime in my opinion.
This is what some people obviously do.
Yes, mp3's have there place in the audio world, but to get the best possible sound it should be wav or flac and stay that way..

Yes, Ogre, you’re right. I didn’t say, that it’s better to use mp3 than FLAC. No way! We’re on the same boat on this. But it’s not necessary to be so upset with it (like Evan). It’s always better in such situations to clear things. The best thing to stop such threads is using some FAQ, as YourValentine started here:
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/faq_category_view.aspx?Q=1&CATEGORY_NAME=Bittorrent

After some amount of time this could be the best point where to start or where to link questions. It’d be better to help Barbara with this.

But now it's time to be gone - forever...
T84K user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 23 Sep 04, 22:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm a newbie and so understand me for my lack of knowledge.. I recently downloaded some Queen albums and they were in FLAC format. I had never seen the FLAC format before and so didn't konw what to do with them and ended up deleting them... can anyone tell me what a FLAC is and how i can play it? Thanks!

Freddie Mercury and Queen... A match made in Heaven!

Posted: 23 Sep 04, 23:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome to the forum, T84K :)

Winamp will play flac files http://www.winamp.com and some CD burning programs such as Nero will burn them to regular CDs you can listen to.. or you can get this free program called Flac Frontend http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html which can convert them back to .wav files which you can burn or listen to. It also creates flac files, should you ever wish to get into doing that.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 04, 00:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EVANGP wrote:

J0CK3 said it would be a good idea to convert mp3 to flac then trade as flac?

No, J0CK3 never lied. What he actually said was:
"Sharing MP3 and then convert it to flac by yourself would be a good idea."

It seems to me that he thinks people ought to trade mp3 for the size convenience, then convert to FLAC if they want. I think he just doesn't fully understand the differences between mp3 and FLAC. Calling him names accomplishes nothing.

DJ's the man we love the most
marko87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 04, 01:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you concert a mp3 file to flac only change you made was that your file is bigger.It's still lossy file.But if you convert wav to flac you have a little smaller file but it's lossless.Someone there mentioned that 'the sound Quality is already crap' Okay I agree that.Some bootlegs sound bad.But when you convert it to mp3 it will sound even worse.So flac is way too keep the file original.