Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > What's next for DVD-A?

forum rss feed
Author

Lord Fickle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1421 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone know what's going to be the next release on DVD-Audio? I think I read somewhere a while back that Brian was working on a 5.1 remix of Q2, but not seen anything since.

It would be nice if they could speed up the releasing of DVD-As, as one a year (at the most) is going to take a bloody long time to get the whole collection out, and by then, there might be a different format available.

What's the next one you'd like to see on DVD-A? Q2 would be excellent, as would any of the 70s stuff.

Remember to deliver with the speed of light

A little bit of love and joy
agneepath! 11994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1132 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sadly its all quiet on the Queen DVD-A front...

Its not been mentioned by anyone who matters for a very long time.

Giacco 73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd love to hear "Queen II" or "A Day at the Races" for the 70's,"A Kind of Magic" or "The Miracle" for the 80's,"Innuendo" for the 90's but most of all "Made in heaven".I hope they will release the whole Queen catalogue in this format sooner or later!In my collection I have all in three formats:vinyl,audio cassette and CD.DVD-A is the next obligatory step.

Freddie Mercury.

A wonderful human being and simply the greatest singer,performer and composer of our times.
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Giacco 73 wrote:

I'd love to hear "Queen II" or "A Day at the Races" for the 70's,"A Kind of Magic" or "The Miracle" for the 80's,"Innuendo" for the 90's but most of all "Made in heaven".I hope they will release the whole Queen catalogue in this format sooner or later!In my collection I have all in three formats:vinyl,audio cassette and CD.DVD-A is the next obligatory step.

How about they release every album!! AKOM would be great.

Chom own mudder fukker.

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 15:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish Brian and / or Roger would concentrate on these, and some more live DVDs, rather than putting all their efforts into the poxy musical.

KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you don't mind my asking, what's a DVD-A? (I guess you could say that I'm a bit behind my time.) I've heard of them before but I just don't know what they are and it's bugging me.

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you don't mind my asking, what's a DVD-A? (I guess you could say that I'm a bit behind my time.) I've heard of them before but I just don't know what they are and it's bugging me.

(Jim Rohn)

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

errr...stupid comp posted twice again.

(Jim Rohn)
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen II would be amazing. Or Sheer Heart Attack.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DVD-Audio (DVD-A) is basically an audio only DVD, which plays on most DVD players in digital 5.1 surround sound, providing you have a Home Cinema amp. So far, only A Night At The Opera and The Game have been released on DVD-A, but both are absolutely amazing! Brian oversees much of the surround sound remixing, and I believe it's quite an intricate process, but once you've heard ANATO in glorious digital surround sound, you'll definitely want more! Queen II would be fantastic, and I really hope some more Queen DVD-As come out soon.

Scirocco1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 533 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@ KillerQueen:
A DVD-A is a DVD Audio. This means that the albums are remixed in DTS-Surround sound. As long as you have a DVD-Player, a decent receiver (DTS-comatible!) and a nice Surround Sound system, you can hear the albums in a great quality. It sounds even better than the Greatest Hits DVDs because the whole space on the DVD contains music information and no video information.
Queen released A Night at the Opera and The Game so far. And in my opinion they sound simply great and much, much better than the CDs or LPs. Still, there are a bunch of people there who despise this as the songs originally were not originally recorded for surround sound. But since Brian is doing most of the work, I think it is justified to remix them. To me it is a totally new experience.

Looking at this picture:
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/mp3.aspx?Q=5371
it seems like Queen are working on News of the World. And I am fine with it. Queen II would be fab, too. Innuendo, as well... Ah well, I would love to have all of em... Maybe the Flash Gordon Soundtrack is another story. Too movie orientated.

Keep 'em mowing blades sharp!

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@LordFickle...

nice parallel thoughts ;)

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scirocco1977 wrote:

Looking at this picture:
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/mp3.aspx?Q=5371
it seems like Queen are working on News of the World.

That's a very interesting article. I had no idea that some of the master tapes were missing. It could, however, make for some exciting new versions, if they have to use alternative takes to rebuild parts of some of the songs, similar to Coming Soon on the DVD-A of The Game. NOTW would also be one of my favorite choices for a DVD-A remix.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I would say that AKOM would be a likely choice for one of the next DVD-A's, because 5 songs out of that album have been remixed for surround sound already (for GVH2).

However, if they decided not to do DVD-A's with any 4.1 tracks, they'd have to re-remix the tracks already available in surround sound for pure 5.1.

But if they decided not to re-remix these tracks for 5.1, and instead only choose to re-work unremixed tracks, then AKOM, Works, or Miracle would be likely choices for DVD-A's.

I'm sure that they won't go that route though, as I know Brian has had complaints from Queen fans about the 4.1 mixes on the GVH I&II DVD's (along with complaints about the widescreen presentation)

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you!

(Jim Rohn)

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It might be just my imagination but I think that the pure DVD-As are in much better quality. Thus, they would have to work on all tracks again. And work they should do since we are paying about 20 bucks to listen to it.

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@ Inu Yasha (a.k.a. Lum's Stormtroopers)

Were they only 4.1? I'm happy to be corrected, but my GVHI&II DVDs both say DTS 5.1, and they certainly sound like 5.1 on GVHII, although I have my doubts about the sound on GVHI, apart from the tracks which also appear on the NATO DVD-A.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 04, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think there will be another one to be honest

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 04, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scirocco1977 wrote:

@ KillerQueen:
A DVD-A is a DVD Audio. This means that the albums are remixed in DTS-Surround sound. As long as you have a DVD-Player, a decent receiver (DTS-comatible!)

A dvd-audio is defined by MLP encoded audio material (stereo or surround), not DTS or DD which are merely secondary lossy compression formats (yes dts is lossy) included to provide dvd-video player compatibility.

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 04, 01:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just to add a bit to PMA's post, DVD-A and DTS are two completely different formats. It has helped, however, that Queen's DVD-As include a DTS track on them to make them more compatible with various DVD players, particularly since DVD-Audio is not as widespread as other formats. Both formats will play 5.1, though.

And a slightly unrelated question for PMA (or anyone else that would know) -
I saw where several Elton albums were being released in SACD in the next couple months. Are they strictly in SACD format, or will they be released as DVD-As as well, a la Goodbye Yellow Brick Road?

DJ's the man we love the most