Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > "The Miracle" appreciation thread

forum rss feed
Author

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Sep 04, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In my other topic, Joeyjojo had a great idea about the "campfire" atmosphere with us old-timers, so I thought I'd do my best with this one.

We haven't talked about The Miracle album in ages. It features Brian in probably his best form on guitar, showing such virtuosity and clenliness in his always unique style of playing. Brilliant vocal and guitar harmony arrangements are all over the place, and clearly their songwriting abilities had improved greatly from the previous album, A Kind Of Magic.

Also, I think this is their best-produced album. The album must be listened to carefully to pick out all of the little things that make this one a complete gem in terms of production. The Miracle and Scandal are two of the best-produced tracks I have ever heard.

All the songs are great and unique. Not one song on this album sounds like any other in their catalogue, nor anyone else's that I've ever heard. Let's give this under-appreciated album a few more nice reviews in this topic.

This is an "appreciation thread", so no bashing. If you want to bash it, create your own topic.

One other thing... no singing kumbaya.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Perry user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 136 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 04, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love each and every Queen album, but this is one of those special ones, along with Innuendo, Made In Heaven, A Night At The Opera and Queen II, like you said, its a greatly produced album and Brian is very on-form, the one problem with this is here and there Freddie's voice is less enjoyable than usual (still very enjoyable nontheless).

Breakthru, Scandal and I Want It All are all awesome tracks, but the gem of the album is Was It All Worth It, my favourite Queen song, which is a superb way to finish off the album, which could well have been Freddie Mercury's last. Chinese Torture is a very nice instrumental extra too, which would fit into center of Was It All Worth It perfectly,

I give this CD 4.5/5, a true classic.

-Perry
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 04, 18:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This was always one of my favorite albums. IWIA is my favorite song, but Hang On In There, Was It All Worth It, and Invisible Man really drive the CD. It doesn't flow all that well, not like other Queen albums, but it stands up pretty good. It could use some sonic improvements, in my opinion.

Since this is an appreciation thread, I guess Bullwinkle can't post :)

DJ's the man we love the most
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 04, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Miracle is one of those albums I took awhile to appreciate. It's not my favorite, but it does have some great material. I Want It All, Breakthru, Scandal and Was It All Worth It are all great, and I love the catchiness of The Invisible Man.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

the oppositionist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 882 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 04, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><font size=1>ah yeah</font> wrote:

In my other topic, Joeyjojo had a great idea about the "campfire" atmosphere with us old-timers, so I thought I'd do my best with this one.

We haven't talked about The Miracle album in ages. It features Brian in probably his best form on guitar, showing such virtuosity and clenliness in his always unique style of playing. Brilliant vocal and guitar harmony arrangements are all over the place, and clearly their songwriting abilities had improved greatly from the previous album, A Kind Of Magic.

Also, I think this is their best-produced album. The album must be listened to carefully to pick out all of the little things that make this one a complete gem in terms of production. The Miracle and Scandal are two of the best-produced tracks I have ever heard.

All the songs are great and unique. Not one song on this album sounds like any other in their catalogue, nor anyone else's that I've ever heard. Let's give this under-appreciated album a few more nice reviews in this topic.

This is an "appreciation thread", so no bashing. If you want to bash it, create your own topic.

One other thing... no singing kumbaya.

I couldnt possibly agree more. The miracle is my second fave to made in heaven. I just think its so strong. I was devistated that scandal didnt do very well as a single. but then the video was appauling.

melinadeacon@queenzone.com
Lord Fickle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1421 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 04, 18:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never really appreciated The Miracle album at first. Loved I Want It All, Was It All Worth It, and the other heavier tracks, but I think it contains one of the worst Queen tracks ever, in My Baby Does Me.

It was only after seeing the video for The Miracle single, and those brilliant kids, that I started getting more into the album, but i still can't say it's one of my favorites overall.

Remember to deliver with the speed of light

A little bit of love and joy
jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 04, 19:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Miracle was the album that announced to me that the Queen I love was back!
It is probably there least appreciated album even more so than Hot Space.
Here in Canada Hot Space faltered , The Works barley registered and A Kind Of Magic was not even promoted.
Hell neither was The Miracle but it was possibly the best and most "Queen" album of the 80's.

Shake it Sugaree
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 04, 19:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zeni the Wet Sprocket wrote:

Lol...!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Kuku user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 04, 20:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A lot of people seem to get repelled by Party + Khashoggi's Ship... I know I did dislike Party at first. (I still don't like that track that much.) Except that, I love every single track in the album and the sequence of the songs as well. Moreover, the "not-included" bonus tracks are all excellent. (I still don't understand why they didn't include Hang On In There - one of the top three in the album.) Quite flawless from the second song to the end!

Goodbye April lady, It's been good to have you around - Goodbye April lady, You've done a lot for the folks in this town...
Goo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 295 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 04, 21:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Before I bought the Miracle, I hadn't heard many good things about it, and it was very near the bottom of my list of Queen cds I wanted to buy. In fact, the only reason I bought it was because it was the only Queen cd I found after looking in 3 second-hand cd stores! But once I listened to it, I loved it. Breakthru is for sure in my top 5, and I adore Scandal. I have to admit that at first I didn't like Party or Khashoggi's Ship, but for some reason that changed on day, and now I love listening to them. And I even like the bonus tracks! All in all, a great album, and a really nice surprise.

Playful as a pussycat.
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 04, 21:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think I can say enough pleasent things about this album. I just love it! :D

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 04, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lol...!

I'll post anyway because I do not under stand what precipitated that comment.

The Miracle is in my Top 5 of Queen albums for songs like KS, IWIA, tIM, B, and RMF.

I always thought that most fans consider this to be a below average Queen album.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 04, 00:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bullwinkle wrote:

Lol...!

The Miracle is in my Top 5 of Queen albums for songs like KS, IWIA, tIM, B, and RMF.

I always thought that most fans consider this to be a below average Queen album.

Well, dammit, someone around here hates The Miracle, I just can't remember who now.

Apologies, Bull

DJ's the man we love the most
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 04, 02:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who said my party's over?

Me. It was me.

Anyway I haven't heard the entire album but I rather like Party/Kashoggis Ship then the rest of the album (what I've heard is great). One track I'm not really pleased about is 'Was it All Worth It?'. It was alright but I wasn't fond of it. Meh, I guess it'll grow on me like a rash.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 04, 02:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bullwinkle wrote:

Lol...!

Well, dammit, someone around here hates The Miracle, I just can't remember who now.

Apologies, Bull

'Tis me. I also thought Taylor-Mayed or Ogre T Raylot didn't like it either. But, me mouth is shut.

Libor2 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Libor2
Bohemian: 661 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 04, 05:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, this is one of their best from 80’s. I like the most The Miracle, I Want It All and Was It All Worth It.

But now it's time to be gone - forever...
Giacco 73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 04, 09:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMHO "A Night at the Opera" is the best album ever but the one I love more is "The Miracle".Is the first album I bought when was released back in 1989.After viewing on tv the videos of I want it all and then Breakthru I bought that little audio cassette which is the first stone of my now massive music collection of(not only)Queen.A very sunny album,full of energy,power,positivity,will to live and loving of life.To me,if it was a coin while "Innuendo" is the moving,meaningful side "The Miracle" is the light and happy face of it.

Freddie Mercury.

A wonderful human being and simply the greatest singer,performer and composer of our times.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 04, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes the production is awesome in The Miracle. I think it`s a good album but too "single-esque" in terms of song length and form. I wish there were some more variety like in the early albums: some very long numbers, some very short ones, etc

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 04, 09:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As it happens, I took the CD out in my car yesterday and I thought 'fuck this is a good album' not listened to it in ages. I love 'My baby does me', great bass and guitar. and on another not from a past thread, Johns bass in Rain Must Fall is fantastic.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 04, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After WORKS and AKOM this was just pure genius!!! If there's anything I really DIDN'T like about those two albums from mid 80s- it was production and too much keyboards and not enough clear, crisp and sharp guitar... That's definitely the best production on any Queen album- no doubts!!! Also- agree on Brian's playing- it's absolutely brilliant on this album; seems he was practicing a lot prior to recordings...
Many ppl dislike Party, and... I don' mind this track till guitars come in, but when they do- OMG, it's awesome!!! Som eof the riffs from Khashoggi's Ship or Hang On In There are also second to none! And how about longer version of IWIA???? I can't believe they cut this heavy riff from the middle, just before the "fast" section- it's one of the best rifffs I've ever heard!!!! And "Was It All Worth It"- one of the greatest intros, definitely one of the best riffs, the ending is just so energetic and so powerful- I always wish they played this riff there few more times...
I'm not very big fan of Rain Must Fall or My Baby Does Me, but I do not dislike them... Also not a huge fan of SCANDAL, but there's some brilliant solo (different one, additional) on 12" version (if you can stand this shitty mix...)... Breakthru was THE FIRST QUEEN SONG I've ever heard, so obviously I have a spot for it...
All in all- I think it's brilliant album, definitely in my top5; definitely the best in 80s, the best Queen studio album since THE GAME or maybe even JAZZ... Great come back to ROCK...