Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Plant's Innuendo

forum rss feed
Author

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Led Zeppelin and Robert Plant just aren't very good at one-offs, I suppose.

MayFan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 202 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don...I saw Led Zep's performance on tv at Live Aid when it happened and let me tell you it SUCKED! LZ is my favorite band without a doubt. I love everything they even committed to vinyl. But, they were horrific, and that's being kind. Phil Collins missed most of his cues, Plant's vocals were sub-par, and Page's guitars were out of tune. Yes, guitars as in all of them. I was soooo disappointed. They also were horrible at the Atlantic 35th Anniversary concert. Same shit, different night. I just think Bonham's death solidified the curse the band has for bad luck. They were never even close to being the same after it.

..got my mind on my money and my money on my mind....
LiveAidQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4489 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 18:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It sucks.

Comprende muchacho.
agneepath! 11994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1132 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Visit Rien's site:

http://www.mercuryparadise.com/

and you can download a video of plant's version of Innuendo.

vocals aside - its still great to listen to a live version of Innuendo though.

LiveAidQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4489 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 19:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's true, it's one of a kind...sort of.

Comprende muchacho.
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 19:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was at the tribute, the sound at the beginning was very poor, I think Rien will back me up on that!! But as a performance, it wasnt bad, Its just Bob Plants style. I didnt think it was a disgrace, and besides, the crowd quite liked it from what I remember!

Chom own mudder fukker.

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 20:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just realized I never commented on Plant at the tribute concert.....

To clarify my point of view, I did find Plant's performance at the tribute concert quite enjoyable. I thought Innuendo was a great choice for him because it sounds very zeppelin-esque. I also liked the way they started CLTCL with Thank You. I think that material would be worth having. But the Live Aid show......BLAH! =P

BackToHuman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 122 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 23:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think "they were never very good at one-offs" is a fairer assessment than "they were never the same after Bonham" -- i just watched the video of the Unledded version of 'Kashmir' on tv yesterday, and had forgotten how great that version of the song is.

jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 00:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually liked Plant's take on the tune. Innuendo seemed the most Zeppelin-esque especially with the bit of Kashmir in there. I thought it was one of the highlights of the night and was disappointed it was not on the DVD.

Shake it Sugaree
The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 01:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MayFan wrote:

I just think Bonham's death solidified the curse the band has for bad luck. They were never even close to being the same after it.

You're right, but only to an extent. One of the greatest concerts of my life was seeing Page/Plant in 98. It wasn't Zeppelin, but it was damn close.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 01:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><font size=1>ah yeah</font> wrote:

You're right, but only to an extent. One of the greatest concerts of my life was seeing Page/Plant in 98. It wasn't Zeppelin, but it was damn close.

Actually, I'd say it was only about half-way there :)

DJ's the man we love the most
Zizzu user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 48 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 04:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Plant performance at FMT was pathetic! I've no comment. Unfortunatly this is the only one live version of Innuendo...great Roger, John & Brian!!

I gonna feel this world is using me!
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I liked Innuendo a lot, even though Robert had some out of pitch notes during "forever we`ll be", Roger missed the beat in the flamenco section, and Brian started it wrong too :), but any song has mistakes, especially live. And those ones were pretty funny (except for the vocal thing, which is a little disturbing indeed), but imo the remaining 99% of their performances (including Robert`s) were great

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Roger_in_Tigerskin_Trousers user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 09:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Led Zep but those performances are diabolical. I mean Stairway should have been one of two highpoints in the show (the other one being Bo Rhap). they really had fallen far from their earlier glory.

Why did the 80s have to happen?

Who wants body language instead of liar

???????????????????????????????????????
PrincesofTheUniverse user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 73 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Horrible version, didn't like it at the time & don't like it now. This is 1 of only 2 live versions of Innuendo I've ever heard, & they were both terrible. The other was by Queen tribute act "Magic-A Kind of Queen" or should that be "Awful-A Kind of Butlins" ? They totally put me off ever seeing any "tribute" bands again.

"The greed of man will be, far away from me. And my soul will be free, they won't go when I go..."

=====================

Dunfermline, Scotland
BrianRules user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 108 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The music is superb! Robert is definitely struggling through it, but I guess I've heard worse. Like someone had said, vocals aside, it's a great live version of the song, that's for sure.

every second word he swore,

yes, he was the son of a whore,

always wanted by the law!

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BackToHuman wrote:

i think "they were never very good at one-offs" is a fairer assessment than "they were never the same after Bonham" -- i just watched the video of the Unledded version of 'Kashmir' on tv yesterday, and had forgotten how great that version of the song is.

Sure Un-Led-ed was good. They had 102 piece orchestra and an Indian band plus thier own band to back them up. I'd sound good in that situation! I'm talking about Led Zeppelin as a four piece band. Not Plant at the FMT or Page/Plant. The Live Aid performance was ghastly!!

Óli Gneisti Sóleyjarson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 52 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 21:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've heard that LZ Live Aid performance was bad because Collins was jetlagged (he took the Concorde to get from London to Philly). I myself haven't seen it so I don't know if this makes sense.

The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 30 Sep 04, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MayFan wrote:

Sure Un-Led-ed was good. They had 102 piece orchestra and an Indian band plus thier own band to back them up.

Can't wait for the DVD release of this. October 26th!!!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Libor2 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Libor2
Bohemian: 661 posts

Posted: 30 Sep 04, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I listened it yesterday to fresh my memories. When I had seen it on FM tribute, I was shocked then, how bad it’ve been.

After those years I think Robert performance of Innuendo was rather bad, but it wasn’t so horrible I had thought. After all, it was live gig and it’s always harder than to sing in studio.

But now it's time to be gone - forever...