Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Homophobic comments from Axl Rose and Sebastian Bach

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Many of you might know that Axl Rose from Guns N' Roses, and Sebastian Bach from Skid Row have many times mentioned how much they have been influenced by Queen, and how much they admire and respect Freddie Mercury.

Seems a little weird to me when these two guys have been well know for sparking anti-gay controversy.

Axl Rose made the headlines with the song 'One In A Million' from the album 'Lies', which includes racist, and homophobics comments through the whole song. Here's a small part of the lyrics...

<< Immigrants and faggots
They make no sense to me
They come to your country
And think the do as they please
Like start a mini Iran
Or spread some fucking disease
They talk so many goddamn ways
It's all greek to >>

Axl has defended his position by saying that the song has been taken out of context, and it doesn't reflect his personal opinions but it is intended to rather show issues like racism, homophobia, and violence as a common reality.

I think I read somewhere (forgot which book) that Axl mentioned in an interview back in 1989 that he would be very glad to meet Freddie Mercury in person, to what Freddie responded... "I'd like to meet him too, so I can spit on his face" (something like that).

Now, the thing with Sebastian Bach from Skid Row is even more controversial... Bach was pictured in a metal magazine in 1990 wearing a T-shirt that read "AIDS kills fags dead" (a parody of an insecticide slogan). Asked by MTV News about the shirt, Bach laughingly said, "I do not condone, comprehend, or understand homosexuality in any way, shape, form, or size." In the face of mounting public outrage, Bach stated that he had friends who were gay and that he disapproved of gay bashing.

Recently on VH1's 'I Love The 80s', Sebastian Bach talked a bit about Queen and their 1980 hit 'Another One Bites The Dust'. Sebastian Bach mentioned how Freddie Mercury was one of the greatest frontmen of all time.

Any thoughts?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
LiveAidQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4489 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 18:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Split personality? I think so...

Comprende muchacho.
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love GnR and I love Skid Row, at the end of the day, these were bands that were not long just starting out, they needed to create an image and if thats what they chose to do then so be it. Ive seen both bands live and theyre both fucking excellent. Skid Row really surprised me, great live act. All I can put it down to is 'As you get older you get wiser!' Freddie would have forgiven Axl, his documentary was pretty heartfelt I thought, and If Bach chooses Fred as an influence and praises him then What a Guy! And remember, Axl got hammered at the tribute whice resulted in the 'Shove It' during Paradise City', I think he learned his lesson! People deserve a second chance.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Brian_Mays_Wig

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 19:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian_Mays_Wig wrote:

I love GnR and I love Skid Row, at the end of the day, these were bands that were not long just starting out, they needed to create an image and if thats what they chose to do then so be it. Ive seen both bands live and theyre both fucking excellent. Skid Row really surprised me, great live act. All I can put it down to is 'As you get older you get wiser!' Freddie would have forgiven Axl, his documentary was pretty heartfelt I thought, and If Bach chooses Fred as an influence and praises him then What a Guy! And remember, Axl got hammered at the tribute which resulted in the 'Shove It' during Paradise City', I think he learned his lesson! People deserve a second chance.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Brian_Mays_Wig

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oops, i think you get my drift!

Chom own mudder fukker.
Brian_Mays_Wig

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry to carry on by the way but , MJ, what a great topic!!

Chom own mudder fukker.
Albyboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 375 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian_Mays_Wig wrote:

I love GnR and I love Skid Row, at the end of the day, these were bands that were not long just starting out, they needed to create an image and if thats what they chose to do then so be it. Ive seen both bands live and theyre both fucking excellent. Skid Row really surprised me, great live act. All I can put it down to is 'As you get older you get wiser!' Freddie would have forgiven Axl, his documentary was pretty heartfelt I thought, and If Bach chooses Fred as an influence and praises him then What a Guy! And remember, Axl got hammered at the tribute whice resulted in the 'Shove It' during Paradise City', I think he learned his lesson! People deserve a second chance.

Yes, I agree with B_M_W... Especially about Seb: at the time he did that interview, he was barely in his twenties... So, even if I don't want to justify such an idiot statement, I think that everybody deserves a second chance... About Axl, I never liked him too much but, in this case too, I think his tongue went faster than his brain... Anyway, it's quite easy to generalize when you've got a background similar to Axl's: don't want to justify anybody, absolutely, but...

:-)

Albyboy

And the light, turn then off my friend... And the ghosts... Well just let them in... Cause in the dark it's easier to see...
Giacco 73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also Sebastian Bach performed live with my second all time favourite singer,Rob Halford of Judas Priest.It happened in 1992 and Rob in 1997-98 came out of the closet by saying that he was gay.Bach while performing was claiming Rob his own metal idol.Well maybe if he knew he was gay he probably would change his mind...Or he just made a separation between the man and the artist.We never can tell.
By the way,also Rob Halford said that he really love Queen music and admire Freddie as a singer and was shocked for his death.He met Freddie once in the island of Mikonos,Greece,known for its gay clubs.I think he influenced Freddie outfits during the Jazz era,1978/79,all the black leather stuff and Queen influenced early Judas Priest albums.

Freddie Mercury.

A wonderful human being and simply the greatest singer,performer and composer of our times.
Brian_Mays_Wig

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 19:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I cant stand Rob Halford, JP were shite! But fair play if hed shown respect for Freddie later on, I know they didnt get on in the 70's.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Homophobic comments are easily forgivable I guess. Same thing happened with Eminem & Elton John (though you can't blame Elton for forgiving such a cute guy)

MayFan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 202 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I was watching the Freddie Tribute concert when they were broadcasting it live on MTV, at the end of Bo Rhap when Axl came out with Elton John to sing the end part together ("nothing really matters...."), Elton put his arm around Axl and I swear you could see Axl's whole body stiffen like he was disgusted or something. That always stuck in my mind. I don't care if Elton John is gay, straight, bi, purple, or thinks he's Zues, he is one of the greatest performers, musician, singer, and songwriter in rock and roll! Have some respect, ya bastard!!!

Sorry....I feel better now....
I loved G'NR, but hate Axl. IMHO, he thinks he's a legend in his own mind.

..got my mind on my money and my money on my mind....
Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All any famous person has to say, after having said something way out of line, "that was taken out of context" and all is forgiven. That's stupid. I don't think Seb wore the AIDS shirt to offend gays, but maybe it was just funny to him. I'm not, however, defending what he said, though. In the end, it doesn't matter, music is music. One person's sexuality doesn't make you rock more or sound more talented. We just have to learn to be at peace with the fact that a lot of straight men will sometimes say something homophobic. And for the record, Axl is a f*cking t**t!

joeyjojo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 396 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 21:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Any thoughts?"

Who cares what two washed up pretty boy rockers think? ;o)

To be serious, crap and controversy sells. They're smart enough to know that.

MayFan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 202 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 21:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"To be serious, crap and controversy sells. They're smart enough to know that."
2 words...Marilyn Manson. 'Nuf said.

..got my mind on my money and my money on my mind....
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 21:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Eminem defends his position on using the word 'faggot' on his records by saying that 'fag' or 'faggot' is commonly used as an insult to describe someone's lack of courage rather than to describe someone's sexual preferences.

The only part in which I defend Eminem is that he's not the first rapper to use that word.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now speaking of Elton John, he opened a can of worms lately when he called some news reporters in Taiwan 'PIGS'.

Many people took it as a racial insult, but I think Elton John was only bothered by the fact that the news reporters were up his ass and hardly allowed him to walk through, and calling them 'Pigs' was never meant to be a racist remark.

BackToHuman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 122 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 04, 23:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elton had a problem with have reporters up his ass?

(sorry....it was too easy)

GonnaUseMyPrisoners user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 00:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People learn. People grow. Myself included.

Even I used to be outwardly intolerant when I was in the closet, yes in the closet (the irony is too blatant for words).

All I can say is that I'm glad I don't have anyone around me to remind me of the bizarre, scared, hateful things I've said in the past.

...gonna use my prisoners, gonna give 'em the business...
joeyjojo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 396 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 01:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"the irony is too blatant for words"

I think that says a lot about our society's (illogical, but prevalent) norms. When a country starts talking about writing into their constitution explicit discrimination based on ones sexual orientation, it's hard not to find a pervasive homophobia out there.

jasen101 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 01:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't care what they think!

Freddie: "Yes, we'll have a great big cock fly over the crowd!"

Roadies: "Yeah! Great Idea!"

Freddie: "And it will fly into a great big mouth with a moustache!"