Forums > Queen News > "A Day At The Races" Next DVD-Audio

forum rss feed
Author

Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 13:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shit!

Innuendo would have been a hundred times better choise.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Giacco 73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 15:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think is the best choice they could do.IMHO is the best Queen album after A Night at the Opera.Every album should be released in DVD-Audio format.And I believe sooner or later it will happen.I hope maybe they pick up albums from different decades for the next releases and I'd love to hear Innuendo or even more Made in Heaven for the next one.But I think the one who would benefit more this treatment is Queen II.It would sound unbelieveble in 5.1 DTS sound!

Freddie Mercury.

A wonderful human being and simply the greatest singer,performer and composer of our times.
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 04, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hoped it would be Queen II, but ADATR is probably the next best choice along with Innuendo.

Libor2 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Libor2
Bohemian: 661 posts

Posted: 30 Sep 04, 09:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hoped for QII too, but ADATR is fine.

But now it's time to be gone - forever...
thanks freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
thanks freddie
Bohemian: 324 posts

Posted: 30 Sep 04, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i could find it on brianmay.com, so when will it be released????

michel

www.vrienden.wordpress.com

My personal DUTCH blog
thanks freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
thanks freddie
Bohemian: 324 posts

Posted: 30 Sep 04, 12:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you're right about that, hopefully in the near future Queen II will be released as DVD-A. I really hope so.

Michel

www.vrienden.wordpress.com

My personal DUTCH blog
joeyjojo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 396 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 04, 15:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So, fill me on on DVD-A. I haven't jumped into this yet. I assume (duh!) that you need a DVD player to listen to it. Is it mixed in 5-1 surround?

I'm intrigued. ADATR is an amazing album. But not sure if my current surround system would really do any DVD-A justice. ;o)

popy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 450 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 04, 23:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brian says "it looks like "A Day at the Races" will be the next project we take on. Now there's nice fertile soil !"

so... MAYBE it will be ADATR

Libor2

Posted: 03 Oct 04, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

joeyjojo wrote:

So, fill me on on DVD-A. I haven't jumped into this yet. I assume (duh!) that you need a DVD player to listen to it. Is it mixed in 5-1 surround?

I'm intrigued. ADATR is an amazing album. But not sure if my current surround system would really do any DVD-A justice. ;o)

You can play it on standard DVD player too, but only in 'Dolby Digital 5.1'. If you want to have the highest possible quality, you’d have got some DVD-A player and then you can listen to 'Advanced Resolution Surround' (5+1 channels in 96 kHz) if your DVD-A is connected to surround system or - if you connect your DVD-A to standard stereo system, then you can listen to 'Advanced Resolution Stereo' (2 channels in 96 kHz). BTW, classic CD-DA format has sample frequency 44.1 kHz.

There are multiformat DVD players on the market today. They can play DVD-video, DVD-audio and some even SACD (another high quality format). The cheapest one is from Pioneer, a little bit better are from Denon or Marantz. Price of Pioneer (575A) could be about 230$. Of course, the price limit is not restricted. So, if you have a lot of money ... :-)

VGB user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 209 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 02:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I prefer the DTS tracks ;)

"the radio's playin Queen, and we're rockin out" - saves the day
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 22:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can't play the Queen DVD-A's in Dolby Digital 5.1 on a standard player. As I understand it, the DVD-Audio track is Dolby Digital but for standard players you only get a PCM stereo track.

This is why I'm screwed when it comes to Queen 5.1. I only have standard players and only Dolby Digital on my receiver, so I can't hear the DTS tracks.

Libor2

Posted: 06 Oct 04, 05:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

whirled peas wrote:

You can't play the Queen DVD-A's in Dolby Digital 5.1 on a standard player. As I understand it, the DVD-Audio track is Dolby Digital but for standard players you only get a PCM stereo track.

This is why I'm screwed when it comes to Queen 5.1. I only have standard players and only Dolby Digital on my receiver, so I can't hear the DTS tracks.

Jeffrey, I don't think you're right here. You do play on standard DVD-player DD or DTS 5.1. Of course, there should be such track (I mean 5.1) on the DVD-A disc. As I understand DVD-A discs needn't necessary have such track, so it depends on the concrete DVD-A disc.

If you have DVD-A player, then you can hear the high resolution audio tracks (5.1 or stereo down-mix). Advantage of this audio tracks are higher sampling rates (between 44.1 - 192 kHz; on Queen's it's 96 kHz), longer word length (between 16 - 24 bits; on Queen’s it’s 24 bits) and it uses MLP (lossless) compression system (in opposite to DD or DTS which use lossy compression system).

Briefly speaking, DVD-A offers higher quality audio than CD-Audio or even DVD-video. And, except it, there could be on DVD-A discs lyrics, photos, another informations, video tracks (ANATO contains video track of BoRhap for example).

You can also look on Queen Online shop:
http://www.shop.queenonline.com/mall/productpage.cfm/qen/500068/52229

There is section 'What is DVD Audio'. In other words it is said the same I wrote above.

Have a nice day.

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 04, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"A Night At The Opera will play on all DVD players in any region (DVD regions 1-6), (standard 'DVD Video' and new 'DVD Audio' players) in both DTS 5.1 surround sound and stereo. If listening via a DVD Audio-capable machine, the extra MLP advanced resolution 5.1 mix provides the ultimate sound (96kHz/24bit) experience."

DTS 5.1, stereo or DVD-A. Nothing for 5.1 in Dolby Digital. Same with Queen DVDs. DTS 5.1 or PCM, nothing for 5.1 Dolby Digital.

Libor2

Posted: 06 Oct 04, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, Jeffrey, you're right that Queen DVD-A has only DTS 5.1. But speaking about DVD-A overall, it's possible to have DD also. As DVD-A it’s very open format, it’s on manufacturer to choose, what kind of tracks will be on concrete disc.
So we can expect different types of tracks on different DVD-A discs. And, to be true, just now I’m speaking only teoretically, as I have only two Queen’s DVD-A.

If you have time look at this:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=27691

Have a fine day.

Paula46 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 47 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 04, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm glad I read this, because now I know what DVD - Audio means!