Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Please stop!

forum rss feed
Author

trustno1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 04:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

While recognising that it's completely up to the remaining members of Queen what they do with the brand, as a fan, I just wish Brian and Roger would move on. I've long dreamed of a collaboration between the two, not under the Queen banner; just a joint album of new material. Instead we get albums of re-packaged songs and a musical.

I say this with the greatest respect to Brian and Roger. I believe they, especially Brian, are too good musicians to be wasting their time producing Maybe it was the record companies that decided to put out GHIII (an utterly obscene release) and Queen Rocks (not so bad - at least we get a decent version of I Can't Live with You). The downward spiral Queen were on since Jazz just keeps on going.

Just wondered what other fans thought about this.

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 14:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So basically, you're saying every album after Jazz was crap? That really zaps any credibility you might've had. I'm all for constructive criticism, but hating everything after 1978 doesn't make you seem like a Queen fan at all.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He didn't say all the albums after Jazz sucked he just basically said nothing measured up to that era. I tend to agree that no Queen album is as good as those from the seventies (Innuendo stands a chance). I also agree that Brian and Roger should move on. This was actually a decent post.

Shake it Sugaree
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good topic, although "downward spiral" may be too strong of a term. Queen were at their peak during the "No Synths" years, and Queen music released in the 80's and beyond is on average somewhat below the quality of the "No Syths" years. IMHO, the downward spiral began in earnest after the Freddie box set was released in 2000.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Queen were at their peak during the "No Synths" years, and Queen music released in the 80's and beyond is on average somewhat below the quality of the "No Syths" years"

That depends on what music you like. If you are a huge fan of 80's music you probably won't like anything but the 80's Queen hits like Radio Ga Ga or You don't Fool Me.
But I agree that the best songs were written in the 70's (as i'm no synth fan)

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Albyboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 375 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Totally with Jericho... I'd stop even before "Jazz", but far from saying that post-1977 production is crap...

"The Miracle", "Innuendo" and "Made in Heaven" deserve to challenge the albums from the '70s... They don't have chances against the first five ones, but I don't judge them far worse than "News of the World"...

Anyway, in my opinion, it's really difficult to make comparisons between the '70s albums and the following ones... Sometimes it seems like they were even written by two different bands... It's not a critic, just a simple stylistic consideration...

*EDIT* And I agree with what FriedChicken pointed out too.

:-)

Albyboy

And the light, turn then off my friend... And the ghosts... Well just let them in... Cause in the dark it's easier to see...
Sonia Doris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6254 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 18:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

a very good representation I might say...
although it is going down at the very moment i am typing

2+2=5

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 05:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am a Queen fan, but the only reasons I listen to post-News of the World stuff are to hear Freddie's voice (which, for me, kept getting better right up until end of his recording career) and Brian's guitar work.

Of course I can only generalise, but it's clear to me that, after News of the World, in terms of song-writing, things went downhill. John and Roger just aren't the songwriters that Freddie and Brian are, and Jazz, for example, really suffers from the chronically bad songs from Roger and John. Even Freddie's output as time went on was pretty shocking. I mean, you expect something more from the guy who gave us Side Black!

I love Queen, but their 80s output cannot be compared to the earlier stuff.

Having said all that, Innuendo is a real return to excellence, if not reaching the heights of earlier albums.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me the way downwords started after THE GAME- between GAME labum and MIRACLE... Well, let's just say that I'm not very big fan of it... But I disagree about JAZZ, IMO it's a decent album, very underrated- yeah, it's true that Roger's tracks are awful on this one, but... Freddie's songs are great IMO, especially Mustapha (oh I love the heavy change from mono to stereo!!!!), Let Me Entertain You(whjat a great riff!) or very underrated Jealousy... But I tend to agree that synth era is... well, not for me, sorry...
And yeah, sure, thay shopuld move on- I liked WWRY musical, I really enjoyed it, but... Is it worth 3 years of Brian's life? Not so sure... (actually, I shouldn't bloody complain- without the musical I wouldn't have WWRY book with Brian's dedication in it, so...)

Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 10:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John and Roger just arent the song writers Freddie and Brian were???

Would I be wrong in thinking then that John Deacon didnt write the biggest global hit that Queen ever had with Another One Bites The Dust?? He must be a crap songwriter!

Chom own mudder fukker.

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just because it sells, doesn't mean it's great. I actually like AOBTD (definately John's best song), but, on the whole, John's songwriting, especially his lyrics, is stilted and always sounds cheesy to me.

jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jealousy has always been one of my favorite Queen songs. A VERY under rated track.

Shake it Sugaree
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John is such a great writer.