Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Underrated guitar solos

forum rss feed
Author

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 23:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We've discussed Brian's best solos, but what are some of the others that deserve attention but just happen to be forgotten?

For example, All Dead, All Dead, Back Chat, Life Is Real, If You Can't Beat Them, Rain Must Fall, etc. Any others?

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 23:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You & I has a fantastic solo, but my favorite underrated one is You Don't Fool Me...Brian Harold May totally takes the song to a new level.
I think his emotive solo on Who Wants to Live Forever is often overlooked in the grand sweep of the song, but it is quite an ace solo.

Man Made Paradise
GonnaUseMyPrisoners user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 23:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thought the one on Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon was really great. I think it's overlooked/underrated because the song is so "un-serious", not done live, and so short, it almost seems more like an interlude... a really jolly, glue-sniffing interlude... ;-)

But that song's solo also reminds me of the famous and well-recongnized Killer Queen solo, and I love that one, too (though I'm not saying Killer Queen is underrated, by any stretch). I only mention it because those two always make me wonder how much or which elements of the resultant finished solo was of Freddie's design and how much was Brian's.

And I like Sweet Lady, even though I know I'll suffer a thousand daggers for saying so on this board! Underrated because practically no one likes the song, and I kind of like that busy, polyrhythmic, all-out jam style solo with the "yelping dog" effect he gets in the fade out. Think I'll put it on now & wake my neighbor!

...gonna use my prisoners, gonna give 'em the business...
juls user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 158 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 02:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi!

IMO the well-orchestrated solos (or call it soli?) are mostly underrated. For example Good Company, which features a whole brass and woodwind ensemble, or Millionaire Waltz of course, as well as Sunday Afternoon, YTMBA, MOTBQ etc etc. Most of his solos (or soli?) are done with a lot of fantasy and inventing new melodies to the lead vocal melody on the verses, which is really a hard job (Killer Queen, Hard Life, BoRhap, Play the Game, Save Me, Days of Our Lives etc.)

Special thanks to Arif Mardin who arranged and produced some hot and spacey horns on "Staying Power" ;-)
Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 04:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Someone to die for" guitar parts are well done according to me...its' the song from the spiderman soundtrack played by brian of course ;) the harmoninized sounds on the red special sound great!

Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 06:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

juls wrote:

Hi!

IMO the well-orchestrated solos (or call it soli?) are mostly underrated. For example Good Company, which features a whole brass and woodwind ensemble, or Millionaire Waltz of course, as well as Sunday Afternoon, YTMBA, MOTBQ etc etc. Most of his solos (or soli?) are done with a lot of fantasy and inventing new melodies to the lead vocal melody on the verses, which is really a hard job (Killer Queen, Hard Life, BoRhap, Play the Game, Save Me, Days of Our Lives etc.)

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. This is why Brian is such a good guitarist, or Queen is such a good group if the solos aren't purely Brian's invention. Often I think the solos compliment the song more than other guitarist's work. That's what puts the icing on the cake!

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 06:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GonnaUseMyPrisoners wrote:

And I like Sweet Lady, even though I know I'll suffer a thousand daggers for saying so on this board! Underrated because practically no one likes the song, and I kind of like that busy, polyrhythmic, all-out jam style solo with the "yelping dog" effect he gets in the fade out. Think I'll put it on now & wake my neighbor!

I love Sweet Lady and don't understand why people slate it either! I like it even more after reading the analysis of the lyrics here that suggested it was a "conversation" between lovers etc. That seems a correct analysis to me.

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 04, 10:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Made In Heaven

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 04, 17:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think one of my favourite - and least talked about:
these are the days of our lives

he actually makes the guitar sing out complete and utter sadness and despair in that solo in a way that they then matched perfectly with the somberly tearful goodbye of the video

go deo na h√Čireann
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 04, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is also one of my favorite solos. :)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 04, 19:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sleeping on the Sidewalk. Delish!

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!
juls user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 158 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 04, 20:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh I think we forgot to mention Dead on time. It's late is very good too, and Sleeping on the sidewalk, it has the typical dry sound, so you can best imagine how Queen sounded in a rehearsal room. And it's a "one-take".

Special thanks to Arif Mardin who arranged and produced some hot and spacey horns on "Staying Power" ;-)
jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 04, 21:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also love Sweet Lady and agree that it has a wild underrated solo at the end. My two cents :P

Shake it Sugaree
MatiasQueen89 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 94 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 16:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian's solos aren't technically amazing... but they're fucking good!!

The Invisible Man's solo is just a chromatic scale... it's pretty simple, but I think it's great!
Guitar solos can be simple or complex... but simple or complex solos can't guarantee quality...

Brian is not the best guitarist in the world, but his songs are great.

An underrated guitar solo.....
Was It All Worth It, The Hero, Save Me, These Are The Days Of Our Lives.

PS: I'm from Argentina, and I'm 15. There may be some mistakes in my posts...

Viva Queen es la mejor banda del planeta. Nada se le compara, aguante Queen!!!

Viva Nito Mestre que es un viejo puto.
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

can i add to my earlier TATDOOL? also GOFLB and STL

go deo na h√Čireann
Josuè user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1970 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 20:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just can think of the 'Rock it (Prime Jive)' solo, I love it!

Sebastian might agree with me.

An interview? Oh, don't be ridiculous...