Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Should Delilah have been a B-side?

forum rss feed
Author

Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 23:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Many of us don't particularly care for Delilah, although it can be viewed as an amusing indulgence to a dying friend....But the question is: would this indulgence have been better served as a B-side to a single such as Headlong or better yet, Slightly Mad? And to replace it on the album, perhaps Lost Opportunity, which I believe fits the somber, yet hopeful tone of the album, or a Freddie-on-vocals version of Driven by You, although that probably wouldn't have been finished in time for the album's release.
It's just nitpicking, really, because Innuendo is a fine, fine album. But it was just a thought.

Man Made Paradise
GonnaUseMyPrisoners user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 23:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well, it might have disappointed a lot of Queen fans who are also "golden shower" enthusiasts, who no doubt rejoice in the "pee all over..." line.

what a god-awful song.

...gonna use my prisoners, gonna give 'em the business...
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 04, 23:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I understand the reason for Delilah, but in the scheme of things, it's not that great of a song, at least compared to the other material on Innuendo. It kind of reminds me of Body Language in a way, because it's one of Freddie's indulgence songs. I agree, though, Lost Opportunity definitely could've fit the theme of the album.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 00:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In a perfect world, 'Self-Made Man' and 'My Secret Fantasy' would have been completed, and 'Lost Opportunity' would have been featured as well, allowing for an altered track list:

Side One: Innuendo / I'm Going Slightly Mad / Headlong / Self-Made Man / My Secret Fantasy / Don't Try So Hard.

Side Two: These Are The Days Of Our Lives / Lost Opportunity / Ride The Wild Wind / The Hitman / Bijou / The Show Must Go On.

One can dream, aye? *dreams*

Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 01:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good point, Lester....I heard Self Made Man recently for the first time and was very impressed with the rough dynamics of the song...With some polishing off, it would have been an excellent addition to Innuendo, or even Made in Heaven....

Man Made Paradise
juls user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 158 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 02:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi!

would be a new tread: which song should be replaced by a B-Side on each album? (f.e. I go crazy -> Tear it up, Mad the Swine -> Seven Seas instrumental, Hijack my heart -> Rain must fall, Stealin' -> My baby does me)
And in this case, Delilah is not even worth a B-Side IMHO. If I would write a song like this, and show it to my band (I am bass player BTW) the others would refuse it, that's sure. I don't know how Freddie managed to get a weak song on a brilliant album.

Special thanks to Arif Mardin who arranged and produced some hot and spacey horns on "Staying Power" ;-)
Scirocco1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 533 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 02:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am not too sure about this, but I read somewhere that Lost Opportunity was recorded much earlier than the rest of Innuendo. Therefore, it would not be appropriate for being on the Innuendo album. they released a lot of old songs as B-sides (Mad the swine etc.).
If Delilah would not be on Innuendo, then it would cease being Innuendo... because the song itself is an innuendo. Ah geez, need more coffee to write something worth reading...

Keep 'em mowing blades sharp!
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Or they could have just put Delilah as a B-Side and leave 11 tracks in the album. After all, ANATO has 11 too, Races has 10, Magic has 9...

Innuendo would be 11 tracks then, but all very good. I agree Delilah lowers a little the album`s standards, as did Sweet Lady in ANATO. But obviously it`s a matter of opinion

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 04:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

I agree Delilah lowers a little the album`s standards, as did Sweet Lady in ANATO. But obviously it`s a matter of opinion
EXACTLY. I mean, I for one love Delilah. I think it's cute and I also like Brian's playing in it. :)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 04:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

juls wrote:

Hi!
And in this case, Delilah is not even worth a B-Side IMHO. If I would write a song like this, and show it to my band (I am bass player BTW) the others would refuse it, that's sure. I don't know how Freddie managed to get a weak song on a brilliant album.

The song as such is an indulgence and like Leroy Brown or Lazing something which people either love or hate (I do love those tracks) but in the context and considering the subtile undertone of the album it fits... the dynamics and the tension of Innuendo are just perfect, it works like a concept-album (which, although they never were, in my opinion SHA, ANATO and ADATR do as well) - while you're still wondering what the hell this Miaouw-Song was, they kick your ass with "Hitman"

As a song I think it's Freddie not taking things too seriously and meant to be taken with a pinch of salt. On the album it's part of a perfectly constructed puzzle, a rollercoaster-ride of different moods. Innuendo is such a great album !

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
juls user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 158 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 06:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regor,

sure you are right - but unfortunately the musical quality of Leroy or Lazing is way higher standard! Okay, thats IMHO! :D

Imagine, *you* (and not the three other queen members) would have to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars (or pounds or whatever) for one hour working in the studio... and you would for example record Delilah, say... in 40,50,60 hours. Then the funny little Delilah is a quite expensive joke, don't you think? :D

Special thanks to Arif Mardin who arranged and produced some hot and spacey horns on "Staying Power" ;-)
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

juls wrote:

When a very good friend of yours is dying in the next few months and comes and tells you that he has written a song about his favourite cat and would like to include it on the album you don't tell him to fuck off, do you?

Delilah is a good song in my opinion. All songs don't need to be about death, heartache and pain. Of all songs on the Innuendo album Delilah is the one that is for me the most emotional - a song written by a sick and weak man (compare with Wembley-Freddie), who doesn't have anyone else who is important for him than his cats.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 08:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Musically not my fav but... a dying man records a song about important thing in his life- his favourite cat; without being pretentious, without saying crap "I;m leavoing, I feel bad, blah, blah, blah"- he just records about one of the most beloved things for him... It fits the album IMO, it fits the way the album is constructed... Yeah, we can say- this song is better, should be there, but than we'll get a singles collection, not an album- sth as bad as Works or AKOM...

And I totally disagree about Sweet Lady on ANATO- it's a great riff and a great song and it fits the album IMO- more than- let's say- You're My Best Friend... Don't get me wrong- I like the song, but... It stops the dramaturgy for me...

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 08:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We all know that Delilah would have never made it into a Queen album if Freddie didn't have a foot on his grave.

It's sad but it's true. Not good enough for a Queen album, although it would have fit the standards of a Freddie Mercury solo album.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 10:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What makes Slightly Mad better than Delilah in your opinion (I like both)? It's just as "ridiculous" and no-Queen-ish.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Delilah. I remember being embarassed about playing it in the presence of others, but after I got over that, it was a great pleasure. Especially Brian's guitar touches. Nice little track. There's something that feels really good about it. Nice feeling to it.

Peace,
Adam.

EDIT: Lost Opportunity is dull from the word, go.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Delilah, there's nothing wrong with it. It has a nice Queen-sound and its pure for fun, just like Fat Bottemd Girls. It's a nice epic song, with the nice, warm May guitar sound and I love the Meoow-thing! I don't understand why people don't like this song, although I have to agree that this is the weakest song from the Innuendo-album, but it's certainly not bad!

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Giacco 73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Delilah is a lovely song,a divertissment in pure Freddie style.Most of all I like the miao guitar solo and like him I really love cats too!
It fit perfectly in Innuendo IMHO,maybe The Hitman is slightly out of place on this album,even though I really like that song too.

Freddie Mercury.

A wonderful human being and simply the greatest singer,performer and composer of our times.
Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 04, 14:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Delilah shouldn't be a b-side. In fact, it should have been put-aside. BTW: meow?!!!

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Smartie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 04, 03:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really like Delilah. Innuendo has a lot of melancholy Songs on it, but Delilah is a fun song,Freddie wrote this one just for the cat he really loved. Its nice to see that although he was so ill at that point he still had his old humour. I think this song could also be on "Mr. Bad Guy" its simply Freddie...

Here we are...born to be kings..