Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Can they play "Killer Queen" live?

forum rss feed
Author

Live Killer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 127 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Oct 04, 08:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Killer Queen sounds quite awful on Live Killers.I think the band would have been much better live if there had been a choir singing in the background.Queen never cared about theyre image so that would not hade caused any harm!!!???

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 07 Oct 04, 08:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMO it souns great... It would have sound bad, however, with a choir on stage... Just an opinion- I like it rough...;)

juls user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 158 posts

Posted: 07 Oct 04, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On Live Killers? Oh I find it sounds quite good for a live concert IMO. Sure, not as good as the studio version.

Special thanks to Arif Mardin who arranged and produced some hot and spacey horns on "Staying Power" ;-)
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 07 Oct 04, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bah, choirs suck

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 08 Oct 04, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohemian had a good point which. The biggest problem is Rogers and Brians, voices on the background.The choirs on queen studio songs are maybe the best part´s.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 04, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, but if the song is live, why should they try to recreate it exactly as it was performed on record? If that was the case, audiences could just sit at home and listen to the records.

I think 'Killer Queen' should've been performed in its entirety, not as part of a medley - it was their biggest pre-'Bohemian Rhapsody' hit for crying out loud! Oh well. Can't turn back time.

The point is that I agree with Niek - choirs suck. It would've been horrible, and I think it sounds more interesting with three voices as opposed to thirty or whatever.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 04, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as in
"shall we go see dire straits live, or just by the cd?"

go deo na h√Čireann
don't_stop_me_now 9697 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 147 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 04, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it sounds pretty good, it is also on of the greatest songs they EVER made.

twowaymirrormountain user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 04, 21:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I generally like live versions of Killer Queen. My only complaint is that they always shorten it and put it in a medley. This shortening and medleyizing is my one major complaint about queen live recordings.

DK
jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 04, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes Medleys suck. And yes we can't go back. I know that Queen had a lot of songs that they wanted in their shows so maybe they should have had about fifty songs that they would draw off and not play the exact same sets night after night. Then each song could get the attention it deserves and every time a song was played it would be special.

Shake it Sugaree
twowaymirrormountain user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 08:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I understand their rationale for doing the medleys. They were trying to fit in as many of the hits as possible. But heck, you can't please everybody.

DK
LIVE_KILLER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a stupid question! It sounds great just as it is, but it could have been a bit longer....

A bored 15 year old thing from Finland. The "Love of my life" is QUEEN!

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you all are just so totally wrong!!!!

brian_may_wannabe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 10:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Never thought they would or wouldn't.

daniel.hughes

made_in_heaven (thats_what_they_day)
crowley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, if you want the full version just listen to it on "Sheer Heart Attack". I love Queen medley`s - there were very original and fascinating, for example I think "Bohemian Rhapsody" is better as a part of a medley, than when they play it back from the tape. It`s a concert - playback suxx!

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the choir thing is pointless - all of queen's songs included harmonies of varying depth - the fact that they went awol (due to live limitations) on stage - did not detract from them any - in fact the raw edge of the live arrangement and the adaptation required to get some of these multy-layered intricate masterpieces to the stage added new interest and life to the compositions.....
one final point for "Live Killer" did you EVER actually see them live? because you cannot make a comparison to what you see/hear on vhs/dvd/live cd to actually being there - and even moreso when the cd in question is live killers- this was an abomination of a live album - stripping 24 songs from over 50 live shows...and then "tarting it up" with countless studio overdubs

go deo na h√Čireann
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Live Killer wrote:

Queen never cared about theyre image so that would not hade caused any harm!!!???

Queen never cared about their image? There's bullocks if I've ever seen it.

As for the medley issue, I do like them. Yes, you lose out on part of a song, but at least you get more songs as a whole. Plus, they offer chances to segue from one song into another using unique musical hooks.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
LiveAidQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4489 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 19:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't like it.

Comprende muchacho.
crowley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 04, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of medleys what do you think about Seven Seas Of Rhye / Liar / Tear It Up medley from The Magic Tour? I woeuld love to hear the whole Liar insetad of shitty "Tear It Up". What do you think?

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 04, 10:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

crowley wrote:

Speaking of medleys what do you think about Seven Seas Of Rhye / Liar / Tear It Up medley from The Magic Tour? I woeuld love to hear the whole Liar insetad of shitty "Tear It Up". What do you think?

I think you should get a Works concert, because they don't include TiU in the medley, and they do a couple minutes or so of Liar. I recommend Tokyo 5-9-85 (not the official Tokyo show), if you can track it down. This would be a great choice for a torrent, if it hasn't been done yet. This show would hopefully silence at least some the anti-Works tour rhetoric we hear so often here.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca