Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Elton's dig backed

forum rss feed
Author

mr feller 7777 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 422 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 01:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger Taylor has supported Elton John in his scathing criticism of international pop singer Madonna's miming.
"It is about time somebody said it" Taylor said in Sydney yesterday of John's comments.

Mercury is a genius living in every pore
Shane Jazz user is on Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 03:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...and then Brian, on his soapbox, went against Elton's views...Stay tuned on this one....I doubt we'll see another performance of The Show Must Go On with Elton & Brian!

Man Made Paradise
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 04:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don`t support Elton, even though I consider Madonna is the most unfairly overrated arist ever

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Josuè user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1970 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 06:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Say what you want, but do you call 'singer' to somebody that doesn't sings in their concerts? Where's the sense then?

An interview? Oh, don't be ridiculous...
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't see Elton's comments. What did he say?

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 08:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elton is a joke now and his voice isn't what it was. He needs to retire and shut up.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 09:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That doesn't tell me what he said though.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20041005/od_afp/afplifestyle_britain_041005171315

:)

pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://eltonjohncentral.com/madonna.mp3

There's the clip.

Considering that this happens so shortly after the Taiwan incident and he has a new album out in a matter of weeks = publicity stunts.

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To put things straight: Madonna did indeed lipsinck some songs on her last tour. To be precise: 2 full songs and one partly. Ooooh... that's not too much, is it? I hate lipsinking on a live-show too. But when one does it a tiny little bit just to get some space for a dancing-act, I tend to forgive. I find ten minutes lipsincking in a one-hour-and-fifty-minute show absolutely forgivable considering what Madonna did during those songs: dance like a 15-year old (honestly!) and get a good smack-up by her dancers (dressed as military) to finally get tight down on an electric chair. She could have done those songs live, but went for the stage-show element. Which realy was worth it!
What I do agree on is that Madonna did not deserve an award for best female singer. Although I have to admit that one some songs I was truly astonished by her vocals. And I can assure you that I am VERY demanding! One has to do a realy good job for me to be astonished! (I was negatively in awe with another song though). Best female performance would have been more appropriate. But no need for Elton to bash Madonna for 2,5 songs of playback when there are numerous other 'artists' that do lipsinck entire shows.

Note: I am NOT a Madonna fan! I like her, she's a part of my youth and I respect her as an artist, but I am not a fan. I just went along to the concert with a couple of friends and I have to say that I saw one of the best live-acts of the past 15 years. Elton's just jealous! ;-)

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, Madonna's overrated for sure. I thought the comments were made because she lipsynced a show. But if it was just for a couple of songs which demanded theatrics and extra coordination, then fair enough. Sorry Rog and Elton, can't agree.

Peace,
Adam.

crowley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only one Madonna`s song I do like is "Frozen" - the rest, just leave it. I think that it`s not a loss that Brian is against Elton - we don`t need another crap like "The Show Must Go On" performed by Elton and Queen.

Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree to a point with Roger....there should be no dancing in Rock and Roll, however, Madonna does not do R&R. She's dance and pop. I don't really care for her but she is a well trained dancer and that's part of her act. I can't imagine the difficulty of dancing and singing nonstop. As for Elton John, that was just a low blow. Wrong time, wrong place.

Robin

Sebastian

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

With all respect to Elton, and Roger, and Brian, I think they just wanted to get their names in the news.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elton and Roger come off as whiny sour grapes. Brian, of course, is absolutely right.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
KillerWhiteQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 04, 21:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know I haven't posted much on the board, but I really felt obligated to respond to this topic. My two favorite musical artists are Madonna and Queen, and it's been that way steadily for years.

I had the pleasure of seeing Madonna's Reinvention Tour in NYC, and then winning VIP Pit tickets to see her again in NYC from MTV. I then saw the show again in Massachusetts. I then was lucky enough to find a DVD of the show I had won the tickets for on a bootleg DVD.

After seeing the concert live from just a few feet away, and then seeing it again on DVD. I decided to try to figure out what the hell Elton was talking about.

Now, what makes this difficult, is that, and I'm not saying this because I'm biased. But Madonna's voice was probably at it's best tour wise, for this tour. The setlist for Madonna's show was as follows:

1. The Beast Within: This is done on video projectors, and the audio is prerecorded on the video. Madonna is not on stage for this number.

2. Vogue: This is a hard one, because she sounds ALOT like she does on record. I believe there's a possibility she may be singing over a recording of herself for this number.

3. Nobody Knows Me: Sang live

4. Frozen: Sang live

5. American Life: Sang live

6. Express Yourself: Sang live

7. Burning Up: Sang live

8. Material Girl: Sang live

9. Hollywood: This is a dance sequence, using a prerecorded remix. Madonna is not on stage for this number.

10. Hanky Panky: Sang Live

11. Deeper & Deeper: Sang live

12. Die Another Day: On the DVD you can totally notice this song is being lip-synched For those of you who have seen the video, the concept is the same. Madonna is being pulled and pushed all around the stage while dancing. So I can understand why she felt it best to lip sync this number.

13. The Lament: Sang live.

14. Bedtime Stories: This is a dance sequence, using a prerecorded remix. Madonna is not on stage for this number.

15. Nothing Fails - Sang live

16. Don't Tell Me - Sang live

17. Like A Prayer - Sang live

18. Mother & Father - Sang live

19. Imagine - Sang live

20. Into The Groove - Sang live

21. Papa Don't Preach - Sang live

22. Crazy For You - Sang live

23. Music - Sang live

24. Holiday - Sang live

So for the exception of 2 dance sequences, 1 song, and 1 video. All the songs are sang live.

Elton in the past has made rude comments about Madonna. I don't understand what happened between the two of them. Madonna has said in the past that Elton was one of her favorite singers. And if you look at the pics below from The Brit Awards from 1995, things seemed to be fine back then.

http://www.madonnashots.com/brit22.jpg
http://www.madonnashots.com/brit20.jpg
http://www.madonnashots.com/brit28.jpg
http://www.madonnashots.com/brit26.jpg
http://www.madonnashots.com/brit27.jpg
http://www.madonnashots.com/brit13.jpg
http://www.madonnashots.com/brit12.jpg

Anyway, I don't understand why Elton has become a bitter queen in his old age...lol. But this picture below is hysterical, (I found it on a Madonna site), and I think it helps explain better...lol.

http://www.madonnatribe.com/images8/and_now_sing.jpg

I will find you, anywhere you go

Right until the ends of the earth

I'll get no sleep till I find you

To tell you when I've found you - I love you
crowley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 04, 04:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Big thanks for such a compex description. I guess the good days of Elton are gone and maybe that is th reason of his frustration?

Sebastian

Posted: 10 Oct 04, 06:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe Elton`s jealous because Madonna got to kiss Britney, while he just got to kiss George Michael

Brimon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 571 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 04, 06:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elton is just a big drama Queen, and because he was'nt nominated for best female singer, he decided to take out on Madge. Maybe Madge should have a go at Elton for pretending to have hair.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 04, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When is the last time Brian and Roger agreed on anything?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca