Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > solo collection was worth a release?

forum rss feed
Author

gabriel79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Oct 04, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i 've bougth it it 4 years ago and i'm quite disappointed 'cause the "new" stuff is shit(except new york and few others).i thought there were more finished songs and not this crap that freddie would have never put on a record(at least in these versions)

Posted: 14 Oct 04, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

maybe this topic had already been made.
if it's so,sorry

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 04, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Took you long enough to tell us you don't like it :-P

Having just gotten it myself, I know where you're coming from. I think a lot of the stuff was better off unheard :-P But there's enough good stuff to keep me happy, and the book itself is much nicer than I expected. Perhaps a little too large for comfortable viewing, but lots of interesting reading (or as the book itself might say "lot's") and amazing high quality photos.

Yeah, there's lots of pluses and minuses. It's nice to have as an archive if someone mentions a track, for reference.. but I'll probably end up making just a single disc of highlights for actual repeated listenings :)

Posted: 14 Oct 04, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i paid it 200euro.and 200 euro for an highlight cd,a well made book and two dvds are enough.
yellow bbreezes and other songs suck.i am a great freddie fan but this release disappointed me(and freddie,of course,is not to blame)

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 04, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

gabriel79 wrote:

i am a great freddie fan but this release disappointed me(and freddie,of course,is not to blame)
I dunno... He DID write them. ;)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 04, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just noticed they used the 1992 Hollywood masters of Barcelona & Great Pretender.. didn't remaster them at all. Interesting :-P

Hi Dan!

PabloArg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 127 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 04, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

gabriel79 wrote:

i paid it 200euro.and 200 euro for an highlight cd,a well made book and two dvds are enough.
yellow bbreezes and other songs suck.i am a great freddie fan but this release disappointed me(and freddie,of course,is not to blame)

I think, we all knew what we were buying. And if not, we'd have taken look at the tracklist in the Internet.

It was not a common release for common people, just some of us would enjoy it.
If Freddie would have recorded more tracks like New York and Love makin' love, it could have been released as a new album. But if you knew the set included 10 cds, is to expect that it would be filled with alternative versions, single versions, crappy demos....

Musically, I think the average quality is 5 or 6. But I wasn't expecting more, I don't regret buying it, I would recommend it to other Queen fan, and I would run to buy it if I wouldn't have it now.

sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 04, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it is one of the most beautiful item i have in my collection.don´t want to miss it.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 04, 03:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't believe what I'm reading!

The Solo Collection is awesome!!!!!!

I payed 200€ for mine and am completely satisfied. The only thing I'm dissapointed about are those tracks that remained unreleased (Ibex, Wreckage, Time live, Jackson...). Two more discs and the Collection would have been perfect.

For me the best demos are definitely Money Can't Buy Me Happiness, Love Makin' Love and Holding On.

It's also great to get early versions of released songs such as Love Me Like There's No Tomorrow (love the intro on the demos).

The book is very good and it's great that it also has high-quality photos.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 04, 04:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's the masterpiece of my collection too... The Rareties, the Untold Story, the Book and all the great music. What do you expect more???

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 04, 04:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Part of the point of it was to see some of the raw talent/work of Freddie Mercury, and that's where the rarities and demos come in.

As a representation of what his solo output encompassed, I think it's an excellent collection, notwithstanding the omissions already mentioned.

The presentation marks it out as distinguished and is where a fair bit of cost comes in. Face it, they could have bundled 10 CD cases in a cardboard box with a crap booklet and sent that out (and they would've charged a not dissimilar amount probably). But this way, you get a lot of interesting material, both finished and unfinished, in a stylish package.

Worth it in my opinion.

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter

Posted: 15 Oct 04, 05:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok,i dont regret my euro,i don't want my money back.i just wanted to say that maybe a lot of songs are "crap".the cds i like most are demos 1&2.freddie does amazing things with his voice

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 04, 06:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The truth is that whoever has chosen the demos for the box set, he was probably deaf. There are heaps of demos in the archives and those from the box set are among the worst, I'm sure.

Apart from that, the box set is perfect.

[ Wybren™ ] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 04, 06:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whisperer wrote:

I payed 200€ for mine and am completely satisfied. The only thing I'm dissapointed about are those tracks that remained unreleased (Ibex, Wreckage, Time live, Jackson...). Two more discs and the Collection would have been perfect.

For me the best demos are definitely Money Can't Buy Me Happiness, Love Makin' Love and Holding On.

It's also great to get early versions of released songs such as Love Me Like There's No Tomorrow (love the intro on the demos).

You're right. The FM Solo Collection is excellent! (I only miss some songs e.g. Freddie's Last performance and the Michael Jackson demos)

[ Ahoy' Rotterdam, April 26th ]|[ Rhein Energie Stadion Köln, Juli 6th ]|[ Gelredome Arnhem, July 10th ]
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 04, 09:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Scully wrote:

The truth is that whoever has chosen the demos for the box set, he was probably deaf. There are heaps of demos in the archives and those from the box set are among the worst, I'm sure.

Apart from that, the box set is perfect.

Heaps of FM solo archive material or queen archive material?

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 04, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Btw, is there a list of things left off the FM set that could've been included? I've only ever heard about alternate mixes/FM and MJ tracks and of course the Time performances. What else is missing?

Peace,
Adam.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 04, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why the hell did they even release a FM boxset, and why didn't they start off with a Queen box right away.

Freddie's solo songs already sound very thin and empty on Mr Bad Guy, and it's even worse on demos. Some of the unreleased stuff is very nice. For example the Barcelona stuff, and some songs from Mr Bad Guy (Love makin' Love and Mr Bad Guy) But as for the other 'new' songs...no wonder he didn't finish them.

I'm not a fan of Freddie's solo stuff or sound at all. I'm a fan of the Queen sound. But i'm not dissappointed with the boxset. The great package and book alone are worth buying

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 04, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tell you what gabriel79, tell me how much you want and i'll buy your FM boxset

i can't find one anywhere

go deo na hÉireann
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 04, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I paid 200 USD and have no regret. It's worth to buy if you're a real fan or a die-hard collector, maybe for an ordinary audience that's not so interesting. By the way, there are still a lot of stuff that is not included anywhere: Exercises In Free Love by Montserrat (well, no Freddie on it, but how about Horns of Doom? Besides Freddie wrote EIFL), I Was born to love you (very early demo) etc.

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 04, 01:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whisperer wrote:

I fully agree!