Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > B sides and unreleased stuff that I've heard

forum rss feed
Author

The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 01:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just found some of the Queen b-sides and demos that were mentioned in another thread here........and all I have to say is, mmmmmmmmmmmm! bloody nice....Silver Salmon for one....that song could have easily fit on Queen or Queen II, I think. And Dog With a Bone......the fan club track or whatever it was...nice bluesy jammy kinda thing....I guess it just all whets my appetite for the official anthology box set........(crossing fingers on that one)

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye
Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 01:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I personally love Self Made Man...It had the shades of lightness and heavyness that defined Queen. I Guess We're Falling Out has a nice tune to it, Dog With a Bone is indeed a fun little jam, and Feelings Feelings could've been a nice heavy number on Jazz to co-exist with Dead on Time...My Secret Fantasy and Robbery both showed promise, a shame they never got around to polishing them off...I agree, the box set, with these songs in far better audio quality, and hopefully other demos which I haven't heard (Face it Alone, Friends in Pain, etc.), should be a real gem.

Man Made Paradise
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 01:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess I'm the odd duck here, but most of the unreleased stuff that I have heard does not impress me. Maybe it's because the material is mostly unfinished, and thus lacking the full Queen sound, but I rarely listen to tracks like Feelings, Silver Salmon, I Guess We're Falling Out, etc.

In recent years, I've had more fun "discovering" some album tracks, like Dead On Time or Tenement Funster. Maybe if Bri/Rog tried to complete a couple unreleased tracks for a new album/boxset/compilation, I'd get excited.

DJ's the man we love the most
Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 02:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I still have yet to hear the Queen version of Polar Bear. I have heard good things about it. At least that will have the full, well rounded, although early, Queen sound, whereas the other demos do sound so rough.

Man Made Paradise
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 07:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A New Life Is Born is very good (something what became intro to Breakthru), I Guess We're Falling Out too. And there are brilliant demos of well-known tracks, especially The Invisible Man. Actually, they all are great, because gives you something very new and 'what-you-are-not-awaiting-for'. The same is about few 12" versions. But when I for the first time heard 'Mother Love' demo it was quite uncommon and boring - snippets from the original version and some Freddie's vocal ad-libs and studio outtakes in crazy order.

Chaka user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 07:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the "Mother Love" demo that circulates on the hub is a pretty poor fake. There's a few of them out there but that's one of the worst.

Plengel user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2119 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to say that "Two Worlds Apart" is by far my favorite unreleased song/demo. A wonderful 10 minute long, "It's A Hard Life"-like track!

You've never seen nothing like it, no never in your life. Like going up to heaven and then coming back alive.

http://plengelqueentrader.tripod.com
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not this again.

Flo Joe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 164 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really like tracks like Silver Salmon, a new
life is born or Feel like! I wished they would
have finished more tracks and used them as b-sides
or what ever...a fineshed version of Robbery
would be very cool! Waiting for the box sets...

King Freddie still rules