Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Mr Bad Guy

forum rss feed
Author

trustno1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 05:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone else agree with me that Mr Bad Guy is absolutely terrible? I can't figure out if it's down to Freddie's dodgy songwriting or Mack's euro-pop production. I think a bit of both. It certainly does feel very 'thin' texture-wise, and some of the songs are just awful (My Kind of Lover, Fooling Around, etc.)

Probably Freddie at his technical best in terms of vocals, tho. Not swamped in all that reverb (a la Innuendo). Nice and crisp. Lovely!

Little_Queenie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 558 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

trustno1 wrote:

Does anyone else agree with me that Mr Bad Guy is absolutely terrible? I can't figure out if it's down to Freddie's dodgy songwriting or Mack's euro-pop production. I think a bit of both. It certainly does feel very 'thin' texture-wise, and some of the songs are just awful (My Kind of Lover, Fooling Around, etc.)

Probably Freddie at his technical best in terms of vocals, tho. Not swamped in all that reverb (a la Innuendo). Nice and crisp. Lovely!

I don't agree it's terrible, actually I like it pretty much. Mr. Bad Guy, Your Kind Of Lover, There Must Be More To Life Than This etc. Good songs.

Give me a good guitar, and you can say that my hair's a disgrace, oh, just find me an open car - I'll make the speed of light out of this place...
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 05:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah it sucks. 2 or 3 good songs. The rest sucks

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
gabriel79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i dont't think it sucks.if you compare it with a 70s queen album it sucks but it contains that kind of songs that freddie used to write in the 80s.i think it sound too "dance"

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 10:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think it's terrible, it's just missing something. Some songs are great, but others are too dancey for my liking.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 10:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love it! Call me a 'stepford'(oooooh scaaaaaary) if you want, But I like all of the songs on the album.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
egret user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 109 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like it, actually love it, for its mix of happy music and sad lyrics. It's great in a campy sort of way. I've chosen to believe that was an intentional quality. It's also really really great as background music for doing housework - high energy, cheerful, singalong stuff.

I've heard the acoustic cover of "Mr. Bad Guy" performed by Gene Cawley that is referenced here:
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/news_view.aspx?news_id=1797

I heard him do it at a reading, so I don't know what the download version sounds like, but the acoustic version is interesting. "Mr. Bad Guy" without the humorous orchestral effects is a dirge of self-pity. It changed my perception of the song.

--Egret

Sonia Doris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6254 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i can´t say it´s crap... but on a scale of 1 to 10, i´d give it a 3...mainly because of freddie (2 credits for the composer, 1 for the songs).
but, compared to normal crap - on the same scale, it would climb up to 5, i guess...
i would certainly prefer tmotbq to mrbguy...

2+2=5
toodey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its one of my favourite songs..

Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 12:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its absolutely terrible but the vocals are nice crisp and lovely???? (eh??)

It was what Freddie wanted to do, its not bad by any means, its just not what Queen fans were used to, and its still better than the shit we get thrown at us these days.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Dubroc user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dubroc
Bohemian: 522 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used to think the Mr.Bad Guy songs were average.
Nothing special.
Untill I got the FM box and I listened to the tracks again. The demo's and other recordings like the Instrumentals did shine a different on it.
Now I love the songs!
There Must Be More To Life Than This is one of my fav.

We must all see to believe...
gabriel79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crazy_Little_Thing_Called_Sonia wrote:

i can´t say it´s crap... but on a scale of 1 to 10, i´d give it a 3...mainly because of freddie (2 credits for the composer, 1 for the songs).
but, compared to normal crap - on the same scale, it would climb up to 5, i guess...
i would certainly prefer tmotbq to mrbguy...

what is "tmotbq"?

Rotwang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 296 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Bad Guy is bad. It sounds like Freddie went in the studio with a hand held keyboard and a piano and made an album. It kind of makes you wonder how much the Queen sound comes from Brian. Take Made in Heaven from the MIH album. That is the way that song should have sounded. I just think Freddie didn' take the time to make a high quality album. He said himself he was rushed because of the Queen album and tour. Roger's ealy solo albums were cheesy as well.

"You Can Be Anything You Want To Be"
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't understand when someone says Mr Bad Guy, Hot Space, Flash Gordon are crap... Hey, people, would you like if Queen'd make about 50 like Queen II albums? Let's listen to some other bands who's doing the same stuff through the years and can't stop! Hot Space wasn't the best album, but it was different to what they did before and after and you have something to choose! Same about Mr Bad Guy - it's Freddie's solo album and he did it in the way he wanted. Can you imagine that some non-Queen fans bought it and enjoyed? I can and I know such guys!

Perry user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 136 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe 'tmotbq' stands for The March of The Black Queen, a song from Queen II.

Yeah I like some of the tracks, I personally prefer the 'Freddie Mercury Album' but thats just my opinion.

-Perry
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 15:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm in the middle on this one. I think most of the songs are great, but do suffer from weak arrangements, and the synthesizer work really sounds dated and cheesy.

I can't help but enjoy a song like the title track.. it's incredibly catchy and the intro is fab. I think not only Queen's Made In Heaven album, but also some of the 1992 remixes prove that the songs themselves are really nice ideas... just not fully realized at the time.

Giacco 73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Funster wrote:

I can't understand when someone says Mr Bad Guy, Hot Space, Flash Gordon are crap... Hey, people, would you like if Queen'd make about 50 like Queen II albums? Let's listen to some other bands who's doing the same stuff through the years and can't stop! Hot Space wasn't the best album, but it was different to what they did before and after and you have something to choose! Same about Mr Bad Guy - it's Freddie's solo album and he did it in the way he wanted. Can you imagine that some non-Queen fans bought it and enjoyed? I can and I know such guys!

Totally agree.
I really love Mr Bad Guy!
Wonderful songs and amazing vocals,maybe Freddie at his best.Pure Freddie!

Freddie Mercury.

A wonderful human being and simply the greatest singer,performer and composer of our times.
LiveAidQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4489 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 18:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's good.

Comprende muchacho.
crowley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 04, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Mr Bad Guy" is quite good - despite "There Must Be More To Life Than This", which I hate and the starnge version of "Living On My Own" (I prefer the radio version). Oh and "I Was Born To Love You" is better in Queen version. Rest is OK. You must remember that Freddie`s solo carrier was everything he could have done with Queen but he wouldn`t like them to do it (because they were a live rocking band and in the 80s Freddie was very interested in dance pop music, look on his suit from the videoclip "I Was Born o Love You" pure 80s).

BTW I`m not f*cking Stepford :)

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 04, 09:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I feel the same as DF. Some good songs on the album - just weak in those mentioned areas. And of course some songs shine, given the right arrangements. Just look at the MIH revisited tracks.

Peace,
Adam.