Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Back Chat

forum rss feed
Author

EddieVanHalen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was wondering if anyone and JSS in particular could tell me if the guitar solo in Back Chat on the hot space album was taken from the Back Chat BBC Sessions take?
Because it sounds very similar apart from the backing track that you can hear play along during the guitar solo in the BBC Sessions version.
Also the words that Freddie says right before the guitar solo starts are similar to those of the BBC session version.
Hopefully JSS could tell us something more about this and maybe something about how the Hot Space album was recorded and how many songs were omitted from the album.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is no BBC version of Back Chat

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Hot SPace demo's that leaked out last year I mean, they were called BBC Sessions on this board.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Then they calls it incorrect, because last Queen BBC session was at 1977, I think.
About Back Chat - it could be called as demo, but that's not totally demo - that's another version. It has full structure of song and recorded at all. When song was mixed they just choose the best of already recorded stuff and made song. So solo can be similar. Demos are tracks from the Miracle sessions - they contains different lyrics, tempos, or just rhytm-section (bass, drums and synth) and nothing more. Listen to the FM Box Set - there is a lot of tracks musically totally similar to album versions, but vocal parts are different, so everything is possible and some parts from demos can be heard on their albums.

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Funster wrote:

Then they calls it incorrect, because last Queen BBC session was at 1977, I think.
About Back Chat - it could be called as demo, but that's not totally demo - that's another version. It has full structure of song and recorded at all. When song was mixed they just choose the best of already recorded stuff and made song. So solo can be similar. Demos are tracks from the Miracle sessions - they contains different lyrics, tempos, or just rhytm-section (bass, drums and synth) and nothing more. Listen to the FM Box Set - there is a lot of tracks musically totally similar to album versions, but vocal parts are different, so everything is possible and some parts from demos can be heard on their albums.

Owke I know what you mean, but what I am really interested in is if someone could actually confirm that the guitar solo used on the album is the one from the alternative take.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 16:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Hot Space BBC session is just a Queenzone insiders joke. Someone made it up a few years ago, and it's still a favourite :)

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm claiming the credit for that one.

Posted: 18 Oct 04, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok but still no one that has answered my questions so far.
JSS where are youuuuuuuu :-).

Posted: 19 Oct 04, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bump

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 04, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EddieVanHalen: Thanks for the faith - I will answer to the best of my ability. As to the backwards guitar solo - I THINK you are correct - but better ask Seb - as he knows more about that than I do.

However, (in the spirit of genuine friendship - and NOT sarcasm) now that Greg Brooks has joined the 'zone - he would be a much better source than I, and I too would be interested in his reply.

As to what "I" know about "Hot Space" - try this list below...

1982: Hot Space

Staying Power
Album Version Hot Space: EMI CDP 7 46215 2
US 12" Promo Extended Remix Elektra 0-67854
Demo Version: 27.1.1982 Unreleased: Home Mini-Disc

Dancer
Lammey Mix ISDN: Download

Backchat
7" Edit Remix EMI 5325
12" Extended Remix EMI 12 EMI 5325
US 12” Promo Remix
Demo Version Unreleased: Home Mini-Disc
Promotional Video Unreleased: Home Video
Original Demo: Woolly Hat Unreleased: 2000 IQFC Convention

Body Language
1991 Susan Rogers Remix Hot Space: US 1991 Hollywood HR-61038-2
Promotional Video Sexy Shorts: VHS PMI CMV 1088

Action This Day
Buczko Night Mix ISDN: Download

Put Out The Fire
Starlicks Video Edit Starlicks Video

Life Is Real
Demo Version: 7.2.1982 Unreleased: Home Mini-Disc

Calling All Girls
Promotional Video Unreleased: Home Video

Las Palabras De Amor
10" Acetate Mix 2 Remix Version Unreleased: Home Acetate
Top Of The Pops BBC TV Video Greatest Flix III

Cool Cat
David Bowie Acetate Ultimate Collection: Royalty Music RMCD 001
Sulley ’99 Remix ISDN: Download

Under Pressure
Greatest Hits II Edit Greatest Hits II: Parlophone CDP 79 7971 2
Classic Queen Edit Hollywood HR-61311-2
Karaoke Instrumental Japan Toshiba EMI TOLW - 3249.50
KEWB FM US Radio Unreleased: Home Mini-Disc
1999 Rah Mix Album Greatest Hits III
1999 Rah Mix Video Greatest Flix III
1999 Rah Mix Radio Edit CD QUEENS 28
1999 Mike Spencer Mix CD QUEENS 28
1999 Knebworth “Live” Mix CD QUEENS 28
1999 12” Promo Club 2000 Mix
Original Demo: Feel Like 5:00 Unreleased: Home Mini-Disc
Robertson Experimental Sonix Mix ISDN: Download
Promotional Video Greatest Flix I & II: Pioneer PLMPD 01171

Soul Brother
Album Version UK 3" CDS QUECD 9 (Under Pressure)
US CDS Swapped Stereo Intro Heaven For Everyone

Whipping Boy Unreleased:

Brian May: Lullabies With A Difference
Recorded 1982/ Released 1998
Recorded 1982 during Queen’s Hot Space sessions. Released 1998 Lullabies With A Difference CD
My Boy
Album Version

Ofcourse the videos are now commercially available as part of the Video - GHII, and I have also omited demo tracks which I believe began life as "Hot Space" sessions - but ended up on other albums like "Made In Heaven" or whatever. I have only used fan remixes "I" thought meritworthy (my choice!).

However, I again stress, that for a more accurate and official version - try asking Greg.

PS: Some have argued that "Soul Brother" is NOT part of the "Hot Space" ouvre. I include it here for two reasons - first) it is the B-side to "Under Pressure" - second) It includes the lyric "under pressure" in the chorus. Now as "Soul Brother" was supposed to be a "tribute&q

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."

Posted: 19 Oct 04, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you very much JSS, I always enjoy reading your very informative posts.

BTW, don't you all agree that topics like this one are far much better than the stupid ones about freddie being still alive or roger and brian being gay?

PS: are you sure that GB is the real Greg Brooks?

John S Stuart

Posted: 19 Oct 04, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EddieVanHalen: Glad to help out when I can. Obviously someone, somewhere, will take the time to complain - but in the abscence of any official info - it's the best I (you/we) have.

As for Greg: Yes, he is for real. Pity he didn't join in on this thread.

Posted: 19 Oct 04, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks JSS, I have one little question about your post, what do you mean by "backwards guitarsolo"? Obviously I know what you mean by the word backwords, but what do you mean by it in this context?

John S Stuart

Posted: 19 Oct 04, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EddieVanH: I meant the guitar solo in Back Chat. From memory, I thought this was (partially) recorded backwards - but I would need to consult the CD to make sure.

To disinformation intended! ;-)

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 04, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very nice list, indeed, John. Although I seem to recall that 'Back Chat's original working title was 'Wooly Hat', not 'Body Language'. I might be wrong, though.

I particularly enjoy reading working titles of original songs - I get a big kick out of them, usually because they're either nonsensical or so much better than the eventual title! Anywho, keep the information coming, John - contrary to Greg's barbs, there are still people here who appreciate you. Myself being one of them.

EDIT: and I can't help but wonder as to the 'Whipping Boy' unreleased thing there. What does that mean?

And I could've sworn that an unreleased version of 'There Must Be More To Life Than This' was recorded for Hot Space, though that's more of a rumor than anything.

Either way, it's nice to finally have an intelligent conversation again on this messageboard!

juls user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 158 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 04, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The beginning of the solo is faded in, I guess it is done with the volume knob, not backwards. I havent listened to the song for a while, but I think it is just faded in per volume pedal or knob.

Special thanks to Arif Mardin who arranged and produced some hot and spacey horns on "Staying Power" ;-)
John S Stuart

Posted: 19 Oct 04, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester: "...I seem to recall that 'Back Chat's original working title was 'Wooly Hat', not 'Body Language'.

Yes, that is correct. It was a "cut and paste edit" mistake, but on my original notes - they too state that "Backchat" was "Wooly Hat". I have edited the above post accordingly.

Lester: "...an unreleased version of 'There Must Be More To Life Than This' was recorded for "Hot Space", though that's more of a rumor than anything".

I was lead to believe that "There Must Be More To Life Than This" (especially the MJ/Freddie duet) was recorded around about the time of "The Works".
Certainly, it would have been recorded between "Hot Space" and "The Works", so either is possible.

Without access to the original sessions, I have this track in my "Works" listings - simply because it was supposed to be replaced at the last minute by "Is This The World We Created?". Now granted, this does not exclude "There Must Be More..." as an earlier recording, but as it was replaced by another "Works" track, that is where I keep it.

PS: Also remember it eventually appeared on Freddie's solo album. I don't think Freddie would have invested in a song as old as "Hot Space" - do you? (Serious question!)

Posted: 19 Oct 04, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's very likely, though, in relation to Freddie reusing such an old song. To paraphrase him, he once said that if he has belief in a song, he'll keep at it until he's pleased with it - so maybe the band tried to record the song, but it wasn't to his satisfaction. Keep in mind, too, that it could've possibly been recorded in 1982, and the sessions started for his solo album the next year.

What's even more likely is that it was originally written for Hot Space, but not recorded - much like Sheer Heart Attack in 1974 but kept off an album until 1977.

Of course, I'm not saying it exists, because I haven't heard it, but maybe the germ of an idea started during the Hot Space sessions and was worked more fully for The Works.

John S Stuart

Posted: 19 Oct 04, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester: Very possible on all accounts - but until that "germ" is confirmed - I prefer "The Works" theory. (Simply because I can "kind" of place/date the Michael Jackson/ Freddie Mercury version).

But I agree that the track could have been a germ of an idea before this, and that it could have been recorded pre/early "Works". However, when I listen to the FM/MJ duet (Sorry - am I allowed to say that?) - it seems that they are both working through the track, which kind of negates the earlier germ idea - or does it? (Another serious question!)

Posted: 19 Oct 04, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's sort of what I think, too, as I have heard the MJ/FM duet (taboo!!), and while the melody and first verse appears to have been written, there doesn't seem to be very much else.

However, that's only what I'd heard, but with the assistance of logical discussion, it helps discredit rumor from fact.

Now, what're your thoughts on The Game sessions! :)