Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 100 bootlegs- well....?

forum rss feed
Author

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

See it for yourselfs...
http://www.queen-fip.com/index2.php?section=1

Just one problem- I don't have a fucking credit card...!!! And one more thing- they ain't soundboards, are they...?

akan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 10:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

if you listen to the 'Life is real' bootleg the sound quality is the same as the gypsy eye realise and if you see the sapporo '79 tracklist you notice that it is the same as the factory-pressed bootleg, so one question:will they make avalaible for download the soundborad recordings or the bootlegs that we already know?could some buy them and tell us what difference there are between these donwloadble concerts and the bootlegs that are already on internet?if they upload the factory-pressed bootleg this download project will be useless

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think those ARE the best avaliable BOOTLEGS that we know, not soundboards...

akan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

100 best bootlegs???i don't think that meadowlands '82 is one of the 100 best queen bootlegs, and what about sapporo '79?i think it is one of the 'worst' concerts of '79 (despite i think all the concert in '79 were great!)

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 10:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dunno if I'll be purchasing any of these.

It seems a little bit pointless to do this, if they're not gonna offer anything more than what is widely available to most fans free of charge through torrents/hubs/peer-to-peer networks etc.

£9.99 is only slightly cheaper (isn't it?) than what you'd pay at a record fair for the same product which is already burned onto CD and comes with appropriate packaging, so I don't really see how this is beating the bootleggers at their own game.

Didn't they originally announce that artwork would be available for download as well? I don't see any mention of that, although I suppose it may only be mentioned once you actually get to the download after having paid for it.

Still, I'm bloody surprised this venture has actually come to fruition.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
willem-jan 8923 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed, these soundclips don't sound like soundboard at all!
Just the bootlegs we've allready got, however, now it's illegal to have them in the hub, because they ARE available in a legal way. Bollocks to that.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is very hard to believe - but from QOL:

"Queen Online.com proposes to offer the very best of the bootlegs... With expert advice from three acknowledged experts on Queen bootlegs; Frank Hazenberg, Andreas Voigts, Frank Palstra..."

These are NOT soundboards - but bootlegs - it is exactly as it says on the tin.

I know this is hypocritical as I have forked out a fortune in bootlegs - but in their favour, some of these are very nice artifacts - and also they were the best (if not only) audio versions available.

Now some will tell you that the monies from these discs go to pay the IRA or some other national terrorist front. In my experience, the money usually ended up in the pocket of some spotty-faced kid from Middlesex.

On the otherhand: The members of Queen (Freddie, Roger, Brian & John) are in the Guiness Book Of Records as the UK's HIGHEST paid company directors. They have access to (According to GB & Ratty) soundboards of ALL their concerts. Therefore, I would expect access to these masters NOT some 3rd rate copy.

Forgetting that the same stuff is P2P (or swappsies) FREE, where will this lead to? Queen charging us to vist sites like Rein's because he has unearthed an alternative "Seven Seas Of Rhye" video?

It's sad, it's all very sad. It is like some tacky jumble sale. This is like watching the decline of some great footballer like Gazza or George Best as they fall down the leagues and end up getting a game for the local "Star and Anchor" pub challenge cup final. Can't they see that they are losing respect quicker than a very, very fast thing - and boy is that quick! (Perhaps the Butlin's weekend is closer than we think fatty?).

I could understand if they were free (like some otherbands who have uploaded) but charging £10.00 per pop - greedy b*stards!

Personally, I think I'll stick with the spotty kid - at least my money might pay for his acne cream.

PS: That is £1000 for the complete set. What next - bulk discounts?

PPS: Isn't it strange that the biggest known queen bootleggers have become "acknowledged experts"?

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

willem-jan wrote:

now it's illegal to have them in the hub, because they ARE available in a legal way. Bollocks to that.

lol... yeah...

If Sapporo 79 is the "best of the best", then I don't know what Hammersmith 75 is anymore.

http://www.7digital.com/shops/productDetail.aspx?shop=14&product=1451&sid=2624

Here's the proper link for Osaka 85. The webmaster needs to fix that one up.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Thomas Tønnesen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This sounds strange !!!!

Queen online releasing bootlegs...... Don't they have better things to do..... It sounds as a stupid joke.

Carrots Of The Piratebean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 213 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now i've heard it all - a band selling bootlegs obtained from bootleggers who just "might" have been the ones to have "ripped them off" in the first place...

I think I smell a huge rat here.

Bohardy wrote:

£9.99 is only slightly cheaper (isn't it?) than what you'd pay at a record fair for the same product which is already burned onto CD and comes with appropriate packaging, so I don't really see how this is beating the bootleggers at their own game.

Coudnt agree more...

I'm saying nothing.....

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pretty pointles UNLESS they'll offer sth really, really rare...

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Something really really rare isn't likely to be in the hypothetical Top 100 Bootlegs though, is it?

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

I could understand if they were free (like some otherbands who have uploaded) but charging £10.00 per pop - greedy b*stards!
Metallica is "selling" soundboards from all the gigs from the entire tour- and cheaper... And not in mp3 but also in flac... Ah well, that's what you get when you expect the step in the right direction from QP or QOL...

Bohardy wrote:

Something really really rare isn't likely to be in the hypothetical Top 100 Bootlegs though, is it?
Yeah, but also there aren't 100 tapes with really good quality, are they? 20-30-40- yes, sure- in EX or V.GOOD quality- but what than...? GOOD-...? Is this the the crème de la crème...?

And a bit from Greg's note...:
" The Queen audio archive contains many complete official concert recordings which all may one day see the light of day"
I doubt they'll see the light of day- there was a great chance to "sell" those that definitely aren't going to be released for some reasons OR even those that were never bootleged... What's the expresson?- scrapping the barrel...?

it could have been so nice- how about making avaliable those gigs that hasn't been bootleged...? I'm sure we all know those legendary gigs- hammersmith'79, Houston'77, Sao Paulo'81 to name just few, but I'm absolutely sure there were some gigs with Queen in top form, maybe actually even better than those mentioned BUT we don't know them as they have never been bootleged... Suddenly, the whole thing would be extremely attractive for everybody, even the serious collectors who seem to have almost all there is... Yet again- huge disappointment... God, I really need this Milton Keynes DVD fast to regain any respect to QP...

Plengel user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2119 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Strange, the soundclip of the "Jazz Final" bootleg sounds worse than the bootleg I have of that show.

Also there is a better version of the Osaka '85 show out there. Queenonline uses the "Last Stand" bootleg, while about a year ago, the Japanese "Kirin Sound Together" label released a bootleg of that show with even better sound. Only the last few tracks were from the "Last Stand" bootleg.

You've never seen nothing like it, no never in your life. Like going up to heaven and then coming back alive.

http://plengelqueentrader.tripod.com
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think it's going to be very successful really. The U.S. price for these 'albums' is roughly $18.25... that's a lot of money for an audience recording that someone can easily get for free.

Fortunately I'm not very interested in live stuff so they ain't gonna sucker me in on this ;)

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hell it is a lot!!!
I live in London- fine, 10 quid isn't a lot for me- mere hour of my work... BUT most of my friends live outside UK... Comparison- my father, 30 years in the Polish army, very high rank- earns around 350 pounds... per month... Fans, who are usually younger earn less or don't even have a job yet (most of them are still students)- they're not going to buy bloody thing for tenner if they can/could downloaded it from hub/queenzone etc for free... soundboards would be worth it- YES!!!! But this is a freaking joke...

FEEL THE FORCE 2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WE WANT REALLY QUEEN RARITIES NOWWWWWWWW¡¡¡¡¡¡
It´s a joke to pay 9´99 pounds for an easy queen bootleg concert, not soundboard, not cd, not arwork, nothing.

REAL ZARAGOZA
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, this step in the right direction seems quite misguided, eh? Soundboards and non-mp3 would be far more interesting.

The only good thing about this is that it takes money away from the bad bootleggers. As for the good...well, that's another story.

Peace,
Adam.

EDIT: Are these the exact same sounding bootlegs, i.e. has the sound been changed in any way? Have they tried to clean them up?

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Are these the exact same sounding bootlegs, i.e. has the sound been changed in any way? Have they tried to clean them up?
Seems like, hence the disppointment...

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 04, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Two thoughts:

First: Plengel - "the soundclip... sounds worse than the bootleg I have... there is a better version of the Osaka '85 show... Queenonline uses the "Last Stand" bootleg, while... the Japanese... released a bootleg... with even better sound."

This is really very, very bizarre because this show was OFFICIALLY released in Japan as a laser disc, and is easilly available in the UK. That means that they are selling us a product which is an inferior version to the commercially available product - and charging us for it! In effect they are ripping themselves off - and breaching their own copyrights - W E I R D!!!

Second: Nice to see that Roger has stuck to his own very high standards, Remember this is the same guy who wanted to withdraw "Live Killers" because it was too raw and in his own words "sounded like...!", yet these boots are going to make "Live Killers" sound angelic!

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."