Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Let's boycott the 100 bootlegs

forum rss feed
Author

Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Oct 04, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If no-one buys those concerts, MAYBE QP will have to at least consider releasing all the soundboard recordings. There are so many concerts we haven't yet heard in their archives!

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 23 Oct 04, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that's pretty much already happening, based on comments.. but it can't hurt to discourage people from wasting their time and money I suppose. I'm in! Or out, depending on how you look at it. :)

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 23 Oct 04, 17:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm in. Enough of the same audience recordings that can be obtained elsewhere for free. That isn't even the best source of Osaka 85. And surely there must be a lower gen NJ 82 out there.

Bring on the unreleased soundboards.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
agneepath! 11994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1132 posts

Posted: 23 Oct 04, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think there is a need for a boycott - anyone who sensible won't go anywhere near them.

Rich Tea user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 23 Oct 04, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lets change the name of this site to ANTI-QUEENZONE!!

Its a matter of choice and I won't be buying them all but boycott that really is pathetic! They will only release live gigs on cd that they feel are worthy such as Milton Keynes/Wembley if you bothered to read justins Q&A about On Fire at the bowl you will know they actually DON'T own soundboard recordings to all there gigs!

I really am getting disillousioned by some of the so called Queen fans posting here! Why do some people think they are so fucking clever!!

Shadow boxing with yourself just seems to get you no where!
joeyjojo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 396 posts

Posted: 23 Oct 04, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It would seem to me that people interested in bootlegs would aready have gotten them in the 15+ years since Queen last toured. The general public probably isn't inerested in crappy sounding audience recordings either. So, it seems like a product without a market.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 23 Oct 04, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There seems to be a de facto boycott going on already.

What we can watch for is how long the project goes on, ie will they actually release 100 boots or will it quietly go away in a few months.

DJ's the man we love the most
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 23 Oct 04, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rich Tea wrote:

I really am getting disillousioned by some of the so called Queen fans posting here! Why do some people think they are so fucking clever!!

You are free to leave.

Rich Tea user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 23 Oct 04, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No Lester I think I will stay just to Piss You Off!! ha ha ha

Trouble is you see I think you will get in a tiz about all this and it will play on your mind where as thankfully I have a life!!

Shadow boxing with yourself just seems to get you no where!
Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 488 posts

Posted: 23 Oct 04, 22:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't see why they're doing this. It's not like they have to remaster and mix the soundboard recordings before releasing them online. I think most fans would be delighted to pay 6 pounds sterling for a rough sounding soundboard recording of vintage queen shows.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 23 Oct 04, 22:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No need to boycott if no-one wants to buy them! :)

Peace,
Adam.

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 04, 00:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not boycotting per say; I just don't have the money! Anyway, I think the idea's great in theory, but just wasn't released in the right way, which will most likely result in not so amazing sales.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 04, 01:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Richard Orchard wrote:

According to the 7 digital chart the bootlegs are doing OK.

Yes, except the one that they screwed up the link for.

But will it continue after everyone hears what they sound like?

DJ's the man we love the most
j0ck3 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 03:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are there any special concerts we would like to have? I would like Gothenburg '82. It doesn't exist as audience recording. It is the first concert during Hot Space Tour.

It's things like that we want, concerts we don't have or better quality ones of crappy ones. I want to know how loud the Leiden audience are for example.

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 03:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"if you bothered to read justins Q&A about On Fire at the bowl you will know they actually DON'T own soundboard recordings to all there gigs!"

Of course. They don't own soundboard recordings to all their gigs, they only own soundboard recordings to all their gigs since 1975 (or so). What's the fucking difference? Doesn't matter if they have 550 or 700 soundboard recordings. Even releasing 10 of them would be fat more useful than this '100 bootlegs' crap.

Libor2 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Libor2
Bohemian: 661 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 05:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Scully wrote:

Of course. They don't own soundboard recordings to all their gigs, they only own soundboard recordings to all their gigs since 1975 (or so). What's the fucking difference? Doesn't matter if they have 550 or 700 soundboard recordings. Even releasing 10 of them would be fat more useful than this '100 bootlegs' crap.

Very good said Martin. If they put out some good soundboard gigs (as you said - maybe 10 really good ones from different tours) for reasonable price (in such situation 5$ or maybe even more seems OK for me), I'd really buy it. Unfortunatelly, it didn't start oh so well.

But now it's time to be gone - forever...
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 08:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rich Tea wrote:

Lets change the name of this site to ANTI-QUEENZONE!!

Its a matter of choice and I won't be buying them all but boycott that really is pathetic! They will only release live gigs on cd that they feel are worthy such as Milton Keynes/Wembley if you bothered to read justins Q&A about On Fire at the bowl you will know they actually DON'T own soundboard recordings to all there gigs!

Fucking stepford...

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 09:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The whole releasing soundboards idea is one of a dreamer. It can't happen without revisiting and remixing. And there's just too much going on to ask for more than 2-3.

Don't buy these bootlegs and be done. And forward your soundboards idea to Brian's site in great numbers. When he reads their dismay, he'll at least acknowledge it. Just don't expect the stars.

Peace,
Adam.

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 10:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sadly, "US" boycotting the 100 bootlegs thing won't make a blind bit of difference.

This WILL get Queen a huge ammount of publicity within the business as a whole - i would imagine that all the large music magazines will carry a general news item about the fact that the band are doing something to actively hurt the bootleggers. This will then carry through onto articles regarding the fact that the BPI and RIAA are working together with bands to "destroy the virus of bootlegging".

This will then be a huge feather in the cap for EMI who are clearly driving the boat here.

As a result, there will be hundreds of thousands of downloads from people that are simply casual; music fans that fancy a bit of live Queen on their PC's.

Does anyone really believe that this has been done in response to overwhealming demand from "the fans"? Surely "the fan's" demand would have been for master tapes of live shows to be available for download, rather than for versions of boots that they already own?

Benn
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 04, 02:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Btw. I paid $10 for downloading a Metallica concert in MP3. Rough soundboard - no remixing, no remastering. I was less than impressed by the quality but it was still better than in case of most bootlegs. So I would for sure pay more for any Queen bootleg in such a format.

Maybe even better than releasing a lot of rough soundboard recordings would be taking two soundboard recordings from each tour and remastering them (and selling for $20 per concert). But that's too much work for them, obviously...