Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Milton Keynes concert and extra's

forum rss feed
Author

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Oct 04, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the MK '82 concert is good but certainly not the best Queen produced. They had better realeased the full Japan 82 concert.Much better!

I think also the disc two section with the "highlights of concerts" are not the best they have in the archives.

Queenconcerts.com told all concerts of 82 ( Hot Space tour) were filmed so now i'm looking to a un-restored performance of Queen in Vienna. shit material

What do you guys think?

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
Thomas Tønnesen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 04, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well.... the Japan 82 one is not so good... So uninspiring ...

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 04, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Read Simon Lupton's comments about what's available. Good info on setting things straight.

http://www.queenonline.com/index2.php?section=3&feature=9

Peace,
Adam.

Shadysenator RHYE user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 179 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 04, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No no no not all Hot space shows were recorded!!!! Only a few of them. The story of all HS show were recorded on film is what P. freestone wrote in his book , but that's not true the shows recorded were these:
MK
Leiden (second night)
Brussel (part of)
Frankfurt
Vienna (AOBTD - GSTQ)
Tokyo
LA (partly)

Come on Queen would not give permission to all sorts of tv stations to record their show!

And they surely would not film all there own shows , there would be so much footage which will never be used, und despite that it's really expensive to record a conecrt!!!

Hope this will help your answer.

hi kya
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 04, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always felt Leeds was recorded? no? Aint it true Brain has his own copy on tape or so on that show? (Audio)

from that link ..

Our film researcher, Keith, contacted dozens of TV stations to see if they had any footage. The only one who came back with anything of real use, was ORF in Austria. They had made a music show about Queen's performance in Vienna. When we saw it we elected to licence the concert footage which included "Another One Bites The Dust", "We Will Rock You", "We Are The Champions" and "God Save The Queen". ORF were extremely helpful and we are talking to them about what other Queen material they have from other eras. However, on the whole buying footage from TV stations is frustrating. For one, a great deal of material has been thrown away by the stations - either for storage reasons or simply because, at the time, no one could envisage ever having a use for it again. So although it is possible that more of the Vienna show was filmed than we have here, that footage doesn't seem to exist any longer - although we'll keep looking! Secondly, buying licences like this is still very expensive, and that limits the amount we can obtain.

MY GOD spell it write.
Plengel user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2119 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 04, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queenman!! wrote:

I think the MK '82 concert is good but certainly not the best Queen produced. They had better realeased the full Japan 82 concert.Much better!

I think also the disc two section with the "highlights of concerts" are not the best they have in the archives.

Queenconcerts.com told all concerts of 82 ( Hot Space tour) were filmed so now i'm looking to a un-restored performance of Queen in Vienna. shit material

What do you guys think?

I think one of the reasons that the picked the Milton Keynes concert for releasing is the fact that it is again also interesting for non Queen fans. The Milton Keynes Bowl has become a famous concert venue, so if other music-lovers see a DVD with a title like the newly released DVD, then the chance is bigger that they will buy it than when it was a concert recorded at "Elland Road Stadium" or "De Groenoordhallen"

You've never seen nothing like it, no never in your life. Like going up to heaven and then coming back alive.

http://plengelqueentrader.tripod.com
Rich Tea user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 04, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't recall any cameras at Leeds but there may have been one hiding somewhere. I think there are a lot of myths about what was and wasn't recorded and what was recorded and kept. I should think Milton Keynes was possibly the only show filmed properly in its entirity that the masters still excist for! Shame because the performance at Leeds was better.

BTW they soundchecked with Las Palabras ' at Leeds but it wasn't included in the show now that would have been an extra worth having.

Shadow boxing with yourself just seems to get you no where!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 04, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queenman!! wrote:

Queenconcerts.com told all concerts of 82 were filmed so no i'm looking to a not restored performance of Queen in Vienna.

What do you guys think?

I think you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet. We've only seen footage of two European 82 concerts. No band in their right mind would pay a crew to film 30 consecutive shows.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
j0ck3 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 03:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doesn't Tie Your Mother Down from Vienna appear on Rare Live?

the-rock 4283 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

so it remains one of the great "ifs"...how would the "product" be if the source had been a concert that was regared as outstanding by the band and the audience...like leeds for example. how would this video have been?

queen on mega fire? ;)

joined queenzone.com in december 2001.

the reader-type, so to say...
My hair's a disgrace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 110 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm pleased as punch that the show has been released officially and in it's (supposed) entirety, the DTS and PCM stereo remasters on the DVD and the stereo on the CD are great.

The second disc is a dissapointment. It gave me the impression that it was thrown together. Whilst researchers and QP may have put effort into finding the material, the presentation is lacking.

Interviews:
- part one - scarcely any material, interjected with concert footage to lengthen it a bit
- part two - interesting, audio could have been cleaned up a lot better
- part three - showed how the interviewers had been given a script of the same questions to ask, and how B & R's answers were the same as F's (eg: "what ever you get asked guys, hype up the light show !!").

Concert extracts
- Japan - this could have been lifted directly from my Japan 82 DVD bootleg, complete with the "Queen Live in Japan" credits at the beginning that don't fit with the style of the rest of the MK DVD. If no master existed without these graphics couldn't they have faded in and given a generally more tidy presentation? There has been no obvious change to the audio either (also matches the "Rocking Osaka in 1982" bootleg).
- Vienna - interesting to see this footage, even if the camera men should have been shot for such a bad job ! Again, I was disappointed to see that this hadn't been cleaned up at all - surely there are ways of improving the colour balance and granularity of this footage these days?

All of this said, I'm still happy that it's been released.

What confuses me though, is that a show such as Earls Court 77, that we know exists in good quality, is so often rejected for the same treatment and release. It's a fantastic show, OK with a few mic problems (which could in theory be overdubbed with vocals from other shows from the same tour if they exist). Most of us have an entirely watchable bootleg VCD or DVD of this show, and I'm sure would love to see some care and attention given to an official release. Maybe this is on the cards for Christmas 2006, after GVHIII next year ....

frank39 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 478 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

don´t be so greedily, folks( right word for german word gierig? ). Hope so.
At least Queen start to realize, tha they have a lot stuff, worth to be published.
No more GH GVH1 GVH2, Best of.... DVD, No!! It´s Milton Keynes, at least, 22 years later ( shame on QP)!!!!
If this one sells, and I´m shure it will, there will come more like Milton Keynes....and not only Hot Space shows.
What do you expect? Shall they release their whole material at once?

frank39 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 478 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My hair´s a disgrace:
You are so right.
Why not Earls Court? It is so much more spectecular in pictures and sound.
But I havn´t lost my hope until now.

My hair's a disgrace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 110 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Has a poll been done before on whether Earls Court should be officially released? I'm guessing it will have been ... ?

Mcm user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 205 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Halfway through the first disc and thoroughly enjoying it. This is a Their benchmark performance as far as I'm concerned. By far the best commercially avaliable live material available at the moment.

Noticing a few edits here and there - Now I'm here being a prime suspect at the moment; the guitar solo seems to have had a few bars added. Haven't checked original tapes yet (I own an original audience bootleg - the actual tapes used at the gig). Seems to be a bit of "Detail" added as well - a bit more synth here and there, and enhanced special effects. For example more repeats at the start of "Now I'm here" than could be heard if you had actually been at the gig. That said, i don't think it detracts from what is a stunning performance of songs from their catalogue. It's a fabulous showcase of how good they were at writing and performing live.

We could do with a similar Kampuchea DVD or am i being greedy?

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure Brian asks "Can you help us" immediately prior to LOML. Again, haven't checked the tapes yet.

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 14:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sorry if i'm boring anyone but this DVD is superb. Never knew that about Brian's guitar solo. He is breath-takingly good especially in Back Chat as Roger is in ATD.

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A final question about this spectacular DVD concert. Does anyone know if even more footage exists? The lead-up to the BoRhap solo is slighty different to the version broadcast on "The Tube" which leads me to suspect that in some songs at least, we could have been given multi-angle.

Verdict: 10/10 (and i haven't even started the extra's yet). Quite honestly, I already feel like i've had MORE than my seventeen quids worth.

agneepath! 11994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1132 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 15:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

haven't got it yet... thats the trouble with ordering it online... you can save yourself several pounds but have to wait a couple of days for them to deliver it.

looking foward to it... although the extras look a touch disappointing.

TeoT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 04, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To the extras from vienna.

Their must be more then AOBTD - GSTQ vom Vienna 1982!

On the Queen Hub you can find a tv report called "Queen - On Report (German TV - 1982)". These includes parts of the now released songs and some more songs for example Flash/The Hero or Tie Your Mother Down I see.

Queen On Fire rocks!!!