Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Why did'nt brian use a radio mic for his guitar ?

forum rss feed
Author

Biggest Band On The Planet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 325 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 04, 20:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just noticed on the live at the bowl DVD that the wire to brians guitar got disconnected during his brigthon rock solo! and he had to run back to get it connected up again.

Why didnt he use a radio mic like John did ? then he would'nt have been cut off in mid solo ?

It was also the same at wembley he didnt use a radio mic either but john did.

"The Beatles were the first but Queen were the best"
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 04, 21:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why would Brian want to use a mic? You cant plug a mic (short for microphone btw...) into a guitar. You can however plug a radio TRANSMITTER into one just like John did.

As for why he didnt use one, its probably just his preference to use a guitar lead.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 04, 21:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hehehee... you accidentally wrote "brain."

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 27 Oct 04, 05:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Radio mics are lame, wires are Rock 'n Roll!. Plus Radio mics pick up Army transmissions, which can ruin your whole gig

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 27 Oct 04, 06:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Nigel, but I thought it was an Air Force signal you got?

Going back to the topic, Freddie wouldn't have used a wireless mic if his baton one had worked - watch MK and you'll see that every time he has the baton he is wired, and the rest of the time he is not. The wireless ones were backup, and the fact that Freddie was still wired for The Works tour suggests he wasn't happy with them until '86.

More surprisingly, it appears there was no spare baton at MK, otherwise wouldn't the wireless mics been attached to one?

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 27 Oct 04, 09:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian has started using a radio trans in the last few years. Don't know how often though. But it is true.

Peace,
Adam.

The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts

Posted: 31 Oct 04, 01:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, if he went wireless, he couldn't use that spiffy curly guitar cable, could he?

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 31 Oct 04, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Or the [x] kilometres of wire.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Scirocco1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 533 posts

Posted: 31 Oct 04, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read somewhere that Justin S.S. had a hard time editing the vocals of Freddie (at M.K.) when he used the radio transmitted mic because it was quite a bad sound. So, better to be safe than sorry..
Further, I think that it truly looks more rock n roll when guitars are NOT radio transmitted.

Keep 'em mowing blades sharp!
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 31 Oct 04, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scirocco1977 wrote:

I read somewhere that Justin S.S. had a hard time editing the vocals of Freddie (at M.K.) when he used the radio transmitted mic because it was quite a bad sound. So, better to be safe than sorry..
Further, I think that it truly looks more rock n roll when guitars are NOT radio transmitted.

Well, that's 20 year old technology being criticised. If you want a comparison, listen to Brian's guitar from the Palace party bit he did on the roof of Buckingham Palace. I'd be willing to give a good system a chance.
Justin was mainly concerned about the distortion that was introduced by the system. Curious that he had a bad time with something like that considering it's really easy to remove.

Peace,
Adam.

Scirocco1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 533 posts

Posted: 31 Oct 04, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well the way I read it is that he is glad he didn't use the radio mic more often because it distorts quite badly... In my opinion this emphasizes my statement...

Keep 'em mowing blades sharp!
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts

Posted: 31 Oct 04, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Radio mics pick up much more noise than a dependable cable. Also, like many of you have pointed out, instrument cables are just more "rock and roll"!

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
-fatty- 2850 user not visiting Queenzone.com
-fatty- 2850
Deity: 2029 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 04, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert at Wembley Stadium in 1992, Joe Elliot of Def Leppard introduced Brian as the man with the curly hair and the curly guitar lead.
Had Brian walked on stage without the curly guitar lead, the fans would have felt cheated. They would know doubt scream at Joe Elliot and pelt him with coins for telling such lies. Then 72,000 fans would leave Wembley and demand their money back. The concert would lose thousands upon thousands of pounds and Brian, Roger and John would probably be declared bankrupt and sent to prison where they would be bum raped on a daily basis by a big guy with tattoos and bad breath.
Still, on the upside, we wouldn't have had to listen to David Bowie reciting the lord's prayer like the complete twat he is.

fatty.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 04, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fatty wrote:

Still, on the upside, we wouldn't have had to listen to David Bowie reciting the lord's prayer like the complete twat he is.

LMAO!

earwig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 274 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 04, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking as a guitarist myself, in the early eighties, radio systems for guitar sounded CRAP! They were VHF, not like UHF now, and completely killed the inherent tone of your guitar. Bassists and acoustic guitarists got away with it more cos they don't use an overdriven tone. I now use a Sennheiser and I can't hear the difference between it and a cable!

OH S**T!!! I've turned into a techno-nerd!!!!!!

Dead Daddy Long-legs. I'm still drinking it.
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 01 Nov 04, 22:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly!

Peace,
Adam.