Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Would Freddie have been fit enough to tour in 1989 ?

forum rss feed
Author

Biggest Band On The Planet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 325 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Oct 04, 20:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would Freddie have been fit enough to tour in 1989 ? seeing him in the breakthrough video he looked like he was full of energy.

"The Beatles were the first but Queen were the best"
LiveAidQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4489 posts

Posted: 28 Oct 04, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think he would have been.

Comprende muchacho.
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 28 Oct 04, 21:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nope. Since the doctors said he probably wouldn't even make it to see the release of The Miracle

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 28 Oct 04, 23:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Release of Innuendo that was.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 04:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For years I also thought "why didn't they go on a last tour in '89, he looked so good". He even gained some weight as it seemed from '87 to '89.
But in the years after his death all the details of the lesions and the kaposi sarcoma which had already afflicted his body during that period were published. Also, in the video of "Scandal", especially in the behind-the-scenes footage he looks already really sick. So absolutely no possibility for a Tour.

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 05:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the breakthru video also gives a very deceptive view of how he was. that "short trainride" took nearly a whole day to film. in the documentary it's even commented on how they were losing the light

so i think Freddie was possibly (due to his health) able to work for short bursts of time - which is even how much of the later music was made - they would all be available at short notice if he felt well enough.

let's face it you can't have a gig where the lead singer leaves the stage every 10mins for a 15min rest....unless we're talking Br****y Sp***s

go deo na h√Čireann
Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 05:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He looked good in the Breakthru video and also others from that time but I also think he looked terrible in the Scandal video.

I think he had his ups and downs...there were times when he was feeling and looking pretty well but due the constant change of health status it would've been too risky to start a tour, never knowing how Freddie would feel the next day or week and if he'd be able to do a 2 hours show.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Nuno user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 285 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 06:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They wouldn't have got the Insurance for him either

back off with your Megaton
Martin Packer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 528 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the difference between "Breakthru" and "Scandal" videos is that in the former he looked like he was having fun. And in the latter he didn't, but then the subject matter was more serious.

I think one can go overboard analysing the videos. Personally I'm fascinated at how they all worked to "news manage" the situation. Hats off to them for doing it, of course. But I also agree with people who've said we were in denial.

An interesting one is the case of "Headlong". In that video Freddie looked much better than in "Slightly Mad". Headlong video was released after it. But my guess is it was made before Slightly Mad.

As I've said before I think the signs were there from '86 onwards. In '86 it would just have been his more serious demeanour - he had something on his mind.

And in case anyone finds this morbid - consider the fact that we emotionally invested very heavilty in Freddie (and probably the others too). Now consider anyone you personally invest in that you only see once in a while. You notice how they've changed, don't you? You care.

Now why we should invest emotionally in people like Freddie, that's a whole 'nother debate.

Martin
Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Headlong was indeed shot before These Are The Days. It was then mentioned in the fan magazine I think.

And touring in 1989?
The 1986 tour was their biggest ever, as I recall. Another tour in 1989 would be smaller and Freddie couldn't make it to the full - he knew that. It wasn't Queen's style to go on a "farewell tour" that couldn't be as good or better than the last one. No, it was the right decision to not tour again. Now we can recall to Queen's last tour as a huge and very successful one.

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
Martin Packer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 528 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is a shot in Headlong of some brick and stone arches - probably windows. Those same arches appear in the Innuendo video.

So I think those two were shot together and could actually have been done as soon as the tracks were decided for release as singles. And there are no useful time clues in the Innuendo videos that I'm aware of. All one can say is "definitely after the Miracle videos were made".

Martin
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whisperer wrote:

Release of Innuendo that was.

No, his doctors said he wouldn't finish it to the release of The Miracle.

gabriel79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i don't think freddie was in "shape"in the hadlong video.he seems so fragile...

crowley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here are the exact dates of every video from "Innuendo" album:

"Innuendo"
December 1990

"I`m Going Slightly Mad"
15-02-1991

"Headlong"
23-11-1990 (Freddie in yellow blouse)
April 1991 (Freddie in blue shirt)

"These Are The Days Of Our Lives"
30-05-1991 (footgae of Brian was filmed later)

"Show Must Go On"
it was a compilation - 1991

OrAnGe SoDa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 335 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sure!from watching "the invisible man"video, he was hopping around the kid, sure he would have been fit enough!

Mr Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think so, not for a real concert. But he looks very fit in the "the incisible Man" Video. so

John 3:16.....
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not sure about 'Headlong' filming dates (some of footages are dates to April 1991) - single was released in USA at the same time with UK's release of Innuendo, and I guess that two promo videos had to be showed at the same time...

Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 19:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

With the amazing advances in medical science today - maybe he could have done another tour. But in '89, definately not. Because there wasn't as much known then, Freddie's health often got the best of him. One day, he'd be just fine, but maybe hours later, feel like sh*t. And also, with his health at the time, I don't think he'd be able to work with all the traveling and climate changes and all that stuff that can really mess with you.

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 04, 00:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No. Not at all.

I think I'd rather remember The Magic Tour with it's gains rather than 'The Miracle' tour with it's losses.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
SilverShoes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 128 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 04, 03:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Biggest Band On The Planet wrote:

Would Freddie have been fit enough to tour in 1989 ? seeing him in the breakthrough video he looked like he was full of energy.

I think Brian or Roger says when they were making The Miracle videos that Freddie was already very sick, and could only work for short periods of time before he had to rest. It's really easy to spend an entire day filming a video for a four minute song, then cut all the footage together to make it look "perfect". As others have said, it's pretty clear there's no way Freddie could have toured in 89.

"Compromise? That word is not in our vocabulary"-Roger Taylor, quoting Freddie Mercury