Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen or The Beatles? Which is the greatest band ever?

forum rss feed
Author

gmhmagic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 171 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 09:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Quite a question isn`t it?

For me, obviously Queen, I also adore The Beatles, but Queen is Queen... I would like to know most Queen Fans` opinions about both bands.

Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 09:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In terms of sales ? Concert attendance ?
Talking of music I am sure there a loads of people who think that Aqua is the greatest band ever. Or N'Sync. Or 5ive. Or even New Kids on the Block. You just can not define it as long as personal taste is involved.

But if we stick to that, seeing it only as personal opinion in terms of the impact a band has on music (you said the "greatest", that implies a discussion about achievements and influence on other artists), the greatest band for me are the Beatles. Simply because they started the whole craze and influenced generations of musicians (incl. our 4 lads) - and still do.

But Queen obviously is by far my favourite band ! A love-affair for 18 years now...

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
gabriel79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Beatles had such a huge effect on popular culture that will never, ever be repeated. Queen may have bettered certain things, but they did not pioneer things the way The Beatles did.

Sure, Queen concerts were better. Sure, Queen lasted longer as a band. But The Beatles changed the world. Queen did not, not even close to the extent of The Beatles.

Queen will always be my favourite band, but I completely bow down to what The Beatles stood for and accomplished in less than a decade.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 12:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><font size=1>ah yeah</font> wrote:

The Beatles had such a huge effect on popular culture that will never, ever be repeated. Queen may have bettered certain things, but they did not pioneer things the way The Beatles did.

Sure, Queen concerts were better. Sure, Queen lasted longer as a band. But The Beatles changed the world. Queen did not, not even close to the extent of The Beatles.

Queen will always be my favourite band, but I completely bow down to what The Beatles stood for and accomplished in less than a decade.

Couldn't have said it better myself, dear sir.

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If eiter bands are "the greatest" (whatever the fuck that means!) then its The Beatles. They made a bigger impact than Queen socially & musically- plain and simple.
Theyve influenced many bands/artists that are still around today, which can't really be said for Queen unfourtunately... the only particuarly Queen influenced band around today are that pseudo-rock band The Darkness that look and sound like a bunch of music teachers who heavily rely on high pitched vocals and fret-wanking due to lack of actual songs.

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 12:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Each band has their time, The Beatles were the greatest at that time, Queen's big time came later.
I don't think you can compare them at all, not even say which band is better because they were so different.
I don't think that any band in the world could ever top The Beatles and the impact they had.
Plus, I don't even think Queen would've been the same band without The Beatles. They were a huge inspiration.
As Freddie said in Life Is Real "Lennon is a genius living in every pore"
And he truly was!

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
rmtfictionqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, pick two groups that I obsess over. I'm being Switzerland on this one. I ain't choosing. That way I can stay on my OWN good side.

MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

damn it
Queen are the best!
the Beatles suck

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
Guy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 803 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm with Bob.

"You'll never find rainbows if you're looking down."  -Charlie Chaplin
FredMerBul user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fuck**g Question.

Queen is the best band ever!

There is no doubt.

The Bigger & the Better...in everything.
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me, it's Queen. I think The Beatles are great, and it's amazing how much they changed the face of music in such a short span of time, but I've never fully appreciated their work the way I have with Queen. I think that Queen perfected what The Beatles had accomplished.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen were better musicians, singers, producers and arrangers than the Beatles. They were arguably equal as songwriters. Queen's live shows were spectacular, and they wrote the song of the century and had arguably the greatest frontman in rock and roll history.

The Beatles changed the world and have a catalogue that will never be matched. And teh winner is???

The Beatles by a mile.

You know, good times are now.
Debbie1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's got to be Queen - no-one even comes close in my opinion. I know I must be in the minority but I am not a Beatles fan - their music is ok but in my opinion there are/were better bands than the Beatles.

love of my life 14018 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 123 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 15:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Debbie1 wrote:

It's got to be Queen - no-one even comes close in my opinion. I know I must be in the minority but I am not a Beatles fan - their music is ok but in my opinion there are/were better bands than the Beatles.

Yes, but you have to ask yourself "Would those bands even exist(or if they would, would they be any good?) if it hadn't been for the Beatles?" I doubt it.

I'm not choosing. The Beatles invented it and Queen perfected it.

"Roger and I go poncing and ultrablagging just about everywhere and lately we've been termed a couple of queens."
Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What if "the best band ever" is out there and you don't even know it? Who cares about rankings?

Anyway, you don't find anything in European / US pop music that's "bigger" than The Beatles, it's pretty obvious, and that's probably all we can say.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
love of my life 14018 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 123 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just to add one thing- The Beatles as a band grew and changed so much over their 10 years. Their early stuff was simple, catchy boy band material. Then George's sitar music, and John's psychedelia gave birth to Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. The White Album, I always see as not so much the Beatles as a band. More that each song is "Paul and the band" or "John and the band", etc., etc. A seperation of Lennon/McCartney. They took another direction with Abbey Road, which is IMO, their best album. Queen reached into a ton of different genres, too, not to such an extent, I think, but it was the Beatles' concept.

"Roger and I go poncing and ultrablagging just about everywhere and lately we've been termed a couple of queens."
Mr. Mack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 18 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen, of course!

I want to say hello- I'm a new here!

look into my eyes and you'll see... I'm the only one
KillerLinda user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that the question is wrong, because you can't compare two bands who grew up in different years. Moreover Queen, who came up later, have been inspired from the Beatles, as they said lots of times Freddie & co. Surely, what the beatles did is more innovative because in '60 the musical situation was more limited. Queen had their best time from '70, when rock was consolidated with groups such as Led Zep, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix and many more. For the Beatles rock was Elvis, Little Richards, Jerry Lee Lewis...you can compare rolling and beatles or queen and aerosmith..uff...so hard to explain! I love them both so much!

Get your party gown, get your pigtail down get your heart beating baby1
LadyMoonshineDown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 894 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 04, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You simply cannot compare the two.

The Beatles influenced pop culture all over the world, especially in the UK and US. Their branch from the everyday pop scene as a Fab Four icon truly altered not only the music scene, but the culture of society.

Queen came in a different era with a different style of music. Both groups had great harmonies, but Queen had an impecable zing with their vocals that no one can do justice to. As far as their musical talent in writing and playing, they were simply amazing. We cannot deny that.

Both bands have influenced the world and the rock and roll scene in many ways to the point that we cannot compare the two. They are different in so many ways as well, that choosing one would not make any sense at all. I love them both.

"Today I saw an American flag flying at full mast and I was reassured--I knew someone....somewhere....was alive."