Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 1979 - Ultimate Collection: Live Killers (End of the Seventies!)

forum rss feed
Author

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Nov 04, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is it. The Final installment of the "1970's - Ultimate Collection". My Thanks to all who have contributed, and help clarify the overall picture.

Queen: Live Killers
Released: UK 22nd June 1979, US 26th June 1979.
Greg Brooks: Don't Stop Me Now, Spread Your Wings, and Brighton Rock from Stadthalle, Bremen, 20th January 1979. Death On Two Legs, from Sporthalle, Cologne 1st February 1979, and '39 & Now I'm Here from Festhalle, Frankfurt, 2nd February 1979. No documented information regarding the remaining tracks. (Brian May: “I can not remember from which shows the different songs were recorded from”).
UK CD EMI CDP 7 462 11 8
We Will Rock You, Let Me Entertain You, Death On Two Legs, Killer Queen, Bicycle Race, I’m In Love With My Car, Get Down Make Love, You’re My Best Friend, Now I'm Here, Dreamer’s Ball, Love Of My Life, '39, Keep Yourself Alive, Don’t Stop Me Now, Spread Your Wings, Brighton Rock, Bohemian Rhapsody, Tie Your Mother Down, Sheer Heart Attack, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, God Save The Queen

Love Of My Life
UK 7” Version
Promotional Video Greatest Flix I & II: Pioneer PLMPD

We Will Rock You (Fast Version)
Promotional Video Greatest Flix I & II: Pioneer PLMPD 01171

Hilary, Hilary: How Come You’re So Dumb
Recorded June-July 1979/ Released 1980
Produced/keyboards/drums/guitars/bass: Roger Taylor. How Come You’re So Dumb Written by Taylor/Vance. Rich Kid Blues Written by Reid. Recorded and produced 1979 at Mountain Studios, Montreux, during Queen Game Sessions.
UK 7” version Mainly Modern UA STP 2
How Come Your So Dumb
Rich Kid Blues

Queen: Unreleased Radio Interview, Innerview
Brian May, Series 15 Show 7

Queen: Unreleased Tiswas ATV Interview 24th December 1979
John Deacon/Roger Taylor/Sally James Interview

Queen: Live Stadthalle, Bremen, 20th January 1979
Queen Live Killers UK CD EMI CDP 7 462 11 8
Don’t Stop Me Now, Spread Your Wings, Brighton Rock

Queen: Unreleased Live House of Sports, Cologne, 1st February 1979
Don’t Stop Us Live Bootleg LP
By Appointment Only Bootleg LP
Queen Live Killers UK CD EMI CDP 7 462 11 8 (Death On Two Legs)
We Will Rock You, Let Me Entertain You, Somebody To love, If You Can't Beat 'em, Death On Two Legs, Killer Queen, Bicycle Race, Get Down Make Love, Now I'm Here, Don’t Stop Me Now, Spread Your Wings, Love Of My Life, '39, Brighton Rock, Keep Yourself Alive.

Queen: Live Festhalle, Frankfurt, 2nd February 1979
Queen Live Killers UK CD EMI CDP 7 462 11 8
'39, Now I'm Here

Queen: Unreleased Live Zurich 04th February 1979
It's Late

Queen: Unreleased Live Budokan Hall, Tokyo 13th April 1979
Queen Music Live Bootleg Video (Japan TV show)
We Will Rock You, Let Me Entertain You, Killer Queen, Bicycle Race, I’m In Love With My Car, Teo Torriate, Keep Yourself Alive, Don’t Stop Me Now, Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions.

Queen: Unreleased Live Hammersmith Odeon, People For Kampuchea, 26th December 1979
Crazy Duck Bootleg LP
Crazy Tour Of London Bootleg LP
Down In The City Bootleg Video
Silent Night, Jailhouse Rock, We Will Rock You, Let Me Entertain You, Somebody To love, If You Can't Beat 'em, Mustapha, Death On Two Legs, Killer Queen, I’m In love With My Car, Get Down Make Love, You’re My Best Friend, Save Me, Now I'm Here, Don’t Stop Me Now, Spread Your Wings, Love Of My Life, '39, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Bohemian Rhapsody, Tie Your Mother Down, Sheer Heart Attack, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, God Save The Queen.

For those interested in more "Live Killers" detail, there was an earlier thread with a bit more discussion:

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q_FORUM_ID=1&Q_FORUM_NAME=Queen&TOPIC_SUBJECT=Live+At+The+Rainbow&Q=415438&page=1

Why not visit our very own "Sir GH's" - "Live Killers" web-site? His in-depth analysi

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 04, 19:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Parts of the Concert for Kampuchea Hammersmith 26th December 1979 were shown on a German TV programme. Parts of the same concert were shown in the American TV documentary "The Champions".

Parts of Munich 1979 shown on German television.

Brussels 79 WWRY fast, Fat Bottomed Girls (Intro Chorus), Brighton Rock interlude, Guitar Solo, TYMD (partly), BoRhap (hard rock part), Spread Your Wings and We Are The Champions shown on TV

Rotterdam 79 Bicycle race and I'm In Love With My Car shown on TV

Parts of Tokyo 79 shown on TV

Madrid 79 Let Me Entertain You, Somebody To Love and We Well Rock you shown on TV

I do not want any google ads here.

John S Stuart

Posted: 05 Nov 04, 20:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YV: I have edited the 1978 thread accordingly, and cut out this error.

It did read "Queen: Unreleased Tiswas ATV Interview 24th December 1979
John Deacon/Roger Taylor/Sally James Interview"

As you see it was dated 1979. It was a cut and paste mistake, and I have pasted correctly above.

Also: do you know the names of these programmes? I know the two 1979 Kampuchea tracks were screened on VH1 recently.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 04, 20:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Munich 79 was produced by the Südfunk Stuttgart (a regional public TV station), the name of the show was "Musicbox mit Thomas Gottschalk" 45 minutes, about 25 minutes concert footage, the rest about the venue, stage, band interview etc.

Kampuchea features in a programme called "The Queen Special" produced by Don Normann and Jim Beach (therefore we know that QP have the concert in excellent quality)The progarmme aired on German TV but the spoken parts were voiced over. About 50 minutes.

track list
01 Now I´m Here
02 Another One Bites The Dust (Video)
03 You´re My Best Friend
04 Flash (Video)
05 We Will Rock You (Fast Version)
06 Let Me Entertain You
07 Don´t Stop Me Now
08 Killer Queen + I´m In Love With My Car
09 Crazy Little Thing Called Love
10 Somebody To Love
11 Sheer Heart Attack
12 Save Me
13 We Will Rock You + We Are The Champions

Sorry but I have no information about the other TV programmes.

I do not want any google ads here.

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1417 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 04, 22:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Love Of My Life (edit) 1:00 from a 7" promo sampler called Music News (I will check info and edit acordingly).

Brazilian-only album THANK GOD IT'S CHRISTMAS has a different mix of We Are The Champions (live version).

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 04, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Unless these are whizzing by my eyes far too quickly for me to catch, did I miss the June-July 1979 sessions for The Game, or will be those included in the next installment?

Serves me right for not viewing this board much anymore...

And, of course, this is extremely much-appreciated, John.

John S Stuart

Posted: 06 Nov 04, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester: You missed nothing. I just thought I would put all the Game stuff under one umbrella. Of course it will hark back to '79, but in the meantime it was a divison of convenience.

It seemed logical to me, I hope that you guys see it that way also.

The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 04, 00:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the reference, John... :)

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
onedunpark user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 268 posts

Posted: 02 May 05, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure this is a typo, but the Tiswas interview would have been November rather than December. I have it on VHS somewhere and distinctly remember them talking about playing the "new" NEC in Birmingham that evening (which would indeed have placed it at 24th November 1979).

What a great resource.

Steven

riku_queencdr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 03 May 05, 03:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen was the first band ever to play at the NEC and this was on the 5th of December 1980. I have once read a newspaper article about that.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, some Japanese magazines claim that the TV broadcast was not from the 13th of April 1979 concert but 25th of April. I must check my audio bootleg of this show and compare it to the video.

great king rat 1138 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 756 posts

Posted: 03 May 05, 04:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

riku_queencdr wrote:

Queen was the first band ever to play at the NEC and this was on the 5th of December 1980. I have once read a newspaper article about that.
Also, some Japanese magazines claim that the TV broadcast was not from the 13th of April 1979 concert but 25th of April. I must check my audio bootleg of this show and compare it to the video.

In Decmber 1980, they were the first band to play the NEC Arena, which is only part of the Whole NEC. There are many other exhibition halls on the site, where concerts took place before the Arena itself (which is quite cool and looks like a giant spider) was finished.

"I'll probably make loads of plans, and then just sit around on my bottom all day long and do nothing." The Man In The Shadows says it like it is.

http://www.myspace.com/petearnold

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 03 May 05, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

riku_queencdr wrote:

Actually first band was Queen's support band which played there before them.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 28 Oct 05, 22:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

riku_queencdr wrote:

Also, some Japanese magazines claim that the TV broadcast was not from the 13th of April 1979 concert but 25th of April.

Please, could an owner of the Tokyo 4-24-79 and/or 4-25-79 audience recordings check their copy to see if it matches the video? I don't have either of these shows, and I'd like to know which night the video comes from.

Thanks!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

tilomagnet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 07:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have the Tokyo 23/04-25/04/79 recordings and I can confirm that the 30 minutes video that is in circulation is definately not from the 24-04 or at least not in its' entirety. I haven't done a song by song comparison yet, but it's very obvious on some of the tracks. For example on the video Freddie introduces LMEY in Japanese which matches the 25-04 show perfectly while on the audience recording of the 24-04 show he does another introduction("..are you ready to rock, are you ready to roll...?"). The 25-04 audience recording is pretty good and clear and I'm quite sure most of the tracks on the video are from the 25-04 show. I'm almost 100% sure about WWRY(fast), LMEY and the (part of the) medley.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fantastic! Thanks a lot for this.

So this could mean that more than one Tokyo 79 show is resting in the vaults...

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 05, 08:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Death On Two Legs from Live Killers is from Barcelona, as opposed to Cologne....

chrissylane user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 28 Oct 12, 08:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

has anyone ever heard of a vinyl copy of" live killers" where side one has been mispressed with charles gounod's "faust" instead of the listed songs?
I have looked on the internet for any reference to the mispressing of this album but, i can't find anything.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 28 Oct 12, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bitesthedust wrote:

Death On Two Legs from Live Killers is from Barcelona, as opposed to Cologne....

The intro is from Barcelona, the rest is from Frankfurt

The Real Wizard

Posted: 28 Oct 12, 21:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Noooo... Death On Two Legs is from Barcelona. Killer Queen and Bicycle Race are Frankfurt.

tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2149 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 12, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's kind of weird to think that this thread was started 8 years ago. Makes you feel.. small.