Forums > Personal > Lester's rant on the personal section

forum rss feed
Author

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I posted this in Hem's failed attempt at becoming Charles Baer, but I've decided to post this in its own thread and add a few additional comments.

This personal section has become a joke. It's a complete waste of time. What once was an interesting section to post random news items and stuff about other bands - fuck, just to have a good time and joke around a bit - has now degenerated into a meaningless forum for select people to boost their postcount by posting the most assinine of shit.

I know what the big critics are gonna say - if you don't like it, don't read it. However, I LIKED visiting the Personal section. I liked checking if fatty or Flashman were going to post something funny, and I liked seeing random things about movies, music, news, politics, etc. It was a different way to get perspectives on things and even get a few recommendations on stuff I never knew before. However, this seems to have become Hem's personal forum, and while there are the lot of you who may like him, I really don't see why this forum should be taken over for the weekends. If you notice, there are about a dozen new topics from this weekend alone created by Hem, and it's always the same three or four people that post in them.

I present to you the main offender:
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=418081

Those of you who want to defend the recent posting activity, read that and tell me I'm not wrong. G'on, I dare you.

I used to like this particular section, moreso than the Queen section. I know it's cliched, but I've really grown weary of coming to this section and having to sort through all the shit to find something really worthwhile.

So don't tell me to stop reading this if I don't want to - I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. But if I am, then I'll just fuck off and let everyone enjoy this disturbing shell of a forum without crabby ol' Lester Burnham.

KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I (obviously) agree with you, HeM. The personal section is to, "discuss anything you like."

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)
dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Lester. Instead of posting such rubbish as "I'm going to be offline for an hour" "I'm off for dinner now" which are out of date pretty much as soon as they're posted try adding these people at whom these are aimed to your MSN/ICQ/whatever and spare the rest of us having to sift through the million or so pointless threads.

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are only probably like 2 or 3 of those threads on the board right now, at the MOST. That's not a lot of sifting.

(Jim Rohn)

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd be more interested in hearing what other people had to say about this besides Hem and KillerQueen.

And there are actually 12 new threads by Hem on the first page of the personal section alone.

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 18:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Promises, promises.

Hem, the way I see it, you're a good guy. You're only fourteen years old, so you're young and impressionable. You've got the typical teenage male problems - you like a girl, blah blah blah...we've all been there. However, the thing is that you seem to post every little waking thought that passes through your mind without giving a second glance as to whether it matters or not. So we've got constant updates about what you're doing, what you're thinking, what you're GOING to be doing, etc.

This would be just like me posting about every waking moment I live. If I were to post a thread about what I did today, it would be very boring - I worked on a book for five hours, I ate a slice of pizza, talked to my girlfriend, worked for another two hours, watched a bit of Groundhog Day, and now I'm here. But you seem to want to post everytime you do something and when you're going to want to talk to your two or three closest (internet) friends. There IS a such thing as e-mail, and while I'm all for free speech, a line's gotta be drawn somewhere.

The difference between Charles Baer and you is becoming minimal. Whereas he spouts random things, the topics usually die off within an hour. However, your posts remain close to the top of the bunch because you're ALWAYS posting within those topics. So while, say, SergeantPepper's thread may get lost in a cluster of your threads, if it was Charles Baer, it would get two or three "ah yeah"s and "let's get it on"s and then die.

There IS a difference, and I just want you to be aware of what you're doing. It isn't a rally cry against you, and I'm not trying to circle up a bunch of people to tell you what you're doing wrong, but I want you to know that one person - at least - is noticing it and mentioning it before it gets too out of hand. While it's great that you're so outgoing and want people to know what you're up to, there's also the matter of the other people who use this site. The only reason why this thread is staying in everybody's mind is because it directly involves you - if it didn't, it would have gotten maybe one reply and then sunk to the bottom of page three.

Moderation is key in these things, and this is a PUBLIC messageboard, whereas what you're saying to your (internet) friends could be done much more effectively through e-mail.

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I think you should take into consideration the sanity of the other posters on this board, and imagine what it would be like if every single person started posting up-to-the-minute updates on their activities.

Brimon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 571 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Excellent idea.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b>HeM<br><font size=1>The King!</font> wrote:

But I hope I am not "forbidden" to keep at least ONE thread per WEEKEND about myself.

Why must we make deals with you?

What's the purpose of posting a thread each weekend about your personal life? Those that care can probably reach you via AIM/ICQ/MSN/Email. Why bother a public notice board?

The fact is I lose IQ points around here on the weekend and try not to come. The personal section is overrun lately with nonsense that only a few can participate in. Lester's complaints are valid for most of us QZers here.

Hem - you seem to think that Richard or YV are the only ones fit to pass judgment on your actions, but that is not the case. The more rubbish you post, the more you alienate other QZers, and the more they leave and not post. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

QZ was a community of fans; now it's more of a game for a few bored people.

DJ's the man we love the most
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to say, I agree with Lester. HeM, you know you're welcome on Queenzone, but some of the threads you post would be more suited towards e-mail or a chatroom. Most of the time, any post you start ends up being a conversation between you and the same few people. Just try and keep the conversations minimal; the idea of having one post to go nuts in is a good one. Otherwise, people are going to end up feeling alienated on this board. I mean, look at my post about upcoming movies. It somehow turned into a conversation about spaceships between you and Yogurt. It starts to turn people away from posts that weren't meant to be conversation about intergalatic travel.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Carrots Of The Piratebean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 213 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

The difference between Charles Baer and you is becoming minimal. Whereas he spouts random things, the topics usually die off within an hour.

Lester, I have to agree with you about the personal section and like you I am not "anti HeM" either. But one thing that got me was what you said re Charles. Shortly after Bush won the US elections, he was hardly giving one topic time to die off before posting another one - usually shit about where Michael Moore ate, etc. To me it seemed as though he was posting like a man possessed and while it may have interested him, to an outsider like me with no interest in any politics whatsoever, it was so boring.

I am all for people posting on this section whatever they wish like yourself, but not if it will incur multiple threads of pure nonsense.

I'm saying nothing.....
Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 20:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to agree, I dont have ANYTHING against HeM or the others.. in fact I find them amusing at times.. but to make a topic about just going for lunch, or going to bed.. I think if you want hem, you should just make ONE topic.. call it HEMS topic.. and post all your little stuff like that in there.. just an idea.. nothing personal..

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 20:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm.. that last post of yours, I think that it's a great idea!

(Jim Rohn)

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well.. of course.. I thought of it.. ;-)

thank you.. :)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.
Albyboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 375 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Totally agree with Zeni... I don't have anything against you, HeM (anything personal, at least), and I have already told you that, if you remember...

The fact is that many Qzoners don't want to reply to your posts, but they find it hard to ignore you because of that tendency of yours to "suffocate" and "monopolize" the whole forum... As a consequence, many of them started losing interest and went away... You probably don't mind (and I'm not saying that it's all your fault) but, please, as you were given a second chance to be here, try to be more respectful of others' needs... We don't ask that much, do we?

:-)

Albyboy

And the light, turn then off my friend... And the ghosts... Well just let them in... Cause in the dark it's easier to see...
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Lester. I don't enjoy the Personal section anymore either bc I can't find the interesting topics for having to sort through what Hem had for lunch or a snack. By interesting threads I mean something that all or atleast more than 4 posters can see as useful bits of information that a portion of Queenzone viewers would want to know or read about. Posting saying you are off for a snack or off for lunch is of no interest to any of us and you cover up the other threads that are interesting. What if I posted on here every time I change my son's diaper? Is that interesting to you Hem? We all have snacks and we all eat lunch, so what makes your lunch or snack so special that we have to see a topic/thread about it that is probably knocking another intersting thread down?

As far as your friend not being able to use AIM, so what! That is not our faults. Email her. I also agree with Zeni about why is Barb or Richard the only ones that are allowed to ask you to stop posting all this nonsense? We all read these boards too and have done so for a long long time. Just bc some of us do not have the power to ban you or delete your posts does not mean you shouldn't have respect for the other posters.

When you make a new post Hem, ask yourself if its something worthwhile to post or if you are just bored and posting poop. Ask yourself if someone else might benefit from the information you are posting. I hope that helps.

Thank you Lester for bringing this up.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 21:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First of all.. I can't give out my e-mail for the same reason of instant messaging..but I know that's my problem..not any of yours. And I can see all of your "frustrations." I'm sure HeM doesn't mean any harm to his threads (which is actually only like two) and I think that he's now going to take care all of it next time he comes back.

(Jim Rohn)
Yogurt user not visiting Queenzone.com
Yogurt
Royalty: 1927 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 21:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sorry for replying in a thread too many times.
And I'm sorry that Gunpowder Gelatine's post about movies ended up with a spaceship.

I don't swim in your toilet, so don't pee in my pool!

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 21:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's a start.. now.. say Megamike is the GREATEST person I have ever heard of, and all will be forgiven...

Libor2 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Libor2
Bohemian: 661 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 04, 21:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, HeM, you wanted it, you have it.

I'm another one with Lester here. You said: "Don't read it, if you don't like it". Yes, I stopped read it. But Personal section is in fact flooded with your topics (and, sorry, usually with nonsenses like "I'm off for 5 minutes...", "going to bed..." etc. etc.) And interesting topics goes quickly off first page.

I haven't (unfortunately) so much time to be always here. Sometimes I could be here two times a day, sometimes only at evening or during two or three days. In last few days I looked in Personal section, saw HeM here, HeM there, shaked a head in disbelief, and... quickly went out of such mess.

You use to say "... if Richard or Barbara tell me...". This is very fine from you, but you'd understand, you do very poor service for this forum. People start to go off of here. This isn't the best thing for forum, is it? I heard here a few times somebody said that "if something isn't prohibited, then why not do it". Marquees, big fonts, colors in topics names... yes, it isn't prohibited, but it could be (and usually is) annoying. Maybe (without waiting for what Richard or Barbara will say) try to use your head and try to expect, what people say to some (your) ideas. The fact is, you aren't the only one here and you'd (and not only you, to be honest) think about other people views to things.

And, I'm another one, who encourage you and your friends here using for some personal topics ICQ, Trillian, Skype, Messenger or some other similar program. I didn't catch, why you couldn't use it. I'm old fart comparing to you, but I don't see any problem using it. Download, install, learn to use ... it's matter of an hour maybe. And, if it's really such problem, use old good e-mail. Trust me, it's even better for some topics, than to tell about them to all people here :-)

BTW, Hem, we started here approx. at same time (three or so months ago). You were banned then and you started with zero counter. You are here on weekends. And, look at your and my counter. You could say: "he has nothing interesting to say" (and it is usually true), so that's why. But for me it says something anyway.

Well, take it or leave it. I have no problem with you, but I think it's better to say some things sooner than later. It could help you maybe.

Have a fine day.

But now it's time to be gone - forever...