Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Yellow Wembley outfit will be auctioned!

forum rss feed
Author

TRS-Romania user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello fellow Queen fans,

On the 16th of november2004, at Bonham's auctionhouse,Knightsbridge,London beginning at 12:00, Freddie's original yellow Magic Tour outfit will be put on auction!

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/pubweb/publicSite.r?screen=HeadlineDetails&iHeadlineNo=909

This is a one off opportunity to personally own this piece of Queen history!

But I was wondering, for what amount do you guys think it will be sold for? Any estimates?

TRS-Romania
aka Stefan

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Unne gulde!

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 09:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to the description, Bonham expect 8 000 to 12 000 British pounds. It still pays to have been Mr. Mercury's lover...

I do not want any google ads here.

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 09:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barbara, I disagree with the cynism ...

On the other hand isnt also nice to have these items 'on the market'? (that is: for those of us who can afford to buy such a historical item)

Just my humble opinion...

Stefan

YourValentine

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That was not cynical, it was a simple statement. Maybe Jim Hutton needs the money badly enough to sell what he was given for free by the "love of his life" - who am I to judge?

I don't think it's nice when such personal belongings are sold away but that is just my opinion. I rather would see such stage outfits in a Hard Rock cafe or the Hall Of Fame for everybody to see than sold to some private collector.

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 09:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barbara,

I know that this outfit has been in Jim's closet for such a long time. I think I've been one of the few who has seen it (and wore it) after 1986 ... And now it will be available to the public. And I think that Jim has the freedom to do what he thinks is right with stuff that belongs to him. As you know he sold some items in the past which made some collectors very happy ...

Maybe in the end it will end up in a Hard Rock Cafe, that would be nicer than a private collector...I totally agree

Stefan

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YV, do you also feel the same about recordings that reside ONLY in a private collector's collection, too?

Btw, they're also selling some interesting pictures:

"Photographic prints by O Reagan also include Freddie in a silver skin tight suit in 1975; at Earls Court Arena in 1978 and with Brian May at Forest Nationale in Brussels, 1984.

A large collection of photographs of Queen, 1970s-1980s, unpublished, privately-taken pictures of Freddie, the band and entourage on various tours and other occasion such as recording sessions and video shoots, comprising mostly colour prints, some Polaroids, with a quantity of negatives will also be sold with copyright is estimated at £3,000-4,000. For details of our Rock n' Roll & Film Memorabilia department, please visit www.bonhams.com/entertainment.";

Peace,
Adam.

YourValentine

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 10:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"YV, do you also feel the same about recordings that reside ONLY in a private collector's collection, too?"

I have not heard about any such recordings being on sale anywhere, please enlighten me.

Mr. Hutton can do with his property whatever he wants but since, you, Stefan, introduced the topic to this forum I have the right to voice my opinion. And my opinion is: it's disgusting to sell private home videos of your dead lover to Channel 4 and it's disgusting to cash in what you were given in an act of generosity - unless of course you sell them for pure need.

egret user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 109 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thought Freddie gave him that stuff (jacket, collectible items) because he knew they'd be worth money at some point. I thought Freddie intended him to cash them in. I doubt he gave him the jacket so he could keep it sentimentally always, or he would have given him something more personal than what were, for Freddie, his work clothes. (As to the private videos, yeah, a bit harder to defend.)

Frankly, I find the whole "dead guy's clothing" thing a bit creepy -- no offense to whoever on here said he tried it on. I'd much rather have the photos!

--Egret

Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 10:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

uhm, nice idea the pictures auction...but i can't spend such amount of mon€y :(

Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.
PrincesofTheUniverse user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 73 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I spoke to Jim Hutton at the convention this year, and the plan was to auction the yellow jacket as part of the fanclub auction. Jim pulled out of the auction at the 11th hour, as he told me had received an email regarding it. Whether this was a better offer or whatever I don't know, he wouldn't say.

"The greed of man will be, far away from me. And my soul will be free, they won't go when I go..."

=====================

Dunfermline, Scotland
gabriel79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what was shown in the private videos that jim sold to channel 4?

KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I don't think it's nice when such personal belongings are sold away but that is just my opinion. I rather would see such stage outfits in a Hard Rock cafe or the Hall Of Fame for everybody to see than sold to some private collector. "

I agree with you on that, YV. I remember on my trip to DC last year, I saw many cool museums and monuments. One night my class got to eat at a Hard Rock Cafe, and one of the chaprones saw Freddie's red-leather pants displayed on a wall. As soon as I found out I immediately ran over to see them. I took pictures and everything. That was my highlight of the trip and I won't forget it. It was a precious moment for me since I'm way too young to have ever seen Freddie, but seeing something like that of his was sort of like seeing a part of him..even though it was only an article of clothing.

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd never sell anything a loved one gave me. I'm not sure what Freddie's intentions were in giving Jim what he did, maybe he didn't care what he did with them. I just know that when someone that means so much to me gives me something, I keep it forever. When my grandpa died all I wanted was one of his under shirts bc when I was a little girl and my family would go there for the holidays (they lived 200 miles away so we only saw them mostly on holidays) I'd always use his big under shirts for my nightgown. It hangs in my closet and there it will stay. Of course my gpa's under shirts are of no monetary value like Freddie's personal belongings are, but the sentimental value to me is priceless. I would like to think that the sentimental value of Freddie's things is just as priceless to Jim.

But to each his own. If Jim wants to or needs to sell them, go on but I'd rather see them displayed in the Hard Rock Museum or some other music museum so fans can have the opportunity to view them. No one should profit off them though if you want my opinion. Just my thoughts though.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also remember hearing that Freddie gave Jim some items with the intention that they could provide a living for him. Because, after-all, what kind of a living could he make on his own?

The one thing that Jim really holds dear, is the ring.

Peace,
Adam.

akan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 541 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i've read now this topic and i am totally agree with barbara, it's a very bad thing to see a close freddie's person that speculate of him.Hutton can do what he thinks is right but I think that he is a piece of shit

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i started thinking that jim hutton was a piece of shit when i saw that he sold stuff like the autographed vinyls that freddie signed to him

wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*sigh*
I'd sell a kidney for it ..lol

MY GOD spell it write.

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

does jim hutton have the aids?

Wouter user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 91 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

I also remember hearing that Freddie gave Jim some items with the intention that they could provide a living for him. Because, after-all, what kind of a living could he make on his own?

he could...uhm...work?

But anyway, if I needed the money, I would do the same. It's the memory that lasts, not the material stuff (not sure of the financial situation of Jim Hutton though. If he'd use this money to buy some needless luxury, I would call him some terrible names).