Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > What Would Be The Next Queen Concert Released On Dvd ?

forum rss feed
Author

Mr. Bulsara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 526 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Nov 04, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I Loved That Would Be The Concert For Kampuchea Concert in 1979. That Would spectacular, don't You Think? With a Lot Of Extras on dvd 2, off Course

André Bulsara
Zizzu user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 48 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 07:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, there are not many professional recordings that could be used in an official released. This is my list of possible DVDs:

-Live at Rainbow 74
-Live at Hammersmith 75 (both even in one set)
-Live at Earl's Court 77 (with bonus from Huston)
-Concert for Kampuchea 79 (with bonus from Munchen or Paris)
-Live in South America 81 (it can be include Buenos Aires, Caracas or S.Paulo shows)
-Rock in Rio COMPLETE SHOW 85 (including bonus from Tokyo or Sydney)

There are also The Hide Park concert 76 or Knebworth one 86 but I think will never released because of their bad quality.

What do u think?

I gonna feel this world is using me!

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 11:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only show professionally recorded from 1977/78 era are Earl's Court and Huston.

The first one with a good video and audio quality, except for some microphones problems that could be solved with overdubbs from the second night (also recorded). The second one, it says, survive in archives in an integral form, even if a ca. 45 min bootleg can be found today (quite rare).

From this era survive also some numbers from USA tours, including audiece bad-quality recordings (such as the longest one, 22 min silent footage from Los Angeles 77), and Keep yourself alive/We are the champions live in Munchen 78 (broadcasted on TV); I doubt anyway this tapes could be use for an official release.

The previous recordings are fewer. Roumors says that the Budokan concert (1975) was recorded integrally, but is it true?

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its about time they started releasing 2/3 gigs together as opposed to one gig then scraping the barrel for extras as a second disc. Also, they spend too much time on the audio on these live DVDs and seem to neglect the picture. Do we honestly need a 5.1 mix for a live gig? No.

NTL user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If they were going to release a DVD of one concert it would have to be Houston '77 because,

a) It has a great set list.
b) The band are in superb form.
c) It is the only footage of Freddie in superb voice ( yes much better than MK )
d) 99.9% of people who have seen it say it is the best Queen show they have seen.

And also, because it is so rare everyone will buy it. So what if the picture quality isnt great it will still blow the socks off any Earls Court bootleg. And as for the audio, anything can be fixed.

I love you for your mind baby give me your body.
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NTL wrote:

If they were going to release a DVD of one concert it would have to be Houston '77 because,

a) It has a great set list.
b) The band are in superb form.
c) It is the only footage of Freddie in superb voice ( yes much better than MK )
d) 99.9% of people who have seen it say it is the best Queen show they have seen.

And also, because it is so rare everyone will buy it. So what if the picture quality isnt great it will still blow the socks off any Earls Court bootleg. And as for the audio, anything can be fixed.

You're right about that. And it contains big hits like Killer Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody, You're My Best Friend, Somebody To Love, We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions, and also smaller hits like Spread Your Wings and Good-Old Fashioned Loverboy. This is an excellent choice :-).

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm almost positive he did so, i'll say... Yes, Yes he did. ;)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
OgreBattleField1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
OgreBattleField1980
Bohemian: 503 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe its just me , but I recently downloaded a bootleg or what i think is a bootleg of Earls court 77 and honestly , i wouldnt mind that one being released as to me it has a great version of You take my breath away , and i acctually like the live version of this song as opposed to the acctual album version of this as it is very beautiful.

Ogre Battle Lives FOREVER MORE!
j0ck3 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Houston would be very nice. I mean the audio doesn't have to be PERFECT or as good as Milton Keynes. As long it is enjoyable sound and quality of the picture I would be happy. And the audience? It's a American audience. American audiencens suck. Bootlegs prove that they are quiet and sophisticated (as Freddie says at Earl's Court) as they wont get their asses going. Montreal also proves that. But I wouldn't mind as I would love to see a release of Houston.

Liquid Scream user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 478 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

j0ck3 how has Montreal proved that North American audiences suck????
That We Will Rock You video proves nothing about North American crowds let alone Montreal crowds.
One lame crowd, it can happen. So the crowd didn't sing Love of My Life. What American audience did? I haven't heard one bootleg in which they do.

For proof of American audiences not sucking try Montreal 78 and 82, MSG and the LA from the ADATR's tour.
Those American crowds far from suck!

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

.::HeM::. wrote:

I'm brazilian and never watched Queen playing in Rock in Rio, but I'd love to see it complete in a DVD (any of the nights, but I really don't want a mix between the two nights). The band already said that this gig was as good as the Wembley and Knebworth ones. But many fans say that it's the worst official VHS ever released, they say that Freddie was out of fit, etc.
São Paulo looks great (specially because I'm brazilian and OF COURSE I'd like to see a release of a concert which happened in my country), but do they have a good quality version of it? Watching Rare Live I think they don't.

Rock in Rio is not one of the best Queen shows, but not the worst too! Even Wembley isn't the top of the tour, but it's a great event. Also Rock in Rio is an important piece of history in Queen's career, such as Rainbow, Live AID etc. I think an integral form would sounds great if we think that will be added tracks as Somebody to love or Killer Queen.
Talking about S. Paulo gig, as the other S. America shows (Caracas and Buenos Aires) it was broadcasted on TV enterely (ca. 113 min. with 5 min. of souncheck) and it could be conserved in the network archives. I think the quality of the video-tape is good.

gabriel79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 16:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wembley compared to rock in rio show is a real brilliant one

MercuryArts user not visiting Queenzone.com
MercuryArts
Bohemian: 839 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 21:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I still say they can release a DVD of the 70's shows in a manner similar to what Zeppelin did last year w/ thrie DVD. Show a selection of songs from the main shows; Rainbow 74, Hammersmith Odeon 75, Earls Court 77, Houston 77, Kampuchea 79. The best moments from each put together in an order that runs like a concert. Then all the added extras like old interviews, other TOTP, anything. That Zep DVD is the blueprint to which all others should follow. If you haven't seen it, go buy it!

"Take care of those you call your own"

Posted: 13 Nov 04, 05:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MercuryArts wrote:

I still say they can release a DVD of the 70's shows in a manner similar to what Zeppelin did last year w/ thrie DVD. Show a selection of songs from the main shows; Rainbow 74, Hammersmith Odeon 75, Earls Court 77, Houston 77, Kampuchea 79. The best moments from each put together in an order that runs like a concert. Then all the added extras like old interviews, other TOTP, anything. That Zep DVD is the blueprint to which all others should follow. If you haven't seen it, go buy it!

It would be bad! Another "Rare Live"! And where would be the "Queen DVD collection"? I hope the collection will rappresent the entire career of the band from the beginning (Rainbow) till the end (Wembley), in a complete way.

Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 04, 07:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It always amazes me how quickly people demand for a follow-up just right after a release. When you've just had your dinner, do you immediately ask what you'll eat the next night? No, you first enjoy the dinner that is served and then you relax and feel good afterwards, you feel satisfied.
When you consider what will be you next meal after eating, I think you haven't enjoyed it.

Let's digest Queen on Fire and Live Aid first :-)

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 04, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

anything from the 70's, we have enough eighties. the jazz tour would be nice, we'll get to see the nude bike girls.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 04, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

or if they have the madision square garden show that would rock.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 04, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just watched Paris 1979 (the 60 minutes video) today and I must say that it really rocks!!! I think this is one of the best Jazz shows. Great performances of Fat Bottomed Girls, If You Can't Beat Them, Dreamers Ball, Don't Stop Me Now, Somebody To Love and Spread Your Wings. Queen are in topform here, and Freddie talks to the audience quite a lot, I think that's pretty cool! This is also a nice option for a release, it has enough commercial hits for the big audience, so it's a good choice! Bur we'll see :-).

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts

Posted: 14 Nov 04, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zizzu wrote:

Ok, there are not many professional recordings that could be used in an official released. This is my list of possible DVDs:

-Live at Rainbow 74
-Live at Hammersmith 75 (both even in one set)
-Live at Earl's Court 77 (with bonus from Huston)
-Concert for Kampuchea 79 (with bonus from Munchen or Paris)
-Live in South America 81 (it can be include Buenos Aires, Caracas or S.Paulo shows)
-Rock in Rio COMPLETE SHOW 85 (including bonus from Tokyo or Sydney)

There are also The Hide Park concert 76 or Knebworth one 86 but I think will never released because of their bad quality.

What do u think?

I think "Earl's Court '77" would be pretty good for release because;
a) its set list was unique ,for example, "Death On two Legs" was fully performed after Freddie's speech about it, and "Doing All Right" was contained and so on...
b) its rapport between Freddie and the audience was so fun and relaxing
c) rock'n-roll medley was properly long and so cool to see
d) it was the memorable and the last concert during the period when Queen closed the main set with "In The Lap The Gods" before the News Of The World tour
e) even though it didn't contain "WWRY" and "WATC", it was so much attractive as a whole, especially, he played the piano almost half of all the numbers, and "White man-Prophet's song" were awesome, too.

I have little about Houston, but as far as I see the official VHS, such as "Rare Video" and according to Mr. Greg Brooks's "A Concert Documentary", I do hope "Houston" will come out whether in its entirety or not. Will there be any possibility about that? Its set list contained "WWRY", "WATC" ,and "Love of my Life", so it would satisfy the big public and it might show more variety than "Earl's Court".

About "Kampuchea", I have its bootleg CDs and I have wondered why they have not released its video or DVD...I've thought it was representatively fantasitic concert of late '70s ones of Queen.

Anyway, I do hope one or two from the period when Freddie was wearing harlequin leotards will come out such as "Earl's Court" and Houston".
Hmm...Suppose some from Jazz tour will be added to any other concert DVD as a bonus track..it would be so nice...
And I also hope "Kampuchea" will be released.

What do you think?

Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
j0ck3 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 04, 05:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liquid Scream wrote:

j0ck3 how has Montreal proved that North American audiences suck????
That We Will Rock You video proves nothing about North American crowds let alone Montreal crowds.
One lame crowd, it can happen. So the crowd didn't sing Love of My Life. What American audience did? I haven't heard one bootleg in which they do.

For proof of American audiences not sucking try Montreal 78 and 82, MSG and the LA from the ADATR's tour.
Those American crowds far from suck!

Yes you are right that not all American crowds suck. Maybe suck is a too strong word in this case? Maybe lame is better.

I listened to Montreal 78 today. Montreal 81 has given a bad name for Montreal concerts. Even if Montreal 82 must be one of the best Hot Space gigs of the World Leg.

If you listen to some typical gigs during maybe The Game tour, gigs as Hartford, New York and Chicago as you can only hear the crowd really well during vocal improvisation and We Will Rock You. That is a lame audience. No wonder why Love Of My Life was dropped from the set during Hot Space Tour.

Some of my favorite concerts in America are

New York 77 (the night Saturday Night's... was performed)
Oakland 78
Montreal 78
Montreal 82
Philadelphia 82
Chicago 82
Oakland 82

There are good American concerts. Majority of the about 250 concerts Queen did in America are lame. The band may do a good performance. The audience won't.