Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > On Fire CD least chart success of any CD in the UK

forum rss feed
Author

Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 04:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe nowadays, in the age of DVD, people prefer the possibility to actually see the whole thing - perhaps the concept of a live-album is outdated ? The DVD is pretty successful from what I've heard.

I only bought the DVD, although I consider to buy the album someday for my car-hifi.

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 04:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I only bought the DVD, although I consider to buy the album someday for my car-hifi."

That's the whole problem: you won't be able to play it in your car - it's copy controlled. You don't get a standard Audio CD for your money, just a crappy, willfully degraded product - no wonder it does not sell well. If you have the DVD, the playability of the audio CD in your car OR your computer is the main reason to buy it.

I do not want any google ads here.

Daz85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1802 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 05:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wouldn't really look into it as being a failure, as the DVD was released on the same day (and given the promo backing).

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 05:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My copy plays fine in my car. However, I have a Marantz CD Recorder that I ONLY use to play audio CD's on and it won't play on there.

In all honesty, I only bought it because it might look nice on the shelf - the DVD was of more importance to me really and I was sadly disappointed by that.

It appears that Queen are now ONLY a visual band (thanks to that fucking musical) and no longer judged by the quality of the music alone. Sad days for a once great band.

Benn
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 06:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

"I only bought the DVD, although I consider to buy the album someday for my car-hifi."

That's the whole problem: you won't be able to play it in your car - it's copy controlled. You don't get a standard Audio CD for your money, just a crappy, willfully degraded product - no wonder it does not sell well. If you have the DVD, the playability of the audio CD in your car OR your computer is the main reason to buy it.

Actually YV, it plays fine in my DVD RW on my computer.

What I think the problem is is that a lot of the younger generation, will pick up the CD in store, take a look at the tracklisting and then suddenly realise that they only know about 3 of the songs and promptly put the CD down. Either that or they will simply download it from Suprnova or Kazaa for nothing.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 06:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really don't know about this. In the past each Queen CD sold very well in my country but this time many people return the CDs. My CD shop tries to get me a copy without the copy control because in other countries these are available. Let's hope EMI realises that the (older) core customers are not buying this. The CD entered the charts on No. 10 here although it was on sale for 14, 95 Euros which is really cheap. The charts for week 2 are not yet available

I do not want any google ads here.

forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 157 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 07:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The simple thing is, who in their right mind is going to buy a CD that for me costs about £13 when you could buy the DVD which has video as well as sound and extras as well for £3 more expensive? If a live CD was released and no DVD was then I think it would do well.

Just one year of love, is better than a life time alone!
Daz85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1802 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 07:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Precisely. Take the Led Zeppelin live DVD and CD set... released further apart and with differing material.

Of course I'd like to see it chart higher, but there are valid reasons why it didn't. Hey, even Busted's new live album failed to make the top 10 in the UK (haha) and so did the Stones!

Jimi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think its a case of double format problems here. As rightly pointed out if you buy the dvd are you really going to buy the cd as well??

That is I mean to generate huge sales(they will always be some that will buy both)

Live albums never sell particularly well anymore and this is a fairly well known release already.
The success of the dvd is key here. Would have been interesting to see how well the cd would have sold without a dvd release. I think there is a lot of people out there that didn't realise it was a dvd and cd release.It seemed to be marketed heavily from a dvd perspective to me. E.G the stores in my area all carried the dvd but only 2 had the cd at release date.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just hope that quite poor sales of CD won't affect the future releases...
Bought both- for the collection...

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As mentioned before we're living in the DVD era.

People indeed are enjoying more being able to watch and listen an entire concert instead of just listening to it on a CD.

The DVD has had outstanding sales, so no big deal if the CD is not selling as much.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 10:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nobody's buying a cd when there's a DVD available. How does the DVD do it in the charts??

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe if there had been a bit more promotion it might have done better, its the only album not to have been released on vynil, and I feel as though its just been thrown out as something to keep the fans happy this year whilst Brian and Roger continue thier trek around the world promoting this poxy musical, I mean, Brian is so wrapped up in the bloody thing tht he didnt even realise that there was no vynil! But, we're all mugs and will still buy it!

By the way, It plays fine in my car, just a standard Ford CD player.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Jimi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fair point Brian.

I had the dubious pleasure of seeing the show for the first time last month and i really don't get what all the fuss is about. It's 'ok' adequate,somewhat trite and sadly fairly childish quite frankly.

Why you would wanna drag that around the world in your mid fifties god only knows....

Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is no single release.

Richard: 50000 DVDs were enough for "gold" in Germany. No idea about the UK.
That means by now they probably sold between 50000 and 100000 copies of the DVD in Germany alone. Many of those people would have bought the CD if there was no DVD.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 11:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's hard to buy the CD when the DVD is selling for less in the States.

I'll probably pick up the CD used at some point, just to complete the collection.

DJ's the man we love the most
Mayboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6181 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I bought the CD and DVD together because they were on special offer, otherwise i would have bought it later. I guess sales will saw soon

"I'm going up Buchanan Street

With a box of fireworks

And two bottles of

Tizer"

Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DVD is better than CD. Theres your answer.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Future Manager user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 160 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are some programs that let you copy dvd chapters and tracks to mp3. If you use these you practically have the CD along with the DVD. I even got a progam that lets you convert DTS to stereo (it doesn't work with every track though), which sounds quite nice, especially the DVD-As and the GVHs, although you can here that it's meant for more than 2 speakers here and there. It's very useful for people who have some of the dvds but can't enjoy the DTS capability, like me.

You Don't Need Nobody Else
Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 488 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 23:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My Cd is not copy-protected. Could be because i'm from Canada and have the Hollywood Records version.

Best live release from queen thus far. DVD comes out next week!