Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > most underated Queen album?

forum rss feed
Author

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen has so many underated albums, but my top five are Queen, Queen2, sheer heart attack, A day at the races and innuendo. Give me your thoughts on the ultimate underated queen album. These albums are rarely mentioned with the best albums of all-time, but we Queen fans no better. My pick is probably Queen2, but it's close

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By the public, A Day At The Races. It's an amazing album, but most people just pushed it aside after A Night At The Opera. As for underrated amongst fans, probably The Works. A lot of people say it's mediocre, but I think it's a good, solid album with some great singles.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

mrbadguy86 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 48 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One of the most underated Queen Album MUST be "The Works" from 1984! It's almost never mention in the Album-favourit-rankings in the magazines, nor by queen-fans. It has so many good and beautiful songs, and many hits on one album!

Radio GaGa:
(Vinyl Single)
A cool and good synt-pop song, and was also high up in the charts, only beaten by Frankie Goes To Hollywoods "Relax"!

Tear It Up:
A typical and heavy rock song. You can hear on this song, how much Metallica and GunsN Roses was inspired by Queens sound!

It's A Hard Life:
(Vinyl Single)
Its one of my favourit song Ever! I love both the beautiful melody, and the touching lyrics! and dont forget how good the voice of Freddie is on this pop-ballad song!

Man On The Prowl:
A classic 50's inspired rockabilly song, very unknown other Queen tracks on this album specially!

Machines(Or Back To Humans):
A typical 80's "Kraftwerk" song. Not one of the best Queen song, but the voice of Freddie "save" the song from being TOO bad!

I Want To Break Free:
(Vinyl Single)
One of the best Synth-pop songs made by Queen, and also in the rest of the music history! A famous, recognable and funny song made by Deacon. Was also good in the charts around the world.

Just Keep Passing The Open Windows:
(Vinyl Single)
A very good and rocking pop/rock song made by Freddie. Its a very typical song of Freddie. In the begining of the song you can hear a magnificient voice by him, and a beautiful melody.

Hammer To Fall:
(Vinyl Single)
A famous classic-rock song made by May. Good rock, and is a power rock song that is nice to play on concerts like Queen did threw the 80's.

Is This The World We Created?:
(Vinyl Single)
A very beautiful and touching song made by Mercury and May, and is recognable with a song like Love Of My Life. Freddie had a magnificient and nice voice, with good guitar playing by May.

Freddie Mercury; "Reach for the Top, and hope for the Best"

"Find them, Fuck them, Forget them!"
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot Space. People dismiss it without a fair chance all the time.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 15:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Artist Formerly Known As Dan Corson wrote:

here here

Chom own mudder fukker.
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Artist Formerly Known As Dan Corson wrote:

I agree. Maybe it was not good album for 1982, but now - 22 years ago - we know that Queen came back to rock roots, so it was an experiment and it's great. It was exotic and it's something what I like. Wasn't Bo Rhap an exotic song? And who'd be Queen if they didn't experimented with the sounds? IMO

And The Miracle - most of people took it just for singles.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Underated among the press... Pretty much all of them (especially 'Queen II', 'ADATR' and 'Innuendo')

Underated among fans... 'A Kind Of Magic', 'Jazz' and 'The Miracle'

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 19:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oddly enough, I agree about Flash Gordon...it's a nifty album, and not too different from what Bowie was putting out at the time. Just listen to his more atmospheric stuff from Low and "Heroes", and compare that to Execution Of Flash and Escape From The Swamp.

Shame it was a soundtrack album and not an album of collected instrumentals, with some of the stronger ideas from that album extended into proper songs.

M. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 04, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot Space! (and Flash Gordon...)

"Guten Morgen, Sie wünschen geweckt zu werden!"
Hankster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 05:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Works (which is just my favo. album!)
and in the press they speak about Wembley like that's the only live album ... but Live Killers is imo also a great live recording!

brian_may_wannabe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 05:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot Space defenately.

daniel.hughes

made_in_heaven (thats_what_they_day)
Jimi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Live Killers

A Day at the Races.

gabriel79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

maybe jazz and adatr

the works production really sucks

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What the hell is A Day at the Races? *obvious sarcasm*

heh.

But I'd say ADATR too.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Hankster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 12:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

gabriel79 wrote:

the works production really sucks

I just don't understand what's sobad about it .. it has so many hits (Radio, hard life, Hammer to fall, ITTWWC? etc.) the only song I don't like that much is machines .. but it's an album with a real queen-feeling so to speak, which wasn't on the Hot Space album ..

so, what do you think what's so bad about it? :S

k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 535 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd say "A Day At The Races". I think it was even more underrated in 1976 than now. But it is still in the shadow of "Opera".
"The Works" is a really good album also.
"Innuendo" was excellent, many critics know it, but still too many don't.
And finally, "Made In Heaven" - I think it sounds really good, you don't hear such albums every day. It contains also one of the most underrated Queen songs ever - "You Don't Fool Me". I can't believe it was only no. 17 in the UK charts! Fortunately it was a big hit in other European territories.

mystic_rhythms user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Works, Flash Gordon and Hot Space.

The Works - Great rock feel. Hammer To Fall and Tear It Up hold the album's rock attitude, while Radio Ga Ga, It's A Hard Life, and I Want To Break Free mix pop with rock to make a grand combination, and the synths of Machines, though frowned upon, offer an electronic alternative to the rest of the album. A fine album!

Flash Gordon - Though many of the songs are either instrumental or feature snippets of dialogue from the movie, this album is one to be enjoyed by all Queen fans. The passion and foundation built by Flash's Theme and The Hero are definitely underestimated. Football Fight, Flash To The Rescue, and In The Space Capsule are instrumental tracks that hold the album and the movie together. A great soundtrack and Queen album!

Hot Space - For my money, the MOST underrated Queen album in history! Good opening with Staying Power, good mix of rock and dance with Back Chat, Action This Day (my fave Hot Space song), and Calling All Girls, with the general rock/pop feel of Put Out The Fire, Las Palabras de Amor and Under Pressure. Great experimentation with dance and synths, and a worthy outcome in my humble opinion. Cherish this album; there is NOTHING like it!

We can only grow the way the wind blows

On a bare and weathered shore

We can only bow to the here and now

In our elemental war

- Rush, "The Way The Wind Blows"
Queenette=1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 103 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is so hard to pick an underated album for me because I don't think that any of their albums are bad. I simply love everyone! So I am going to say that EVERYONE of their albums are under-rated. So that would be my answer. EVERYONE of their albums are under-rated. QUEEN should have been HUGE like the BEATLES, or THE STONES or something, but then if they were I probley would not have liked them. So that's that. xoxoFromQueenette

Cherie Grove
Mr Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I gotta say that the fact that "the Works" is so underrated is because it has no albumfeeling. It is not like ANATO, not like many other. It is like a collection of singles. Thats the fact.

John 3:16.....
Queenette=1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 103 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 04, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="crimson"><b>ThomasQuinn</b> wrote:

Queenette=1 wrote:

QUEEN should have been HUGE like the BEATLES, or THE STONES or something[.]

NEWSFLASH: They were.

Maybe I'm not old enough to know but when I was growing up QUEEN here in the United States was NOT popular like THE BEATLES or THE STONES, okay!?
Let's not get cocky! Again I am just stating from my own prospective and point of view and when I grew up. Do you understand?

Cherie Grove