Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie's voice change

forum rss feed
Author

Red_Special227 user not visiting Queenzone.com

add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Nov 04, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did anyone besides me notice the dramatic voice change Freddie went though from the 70's into the 80's? He stopped singing smooth and started the rock voice, It doesn't sound bad, but you can tell it's kind of a fakish voice because in like TSMGO when he hits the very very high notes and in all the other songs where he hits the high D's and C's etc. He goes back to his smooth voice to hit them. Just wondering why he did that, it's not very good for the voice. Is it because he wanted to change with their image a little? like when they lost the long hair? just wondering.

Oh take me, take me, take me I'm your play-thing now!
gabriel79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 04, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what the fuck is tmg etc?

gabriel79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 04, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tsmgo what song is?

MetzgerR user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 368 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 04, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm assuming that's 'The Show Must Go On'.

Ja ne.

jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 04, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think common belief is that Freddie's smoking contributed to his vocal decline. Yet another reason to choose 70's Queen over 80's. The voice was much better in the 70's though he could still hit the notes in the studio if he really tried ... especially on the last couple of LPs.

Shake it Sugaree
Josuè user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1970 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 04, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, we all noticed that, I think.

An interview? Oh, don't be ridiculous...
Giacco 73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 04, 15:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having said that I love Freddie voice in every era...
It was his precise choice.
I had a quote of Freddie which says:"I was also pleased with my voice.I like it husky.It's all the smoking.That's why I smoke-to get that husky voice."
Age,smoking,cocaine,partylife and a tecnique based on pure instinct skills led his voice to sound like it sounded in the 80's but..I really love it!Am I the only one!?
It was a dramatic change of image compared to the 70's but I love it way better.
I'm not into that much of the glam 70's look and I always loved his voice in every era but when I think of Freddie it come immediatly to mind his strong,powerful and huskier voice of the mid 80's along with his mustache!
I always felt one thing.In the 70's he sang with a beautiful and youthful voice,no doubt about it but he sang "slower" if you get my drift and talked very frequently between songs,which is fine for me.But during the 80's his vocal delivery seems to me like "speeded up",more faster,powerful,energetic and masculine like the change of look with jeans,T-shirt and Adidas shoes which I love way better than the 70's one.Maybe I'm in a minority...

Freddie Mercury.

A wonderful human being and simply the greatest singer,performer and composer of our times.
Brianmay1975 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brianmay1975
Bohemian: 608 posts

Posted: 14 Nov 04, 04:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Fred's voice throughout the 80s, but the 70s' voice is my fav. Giacco 73 is right, it seems that he abandonned the feminine looks of the 70s together with his feminine singing style. In the 80s he had a strong appealing masculine look... and a stong masculine voice too. But I dunno why, I like better 70s Queen.

I LOVE QUEEN!

"My guitar was my weapon and my shield to hide behind" (Brian May)

Thomas Tønnesen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 04, 06:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's voice was much better from the eighties and onwards. He learned new singing techniques. During the seventies he used mostly a function called curbing, and sometimes neutral. From the eighties he incorporated the two last techniques called overdrive and belting.

Examples :

the refrain - "The show must go on" - is sung in the belting technique, thereby the squecking sound. The high D's are sung in curbing technique, often referred to as headvoice. His curbing was quite extrordinary.

He was a voicegenius in many ways. His voice was more gentler and thiner in the seventies, and got more powerful and huskier in the eighties -> 90's..

And no, it's not dangerous for him to sing that way you referred to. He is only singing in curbing with an effect called distortion. A thing he often used to do...

"Gimme the prize" - is mostly sung in curbing with distortion/growling and overdrive... If its done correct -> No harm.

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 04, 02:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's 1970s voice and look was way better than the 1980s. He looked better without the goofy moustache he sported in the 1980s. Freddie was a great singer regardless however.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
AndresGuazzelli user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 148 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 04, 00:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Thomas.

I'm not very into your terms about vocal production. Curbing? Distortion? Not the familiar vocal technique terms.

Belting is carrying your chest voice above your passagio... and Fred is not belting at 'the show must go on'
He sang everything above Middle F headvoiced.
The only song I remember now with Freddie belting above Middle E is the 'If God is Willing' part in Barcelona, where he belts a chestvoiced F3.

I don't want to start talking now about vocal technique, cause I could spend hours and hours, but maybe we can get together and talk bout this :D

Thomas Tønnesen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 04, 05:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Andres!

I´ve read your site and I think it´s very good. I´m not very good at this but I´ve learnt a lot in the last years from my private voice teacher. The terms belting, curbing, overdrive and neutral are included in a voice book by a Danish woman called Cathrine Sadolin. It features quite new knowledge about the voice and its physics.

But I have to go now... I´ll send you a mail and try to explain... :)

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 04, 06:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

His voice sucked during the The Works era!
Just listen to every boot out there from that era..omg! i think it's their 84-85 is the weakest Queentour ever!

Killed by drones.
Queenerer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 13, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love freddie voice in  mid-70's and late 80's!

Supersonic_Man89 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 241 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 13, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Epic bump, but okay.

Freddie's voice is intriguing. For instance:

78-79 - Not so great range
(end of 79) 80 - 82 - Great range
84-86 - Not so great range (with Live Aid being the exception)

In the studio he pretty much nailed everything, I just find it interesting how he can hits the notes he could whilst recording 'Let's Turn It On', then a few months later struggle on tour.

Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 13, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another old topic gets bumped.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 13, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the laugh on 'Epic bump'.

That truly was.

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
Robbe100 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robbe100
Rocker: 33 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 13, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm more a fan of the sweeter voice , the falsetto's etc.70's voice. But the 80's voice is a whole new story and I like that. It's good to change. He really had the voice of an angel

"If I can't have you when I'm waking , I'll go to sleep and dream that I'm with you" Queen - Dreamer's Ball
Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 13, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I prefer the 80's voice becouse together with the image it provided a top athlete quality without sacrificing too much of the artistic sensibility.
However the 90's Innuendo voice in a lot of ways combined the best aspects of his 70's and 80's voice.
I remember reading a review saying that during Innuendo his voice was a sapphire of its "old shelf". A wonderfull metaphor i think!

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Heavenite user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 721 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 13, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am no singing expert, but I would think that Freddie's singing skills increased as he went on. But overall,I think the best vocal instrument would have to have been when he was younger.

When you're young you have the gift that hasn't been subject to the wear and tear that goes along with ageing and misuse. Your voice also deepens as a person gets older, which usually restricts range to some extent, That note at the end of "Hang On In There" that has obviously been altered presumably because of range limitations is a case in point.

Nevertheless older voices do tend to have a rich timbre to them that younger voices don't have .And as I said, the range of skills that Freddie had towards the end was even more awesome I think, whatever terms you use to describe them..