Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Why was Made in Heaven sadly overlooked in US as opposed to other countries

forum rss feed
Author

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 04, 22:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think MIH was a great album but the album was somewhat ignored here in the US when it was released despite the fact it went Gold. The album peaked at a dismal #51. However, in other countries, MIH hit #1 and was the band's best selling original material studio album. In the US, those honors go to NOTW and The Game each at 4 million a piece. Americans at the time of MIH's release(not counting myself and some real music purists) were big into faux rap like Cypress Hill, the Adult rock of Hootie and the Blowfish, and the angst-ridden grunge alt-rock of crap like Alanis Morissette, Alice in Chains and The Smashing Pumpkins, AAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGH! I played some tracks of MIH when I did college radio like Mother Love, It's a Beautiful Day(Reprise), Too Much Love, the title cut and others. I think MIH was ignored as my fellow Americans were too angry and bowing down at the shrine of the loser Kurt Cobain and the rest of those loser grunge freaks!

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 04, 23:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, Yes it was. Atleast I didn't overlook it. ;)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 04, 23:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

heh, too true. Smashing Pumpkins is teh suxxor.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
deakys ghost user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 09:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Think that Hollywood Records must share some of the blame as they are respnsible for distribution and marketing of Queen product within the USA. Can't recall if May or Taylor did promo work for the LP in the states as they did for Innuendo.

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Umm, because it sucked?

You know, good times are now.
Wouter user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 91 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BHM 0271 wrote:

Umm, because it sucked?

or because Americans suck ;-)

Anyway, Queen hasn't been an American top selling band since 1980 (with the exclusion of BoRhap in 1992), so it's no surprise that MiH didn't really top the charts.

k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 535 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly.

NOTWMEDDLE

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MIH did manage to go Gold in February of 1996(three months after its release). Hollywood may have been Disney owned but had distribution by first Elektra then PolyGram then Universal. VH1 did some promotion for MIH by showing an edited version of then new documentary Champions Of the World plus edited versions of Live in Rio and Milton Keynes in December of 1995 so that helped sales somewhat. Other than that, my fellow Americans like what is the latest thing(I say hogwash). MIH was a great album but Americans were busy being force fed grunge, gangsta rap and those has beens Hootie and the Blowfish and Alanis Morissette whom both fell from grace!

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
NOTWMEDDLE

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 13:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

deakys ghost wrote:

Think that Hollywood Records must share some of the blame as they are respnsible for distribution and marketing of Queen product within the USA. Can't recall if May or Taylor did promo work for the LP in the states as they did for Innuendo.

Hollywood is the US and Canada. Even with Universal backing Hollywood, kids don't want Queen they want crap like Good Charlotte and what not!

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NOTWMEDDLE wrote:

Hollywood is the US and Canada. Even with Universal backing Hollywood, kids don't want Queen they want crap like Good Charlotte and what not!

Sad, ain't it? One of my 11-year-old students is completely convinced that the guys in Good Charlotte, Blink 182, and Sum 41 are some of the best rock musicians ever. When he told me that, I didn't know where to begin.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do! Take his guitar away. ;)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Giacco 73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the USA never understood completely what Queen were/are.

Freddie Mercury.

A wonderful human being and simply the greatest singer,performer and composer of our times.
NOTWMEDDLE

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><font size=1>ah yeah</font> wrote:

NOTWMEDDLE wrote:

Sad, ain't it? One of my 11-year-old students is completely convinced that the guys in Good Charlotte, Blink 182, and Sum 41 are some of the best rock musicians ever. When he told me that, I didn't know where to begin.

Jeez. Sum 41 are the worst Canadian act since Avril Lavigne and like her are poseur punks. Good Charlotte's lead singer who is 25 is dating a 17 year old actress/singer Hilary Duff whom coincidentally shares the same record label as Queen in the US and Canada. Blink 182 is pop punk. I am 28 years old and have loved Queen since I stole a copy of the Elektra version of Greatest Hits from my older sister's friend in December of 1990. The first album I got was A Night at the Opera in March of 1992 when my dad bought me the CD. Since then, I have loved Queen and regretted not ever seeing them as I was only 6 when they did their last US tour.

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Why do you think it sucked?"

Well...

Brian said that the process involved the remaining members passing the material back and forth and making changes independently. Call me crazy but that's what the album sounds like, a recording made without a band dynamic.

Second, the songs are incomplete or rehashed. Track 1 and 13 are unfinished. Mother Love was unfinished. Piece of my heart was unfinished.

Three, the songwriting was weak. Everybody's opinion is different, but these songs sounded like throwaways dug up for the purpose of releasing product.

Four, and most importantly for the US market, it was flat and boring. Queen was a rock band in the US, period. They were liked by the masses for AOBTD, but their creative and popular peak was when they were rockers. There is nothing resembling a rock song on the album, and don't say IWBTLY is a rock song. It's a synth tune with guitars (which sound contrived.) There are no amazing "Queen" moments.

Five, it's beyond maudlin. Other than Mother Love for emotion, it's in Celine Dion cornball territory. If they had ended with the honesty of Innuendo, I think it would have been a perfect goodbye, but it reeks of a manipulative goodbye.

Six, the covers are inferior to all of the others. And IWBTLY was unknown in the US, so who cared if was covered.

To each his own, and I'm sure people on this board feel the same as ANATO, which is my favourite album. But I remember a station which supported (and still supports Queen) in Canada saying that the album was a nice tribute, too bad they couldn't have given him a farewell with some decent songs. My sentiments exactly.

You know, good times are now.
Mr Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, As sir GH said and many other,
It really tears me up when people says that sum 41 and other wannabe band are the best muisc available. When I tells them about queen, they say that you must love the music of today, and so on.
That made in heaven didn't hit that high in the states is boring. Maybe they didn't like the softer side of queen. Everybody knows that the artists that have sold the most records are those who can change there style of music without lose there roots.

That the music industy is in panic is not hard to see. Just look on what kind of shit they give the audience. For myself, I'm waiting for something new from Brian.

John 3:16.....
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 16:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you want to stay popular in the States - your name has to be Frank or Elvis, no other way!

Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's one very different theory on why Made In heaven didn't make it in the USA. I never thought about this myself, but a friend of mine came up with this idea.

Made in Heaven - most people will understand this as Freddie making music in heaven after his death. What will the typical American think when he sees a title like this? "No way that fag is in heaven. Homosexuality is a sin, he is in hell now. How can they even suggest that this kind of satanic music is made in heaven?"

Sounds silly? Please remember that we are talking about one of the few countries in the world that didn't understand that the video for I Want To Break Free was sheer fun.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure Frank Streisand and Elvis Springsteen will agree.

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whisperer wrote:

Here's one very different theory on why Made In heaven didn't make it in the USA. I never thought about this myself, but a friend of mine came up with this idea.

Made in Heaven - most people will understand this as Freddie making music in heaven after his death. What will the typical American think when he sees a title like this? "No way that fag is in heaven. Homosexuality is a sin, he is in hell now. How can they even suggest that this kind of satanic music is made in heaven?"

Sounds silly? Please remember that we are talking about one of the few countries in the world that didn't understand that the video for I Want To Break Free was sheer fun.

still, utter stupidity can be no excuse for this.

It seems hardly likely to me that someone, in a country that hasn't really supported Queen for over fifteen years, is thinking about buying an album, but decides no to, because the title might imply that homosexuals go to heaven.
I think braindead people like that would shudder thinking about the idea of buying a record of a gay singer in the first place.

Still, a nice theory, though. ;-)

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 19:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting theory, but I doubt people were looking that much into the title. The US didn't care about Queen at all after Hot Space and the release of Made In Heaven didn't attract any attention because of that. And plus, they were pretty much off the radar in favor of other music anyway.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.