Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Your thoughts on the Live Aid DVD set

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Too many songs missing, and not just the Led Zeppelin ones. I understand that Led Zep was totally dissapointed with their performance (I don't think it was that bad, though), but at least they should have included the whole sets of the other bands and artists performing.

It might have taken 2 or 3 more extra discs, but it would still be worth it.

Queen, no doubt about it... (and not because I'm a fan) blew every other band out of the water. I still can't understand how can some people say that U2 or Bowie gave better performances.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queen's was easily the best performance on the day
- but their set was about "giving everyone a great time"

U2 and Bowie were very emotional sets and by far much more "sweeping people up in the tide, of what the day was about"

go deo na h√Čireann
agneepath! 11994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1132 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As Queen fans we can't really have too many complaints about the Live Aid boxset...

Regarding Queen's performance... no body came close to touching them. U2 were good but when Queen were on there was a definate buzz...

reasons why they were so good? they rehearsed and used every second of their allocated time. They also chose the best songs...

Their performance is even better on DVD!

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did U2 plan playing more songs?

It seems to me like Bono was so concerned with bringing those chicks out of the crowd that he wasted more than 10 precious minutes where he could have performed 'Pride', or 'New Years Day'.

Also, did anyone catch Phil Collins missing a note on the piano while playing 'In The Air Tonight'. You could have seen that the expression on his face said... FUCK! I MESSED UP!

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Liquid Scream user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 478 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They left out a couple of good performances. Overall I'm happy with it.

Too bad there was no Santana included or more of George Thorogood & the Destroyers.
Thankfully they left some stuff out.
In all honesty do we really need more of Nik Kershaw or the Style Council??

As for U2, the only thing I think I disliked more than their performance was Bono's mullet.

Giacco 73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 15:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the Live Aid DVD set!
Queen that day as always were on another level for everyone and Freddie performance was totally out of this world...
Best frontman and live band ever!
Luckily it is fully released.
On the other hand I'm totally disappointed for the incomplete inclusion of the set of Judas Priest and Black Sabbath.
But what's more important is that I could give my contribution in still saving lives...

Freddie Mercury.

A wonderful human being and simply the greatest singer,performer and composer of our times.
agneepath! 11994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1132 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 15:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

Did U2 plan playing more songs?

It seems to me like Bono was so concerned with bringing those chicks out of the crowd that he wasted more than 10 precious minutes where he could have performed 'Pride', or 'New Years Day'.
QUOTE]

I think thats one reason why Queen were so good... they planned everything to perfection and knew what they were doing.

Other groups seemed content to have a chat with the crowd... there was no sense of urgency or maximising the 20 minutes or so.

Giacco 73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...but Tony Iommi's immortal riffs deserves the world respect IMHO!
By the way I'm not a particular Ozzy Osbourne fan as a singer,I prefere by far Ronnie James Dio or even Tony Martin as Sabs singers even if I admit Ozzy vocals perfectly suited the evil lirycs of Sabbath's 70's efforts.

Freddie Mercury.

A wonderful human being and simply the greatest singer,performer and composer of our times.
KevMull user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 672 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't forget that not ALL of the show was recorded and archived by the BBC (Bob himself didn't even want it recording!) and I believe some of the DVD is made up of stuff that MTV had recorded.

This probably explains the reason why it's incomplete.

QUESTION...

Is the entire concert in DTS and/ir DD 5.1?

Somebody told me that only some of the extras are!

Mayboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6181 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I havent got this yet either, will definately be on my christmas list!

Im only going to get it for the 20minutes of Queen, so what the rest is like doesnt bother me :P

"I'm going up Buchanan Street

With a box of fireworks

And two bottles of

Tizer"

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

Your thoughts on the Live Aid DVD set
I don't have it.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 19:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just got it through the door today. Literally. When I came down from slumber, I was shocked to find the parcel wedged in the letter box! That's the bloody postal service in the UK these days. Bastards. No thoughts to the fact that anyone could've seen that and nicked it. And as a result of pulling the box through, I believe it dented 2 corners of the box. Aggggghhhhhh!

Sorry, needed to vent that anger. Anyway, I've begun watching the first disc and am pleasantly surprised at some performances from the day. I've never watched it all the way through, so it's interesting to discover all the new (to me) stuff.

Btw Kevo, what do you mean, "I believe some of the DVD is made up of stuff that MTV had recorded"? It says in the booklet that MTV came to the rescue with their hours of footage in a box! So, there's no doubt about it. It's a shame that there wasn't much thought payed to archiving the entire concert. At least some people didn't take Bob's word on not wanting to record it.

"Some performances are still missing and that's because the tapes just don't exist. Other performances were lost on the day because of satellite or power failures: The Who played 4 numbers but only 2 were broadcast because the generator blew up."
etc. etc. It goes on about other things missing. But does say that there are a few performances that have never been broadcast. So it's not all bad. I look forward to getting through the set over the next week. Just hope I've got the time!

Peace,
Adam.

Natisse user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 19:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I haven't seen it yet, but I CAN'T WAIT to get it!! I've heard all about the 10CD set and that's at the top of my wishlist ;)

Blessed Be...
KevMull user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 672 posts

Posted: 17 Nov 04, 19:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Btw Kevo, what do you mean, "I believe some of the DVD is made up of stuff that MTV had recorded"? It says in the booklet that MTV came to the rescue with their hours of footage in a box!"

That's what I meant.

I don't have the boxset (yet), i'm just goin off a brief conversation I had with a work colleague ths morning.

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 07:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah... too bad about Sabbath indeed, specially cauze when you see their full show they leave a much better impression then with Paranoid alone! Cildren of the grave is just kick-ass! And yes, it was not superb because they did not rehearse, they were still very much fighting eachtother (Ozzy and Iommie could not stand eachother) and it was just a one-off reunion. Besides: Ozzy in those days was that much of a heavy drinker that his voice suffered a lot!! Trust me: his voice on Live Aid was much better then during the average Ozzy-show in those days.
(Don't know about Priest, I don't have their full show)

But overall: great to have the set. Especially to finally get to see Is This The World We Created! (The one and only reason for me to buy this set... well not entirely ;-)

twowaymirrormountain user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't have the DVD yet, but I recently dug out my vhs tapes of the event. If I was in Led Zeppelin, I wouldn't want that shown either. Plant isn't singing well and Page's guitar is out of tune.

Queens set is great, though there are commercial interuptions of CLTCL on my old tape. Hammer to Fall is especially good.

DK
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

Also, did anyone catch Phil Collins missing a note on the piano while playing 'In The Air Tonight'. You could have seen that the expression on his face said... FUCK! I MESSED UP!

there's no piano in the "In The Air Tonight"... there is one in "Against all Odds" which he played @ Wembley and indeed fucked up a note... And smiled... Wasn't "In The Air Tonight" sang from behind the drum kit...? (haven't watched the whole thing yet- 2 discs to go...)

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 08:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Darling Fenderek, there's indeed piano in In The Air Tonight. As a matter of fact it's nothing BUT voice and piano!
(At Live Aid that is...)

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

Darling Fenderek, there's indeed piano in In The Air Tonight. As a matter of fact it's nothing BUT voice and piano!
(At Live Aid that is...)

Well, as I said- 2 more discs to go... :)
But I was at least half right- he fucked up "Against All Ods"... :)

mamamia user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 67 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I havn't seen it yet, I want it for Christmas, but it looks fantastic to me.

The hardest thing is getting to the top, then having to come down! :)