Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Thriller: The Queen album that never was.

forum rss feed
Author

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 06:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian always used to come across for the most part as being a relatively humble gent, but it seems to me that in recent times he's been trying to claim all sorts of 'firsts' and records on behalf of Queen, of which many of these claims have seemed rather hasty and speculative.

His latest bit of ego-inflation is just absurd though. Hop over to his soapbox, http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html, and check the entry for Tuesday the 16th.

He's fucking claiming that the most successful and biggest selling album of all time owes a debt of gratitude to Queen releasing arguably the shittest album of their career, Hot Space!

What is Brian on? How on earth would Thriller have not been made were it not for Hot Space? Thriller was released only 6-7 months after Hot Space, and although I don't know the recording and production history of Thriller, I think it's very unlikely that MJ heard Hot Space in May 82, and then was inspired to feverishly write, record, produce and release Thriller all before December.

And it's not as if Thriller was completely out of the blue for MJ, being as it was only a natural progression for MJ after Off The Wall, which was released before Queen's first foray into funk/disco/dance-orientated pop/rock with AOBTD.

Plus, if Thriller was heavily influenced or inspired (or whatever it is that Bri's implying) by Hot Space, surely it would've been shit?

Is this not Brian's most ludicrous ever claim?

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
trustno1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It does indeed sound like Brian is talking shit.

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 07:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well... Hate to say so but I also find that Brian is getting a bit of an old, grumpy man that just cannot stop nagging people on his website...

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He`s proud of the band he was in, although there are plenty of real pros for Queen instead of exaggerating supposed firsts. For instance, Brian commented there was no such modulation as the one in We Are the Champions until ... well, that. And there are two very well known examples of that: Layla, and All The Young Dudes.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
KevMull user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 672 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 07:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And AOBTD would have never been made without Chic's Good Times :)

And he's also very peeved about what that Times journalist says about him at the recent Band Aid press conference........

"Joanna Bale, you nasty sniping little bitch."

For Goodness sake Brian, after all these years 'experience' with the tabloids, you would have thought he would be a bit more thick skinned!

Just waiting for him to critisize the DTS mix on Queen's set on the new Live Aid DVD.

Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 09:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not the first time I hear somebody say that, and I never understood what on earth Hot Space had to do with Thriller. I thought there are probably hundreds of albums that had more and ealier influence on Jackson than Hot Space. Maybe Brian knows something we don't know.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 10:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do believe that Queen might have influenced 'Thriller', although only partially.

Queen showed with 'Another One Bites The Dust' that an artist could crossover and do a song of a complete different genre than their usual, and make it a very successful one.
Although on Michael Jackson stuck to primarily soul, funk, pop and disco on his debut album 'Off The Wall', on 'Thriller' (particularly with 'Beat It') Michael Jackson decided to try rock, and it was an absolute success for him.
Later he'd be showing success on the rock genre with songs like 'Dirty Diana', and 'Give Into Me' featuring Slash.

Let's be honest, 'Hot Space' wasn't a really good album. The only kind of inspiration an artist would get from 'Hot Space' would be to not make the same kind of mistake.

I'm gonna have to agree with the ones that say that Brian might be talking too much this time.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Brimon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 571 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 10:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I had a chuckle when I read Brians comments.
I can't believe he is serious. I'm just hoping he was trying to stir up some kind of reaction. And if he was'nt well, what next.

Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We know that around the time of Hot Space that Queen, especially Freddie were pretty 'well in' with Micheal Jackson, AOBTD was realeased quite a while before Hot Space and MJ loved that. Im not sticking up for Brian but I think that Micheal could have had some sort of influence from Queen around that time. Yes, thriller could have been a natural progression from Off The Wall, which is also a superb album, but as was said before, Micheal started to introduce a little bit of heaviness into his work too.

Why the FUCK does Hot Space get so much shit on here??

Chom own mudder fukker.
Liquid Scream user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 478 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't argue what Brian is saying. MJ was a fan of Hot Space and I can can definately see some similarities on the two albums. What's to say he didn't use any ideas that Queen did on the album?

If you take Hot Space for what it is, a dance/rock album it holds up well in that category. But being Queen its hard to handle for most fans, considering their prior output being based in rock.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

this was no "road to damascus - shining light moment"
MJ was already recording Thriller by the time HS was released

I think Brian maybe "slightly" exaggerating things here. apart from which, surely MJ would have given credit for it by now?

let's face it if the biggest band that ever lived - The Beatles can give credit to the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds album for "helping to influence their change of direction", (listen to PS and listen to Back in the USSR) then surely, Whacko would also do the same if HS was the inspiration

go deo na h√Čireann
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

McCartney has repeatedly stated that he always looked to the Beach Boys and what Brian Wilson was doing to try to one up them. Revolver begat Pet Sounds, which begat Sgt. Pepper, which begat the unreleased Smile.

If Michael Jackson was trying to compete with and one-up Hot Space, then there was really very little competition there.

tomnever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whatever Brian is wrong or not, he's expressing is own opinion.

HE HAS THE RIGHT TO DO SO !

Even if it seems exagerated to say HS influenced directly Thriller, does he have to be insulted and treated like shit everytime he assumes an opinion which is not yours ?

I ask the question because it seems to be IHateQueenZone.com more than a Fan forum and I am sorry to say that I'm bored with such negativeness.

Let's argue in peace, not anger.

"Surrender to the city of the fireflies

Dance to the devil in beat with the band

To hell with all of you hand in hand"
Brimon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 571 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If Brian wants to publish his thoughts on a notice board, for all to see, then why should'nt we critisise it.
If Brian says, jump, we dont necessarily have to do it.
You'll probably learn more from these negative comments as you say, than you would from a group of people who went, baaaaaa.

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course I don't mean to follow Brian's thought as if it was a kind of guru !!!!!

But the opposite (excessive negativeness) is also ridiculous IMHO

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tomnever, you need to get a bite of reality...public figures who make millions out of music buyers and then decide to make very challenging statements like the HS begat Thriller one, are subject to the same rules as everyone else.

That is to say - if you say something intelligent then it will be accepted as so. On the other hand, if you state something that most reasoned thinkers, in possession of all their faculties and still having active cranial matter would know to be utter bollox, then I'm afraid they are there to be shot to pieces. Brian has (unfortunately for him) spouted near-effluent, and as a result deserves the criticism being levelled at him, and you dear tomnever should see the comment for what it's worth.

My best guess is that Brian will make some kinda climbdown soon, citing "being quoted out of context" - and then it will be hard to take anything he says in future without a large serving of salt

go deo na h√Čireann

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 15:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well... I hear your argument and I'm OK with it. I already agreed it was excessive. Seems that we're OK on that too.

But it's just the negative climax of most comments and several posts in this forum, not particulary on this subject that made me react, that's all. I just think there's a lot of negativeness among die-hard fans.

And I think that's a shame, without seeking a responsible to that situation.

One thing is certain : that's not good for the band to have fans doubting like that. Hope they hear it.

I trust in them, so I just hope they will give us some new stuff to calm down everybody !!

Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I trust in them, so I just hope they will give us some new stuff to calm down everybody !!"

That's the problem, I don't trust them in the sense that I think they are still capable of doing something that really interests me. I don't identify myself with much of what they do or say anymore, in the contrary. Their pull is gone. But I may still express my thoughts, from time to time, don't you think?

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 16:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I too, don't understand why Hot Space gets so much flack. I like it because it's different and interesting. Nice mix of different tracks.

I have to agree with Hank on something. Maybe Brian knows something we don't. Remember that Freddie and MJ were friends at that time. Where is that picture of Freddie, John and MJ from? They're all sitting in a line and MJ's looking at Freddie. Anyway, we should also remember that MJ could've been visiting Fred to see what him and the band were doing during recordings. It's possible that MJ wanted to pass on ideas to his own creative team. But we just don't know.

Perhaps strange words from Brian. But we just don't know what Brian is insinuating with his comments. After-all, he does say, "probably"...

Peace,
Adam.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps he wants to prove that Hot Space was good for something.

Don't look at me like that, I love the album.