KingMercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Nov 04, 22:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i dont know electric 6
i dont know anything about his music, about his life, if they`re gay, etc
now i know they made a cover of radio ga ga
but i cant understand one thing: radio gaga was written by roger
if one person want to make a cover of a copyrighted song, he has to get permission from the song writter
my question is: how could electric 6 made that video?
how could "queen" allowed electric 6 to make that video??????!!!!!!!!!!
(the video shows electric 6 singer dancing on freddie`s grave and making fun of his teeth and his clothing....terrible)
that was a big mistake
who knows electric 6???
here in argentina, they are nobody
and sure, when peolple ask electric 6 about the video, they`ll say that the video is a tribute to freddie mercury...that sucks!

"I`m Just A Singer With A Song...How Can I Try to Right The Wrong"
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why would Roger want to ban it? He gets royalties from it...

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
ogre t raylot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 994 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 07:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree.

Every singer or group whose ever recorded or performed a cover should be lined up against a wall and shot.

Teo_torriate04 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 414 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As I understand the law of copyright, so long as the lyrics aren't changed, there's nothing anybody can do to stop releases such as this. Once a song's in the public domain, and so long as the appropriate royalties are paid it's a free for all.

To cast aside the fury of the battle.

To turn my weary eyes for home.

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 07:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So there's nothing Roger could have done about it even if he wanted to. I'm sure he looks forward to your apologies.

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Strange or not. It is a fact that the only right a composer has over his work is who records it first, whether it be themselves or someone else. Like I say, once it's in the public domain it's up for grabs. But the lyrics must remain unchanged otherwise it's deemed a new song. If Electric 6 had changed even one line from Radio GaGa, then the record could have been stopped and charges of plagerism brought to bear.

BackToHuman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 122 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 09:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

actually, copyright law covers the lyrics, but not music. thus why "Weird Al" can (or rather, could, if he wanted) get away with parodying songs without seeking permission first.

re: public domain -- i don't know about elsewhere in the world, but here in the US, Disney managed to get the public domain time from 75yrs to 95yrs ("Steamboat Willy" was due to go public domain this year, until Disney managed to get that changed). as every country has slightly different copyright laws, i believe Electric6 (or anyone else wanting to release a cover) would be required to meet everyone's requirements -- i.e. if GaGa is infact public domain in, say, Iceland right now, then it could leagally only be released in Iceland, or anywhere else where the copyright has expired.

expiration of copyrights is extremely unlikely in the case of Queen. at least, anytime soon -- it's one of the benefits of continually remastering and rereleasing albums. if Gaga were, in fact, public domain, then, at the very least, anything 'The Works' and prior would be public domain, which really just means absolutely anyone could release it, legally. EMI could release a Greatest Hits package, but just as easily could Tooth&Nail, or Victory, or even Standard Recording.

" Strange or not. It is a fact that the only right a composer has over his work is who records it first, whether it be themselves or someone else." -- that all depends on who holds the copyrights (not just songwriting, but also publishing, and permormance rights). not everyone is under the same contract, and not every record company's "standard contract" is the same. smaller independant labels allow artists to maintain all copyrights. some larger indies allow artists to hold on to everything but publishing (in other words, once an artist has left a lable, said lable is still allowed to release anything by that artist that is already in their possession).

one final thought -- although i've not seen the video yet (is it online anywhere?), isn't it possible that what some are calling "disrespectful" some others would call "taking the piss"? as i say, i've not seen the video yet, but reading these desciptions makes it sound not much different from Wyclef & co. making off with the Freddie statue in their AOBTD vid.

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BackToHuman: I'm sure you're correct in what you are saying, and I am certainly no expert in copyright laws. It is the case, however, that to all intents and purposes anybody has the right to record any song he or she wants as long as notice is given to the songs copyright owners within 30 days of the recording being made, and before it is distributed. It makes no difference whether the song is 3 months old or 30 years old.

All I was trying to do was to explain that it's quite possible for cover versions to be released by just about anybody without the endorsment, or even the knowledge of the original artists. The attack on Roger earlier in the thread was harsh, personal, and (in this case) patently unwarranted.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 11:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ogre t raylot wrote:

I agree.

Every singer or group whose ever recorded or performed a cover should be lined up against a wall and shot.
Even Johnny Cash?

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*DOUBLE POST*

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's the video that I find offensive and disrespectful...the audio is so-so....

JumpMan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 17:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jesus.
the video is a laugh. course it was going to piss queen fans off, we/you/they are a hostile bunch.

the electric 6 have ended their set with that cover for about 4 or 5 years now, they love queen, and arent trying to be disrespectful. it's been said in an interview in fact the two bands dick valentine cites as his all time favourites are talking heads, queen and roxy music.

the bit in the grave yard, maybe a bit distatseful yes, but he's not dancing on his grave in a 'haha fuck you' way at all.

fucksake, calm down. it's a decent version of the song. and even the original video was a bit naff.

13 monsters
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i stand by what is aid yesterday...i think there's more homage to queen than abuse intended...you'd don't dress up like someone and look that obviously stupid unless you do like the person concerned...and the grave thing? i think it's supposed to be a sad thing...he doesn't look like he's having a great time

why are people on here so fucking anal/defensive/and ridiculously uptight

"people get so uptight, i mean it's only a bloody record" - freddie Mercury - Milton Keynes 5/6/82

go deo na h√Čireann
JumpMan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

indeed. it's a homage, albeit a bizzare one, the E6 love queen, dick and M have said.

leave it be.

13 monsters
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 18:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thought as much, even tried to say so the other night, cheers man

perhaps this might shut the whiners up once and for all?....although i strongly doubt it

there's some people on here who see every none-queen use of a queen song as a sacriledge.....some of em whine louder than a 747 coming in to land

go deo na h√Čireann
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Caught it on tv a couple of nights ago. I swear my first reaction was "Whaaaa?" And a few seconds later I truly did laugh out loud! People take these things too seriously.

But I said it when I heard it months and months ago, I still don't like what they've done with the song. Just sounds crap to me.

Peace,
Adam.

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1422 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 18:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is only a bloody record!

-fatty- 2850 user not visiting Queenzone.com
-fatty- 2850
Deity: 2029 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just saw it on telly and had to go change my undies. If you can't see the humour in that video then you're a miserable twat and deserve the glum life you lead.
I haven't bought anything to do with Queen in a long time but Electric 6 have restored my faith in the utterly ridiculous.
Praise da lord.

fatty.

The Left Testicle of Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 55 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 19:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The people on this board need to get some perspective.

I saw the video for the first time the other day, and it's a tongue-in-cheek parody of the band and the song.

But it's done with respect.

Anything that could be called important in any field is open to parody. Why do so many people, especially Americans, interpret that as either anti-Queen, or, on the matter of the illegal war in the Middle East, anti-American?

Stop being so oversensitive, you tarts!

Brian May, I should say
whiteman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 85 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 04, 19:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i know it s only rock 'n' roll but i like it????? i ain't seen this pile of shit you speak of and don't really want to
who really gives a fuck there is always some asshole who wants to poke fun at some one with talent
why give them the credit they DONT deserve by talking about it?
talent will out my dear..................