Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen and Paul Rodgers? It seems for real this time!

forum rss feed
Author

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Nov 04, 22:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Quoted from www.therockradio.com, an interview with our beloved Roger Taylor today:

"We are planning some more material and we intend to work together [with Brian May] more. I think after Christmas, this year, we will completely slow down on the We Will Rock You [musical] front and maybe concentrate on, you know, some new studio work and maybe some live work."

"We have some collaborations coming up."

About the possibility of a new album: "Well maybe, if we have enough... we have some great singers that we know and I think Brian [May] and I would sing some and then we will get some great singers... we are talking at the moment with Paul Rodgers who is.... who we always liked as a singer and he has an incredible voice."

---------------------

All I can say is: woo hoo! I loved Rodgers' voice last week, and I'm glad to see this collaboration may very well continue. I'm actually kind of excited about this.

Watcha think?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 04, 22:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's about fucking time, is all I have to say about this. The Who and The Stones are still around making new music, so why shouldn't Queen? I'm just glad they held off on working with Elton, Robbie, or George and waited until something right came along. Paul just seems to 'gel' with Roger and Brian.

Now, it's time for ol' Rog to get into shape again!

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 04, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As long as Brian and Roger sing some too, I'm all for new material! :D

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
OgreBattleField1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
OgreBattleField1980
Bohemian: 503 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 04, 23:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You do know there will be one all important element i think that would definatly be hit or miss with the Paul Rodgers role in Queen... the balads would be missing ... you would eventaually see more and more I want it all type songs in the Queen line up as far as new material would go. Atleast thats my opinion ... as far as a tour ... id love to see his rendition of White man ,or The Prophet song ...... hell just bring on all the heavy stuff im Ready , as that was my favorite parts of the Queen catalouge

Ogre Battle Lives FOREVER MORE!
Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 04, 04:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Many things seemed for real many times. Let's just wait and see.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 04, 04:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I, for one, would love that...Paul Rodgers has always been one of my favorite singers....but there was always that one guy I liked....that guy from Zanzibar or something, with the big teeth....what was his name? heh....

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 04, 05:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

4th threat about exact same issue... ?!

Look at the other ones to see why I say YEAH YEAH YEAG, GO GUYS! ;-)

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 04, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wouldn't say the thread is that much a repeated one. Not in a strict sense. It brings important new information to the situation. And, uh... HURRRRAYYYY!!! :D

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Mr. Teatime user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 114 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 04, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I will believe it when I see it... Roger has always been the one wanting to tour and do new material, Brian is the one who is more interested in the musical.

I get the impression that Roger has been heavily involved with the musical partly because of the opportunity to play live with Brian, not for the musical's sake on its own.

Anyway I'm glad to see Roger can still do drum rolls and so on, as seen in All Right Now. I hate the thought of having two drummers on stage, one to cover for the other :|

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 04, 08:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One thing only- NOTHING with Robbie, please...
If they want to do the whole album with Rodgers- thumbs up!!! Can't go bad with that one!!! :)

M. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 04, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><font size=1>ah yeah</font> wrote:

Quoted from www.therockradio.com, an interview with our beloved Roger Taylor today:

"We are planning some more material and we intend to work together [with Brian May] more. I think after Christmas, this year, we will completely slow down on the We Will Rock You [musical] front and maybe concentrate on, you know, some new studio work and maybe some live work."

About the possibility of a new album: "Well maybe, if we have enough... we have some great singers that we know and I think Brian [May] and I would sing some and then we will get some great singers... we are talking at the moment with Paul Rodgers who is.... who we always liked as a singer and he has an incredible voice."

This is not a new interview. The quotes are obviously taken from Thomas Zeidler's famous interview which caused so much confusion (when it was first published in the Austrian daily 'Kurier' and on the Austrian Fan Club site).

EDIT: I didn't click on the link...

"Guten Morgen, Sie wünschen geweckt zu werden!"
The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 04, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian seems to confirm it (at least not deny it) on it's soapbox, so this seems fantastic news to me. Queen moves on!!! Come on Bri and Rog, make this rocking world go round again!!

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 04, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm all for some new material with some decent singers, just aslong as they don't call themselves Queen...

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 04, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

David Jones wrote:

I'm all for some new material with some decent singers, just aslong as they don't call themselves Queen...

Here Here..

Chom own mudder fukker.
Johan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 162 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 04, 11:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

M. wrote:

Sir GH<br><font size=1>ah yeah</font> wrote:

This is not a new interview. The quotes are obviously taken from Thomas Zeidler's famous interview which caused so much confusion (when it was first published in the Austrian daily 'Kurier' and on the Austrian Fan Club site).

If this is true, it sucks...

Ride The Night To The Morning Sun..!
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 04, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What you actually have here is Brian just saying that he thinks it might be a good idea. Just like he thought that having a solo album of electric blues material would be a good idea and that a Queen retrospective box set would be a good idea. There is absolutely NOTHING definate about this AT ALL.

You have to remember that Paul is now a very successful solo artist in the USA and also has commitment with Bad Company to honor. Getting him to commit to a Queen venture may prove to be extremely tough in terms of management / record company legalities.

What IS interesting is what John thinks about all this - would this be the one vocalist that could bring John out of retirement? If there was ANYONE that could do it, I think it would be Paul, simply because he's the kind of hard-working professional that John was - Free worked the small clubs and had total control of their material from the time that their deal was signed and did the hard yards, just like Queen did.

Personally, I'd love to see it happen - Roger would certainly need to get into better shape than he was in at the awards ceremony (thought he looked as though he'd been sitting at the local pie shop eating cakes and biscuits........) and they would need to think hard about the number of musicians they REALLY need on stage (the Who finally understood the error in having a "big band" set up in 1996 & 1997, paring the whole thing down to 5 people in 1999 and providing an absolutely KILLER sound). - we would finally get to see some great shows that have been long over-due.

Benn
rachael mae. user not visiting Queenzone.com
i am lush
rachael mae.
Royalty: 1489 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 04, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally, I wouldn't like this. I don't like Paul at all, he just generally doesn't appeal to me as a performer or a singer. If they do collabarate on an album etc, then I would not like the group to be called Queen.

GiantSpider user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not getting too carried away...................FUCKING YEAH! ABout the point of no ballads: If Bri & Rog were to get thery're voices back into sharpe so to speak that could be the material they could contribute.

James

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Paul is quite a good singer, the HOF version of All Right Now proves he still has it too... I thought he didn't suit We Are The Champions though, he would have been better doing something like Tie Your Mother Down...

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i guess Paul Brian and Roger - if they produce an album - will probably make something that sounds like a 21st century Smile

go deo na h√Čireann